Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #85

On the 2 coaches I had them on I never had one come off. The only time I would think you might have that issue would be if you were sticking them on a curved surface.They are held on by a thin double sided adhesive material. I had a couple that had to go on a slightly rounded surface so I put a small bead of adhesive around the edges.

When I sold the first coach I had them on I took them off thinking I would get some new sticky backing and put them on the second coach. That doesn't work. They do not sell replacement sticky stuff and it would have been a bugger to get the old stuf off. What they do do is sell you a replacement set for half price.

Jim

jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #86

I was the one who made the comment about the adhesive drying out and coming loose. That may never be a problem for others. I think there are two reasons I've had this experience. 1. My coach spends about 9 months of the year in Las Vegas. In case you were not aware it can occasionally be rather hot and dry here. 2. I've had them on my coach for over 5 years. I've never actually lost one. I noticed after washing the coach that a couple of them were loose so I took them off cleaned the surfaces and glued them back on with silicon. I do make a point of checking them every few months, but it's really not a big deal. I've had to glue about a half dozen back on. It would never deter me from buying them for another coach.

It is hard to believe the comments generated by this thread. I guess it's just the way things are in this country today. Facts are only important if you happen to agree with them. Yes this is Rocket science, buy them or don't buy them, who cares?

Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #87

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Vegascouple -thanks for filling in the timeline. Agree with you all the way. Everyone seems to have their own set of facts these days (which is a very big issue) and it is rocket science - or aeronautical science for sure. I'm considering it - but if I don't it won't be because I'm a nonbeliever with an untried opinion. Just have scarce resources and have to pick and choose what i spend my money on. If it were well documented that they would pay for themselves in say 1 year of full time adventure (or I could roughly calculate that) it would be a no brainer. But I can't dispute the science (former AF ATC) or the handling improvement implied and experienced by others.

So I learned something here and saw my first Motorhome with a hot tub too! Thanks to all.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #88

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Vegascouple -thanks for filling in the timeline. Agree with you all the way. Everyone seems to have their own set of facts these days (which is a very big issue) and it is rocket science - or aeronautical science for sure. I'm considering it - but if I don't it won't be because I'm a nonbeliever with an untried opinion. Just have scarce resources and have to pick and choose what i spend my money on. If it were well documented that they would pay for themselves in say 1 year of full time adventure (or I could roughly calculate that) it would be a no brainer. But I can't dispute the science (former AF ATC) or the handling improvement implied and experienced by others.

So I learned something here and saw my first Motorhome with a hot tub too! Thanks to all.
Do a search about making your own..
Old 03-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #89

Fleetwood Owners Club
Average miles traveled in RV is about 5000 a year. Average gas cost per gallon Ca is about $4. Average miles per gallon traveled will say about 7 mpg. Time to recoup cost of Air Tabs is about 47 months or so. Gas savings over ten year period current senario...maybe $350.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting, have never noticed them or heard of them. But a good read this morning. The comments were worth the time spent reading. Thanks all.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #91

My company runs Mercedes Cargo Sprinters (high roof/extended wheelbase) over a constant route across Nevada between Utah and California. This can be a very windy area and some pretty nasty weather as well. We have several Sprinters on this route and have had the same drivers for years. so they know the route well.

I put airtabs on just one of the Sprinters and didn't tell anyone. :-) I put them up the sides and across the top, cost was around $150. I drove it right after the installation and immediately noticed the difference in handling wind buffeting. After a few trips one of the drivers came and told me that there was a problem with 2 of the vans, that it must be alignment or a suspension issue. He claimed he had trouble in the wind and knew something was wrong because the other sprinter didn't have the same problem! He was referring to the one I had put airtabs on. When I told them they couldn't believe it! It significantly improved the handling, particularly when passing or being passed by semi trucks. We immediately put them on the other Sprinters.

As far as mileage improvement, we haven't noted anything we can put our finger on yet. Our loads are quite variable as far as weight and that along with the variability in the weather makes it hard to compare one trip to the next. The handling improvements alone make them worth whatever they cost.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:28 AM   #92

Here is one of the many threads on Air Tabs. Mine work as described above.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #93

I read this thread months ago, which set me on a research project to check them out. Just re-read the entire thread, and the one thing that strikes me is that here and elsewhere, while a few users have not been thrilled that they can't document any real fuel savings, pretty consistently they all talk about a BIG improvement in handling.

Of the people who have actually USED these little guys, I have heard NO ONE bad mouth them.

Just sayin'

Kathryn

~~~

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #94

Fleetwood Owners Club
Buy a set for me and I will give you an honest evaluation.