Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
GOOD, Finally a tested road trip result for the air-tab product! I sure would like to hear more from people that used these and hear about the handling differances. Did the rear of the Coach stay cleaner?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #44

Rear camera never got to the point of not giving a good view. It rained for 400 miles of traveling. Most of it on the Natchez Trace. About half way down we stopped for lunch. Rear of motorhome and car were covered with black dirt. When we arrived at our stop for the night it was all gone. Last 40 miles were on I-20 with continuing rain. I believe the Trace does not get enough traffic to keep road surface clean like the Interstates do when it has heavy rain. We drove down from MI after a heavy snow fall. Lots of salt on the road. Not a spec is visible on motorhome. 400 mile long car wash.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
GOOD, Finally a tested road trip result for the air-tab product! I sure would like to hear more from people that used these and hear about the handling differances. Did the rear of the Coach stay cleaner?
Interesting isn't it. Here we have a product that has been on the market for years and yet, despite some amazing claims made for the benefits of fitting them, here we are relying on a single opinion of their effectiveness.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #46

Got your sarcastic hat on this morning Tony (-:
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #47

I've had them on our Dutch Star for about 3 years now. I thought the coach handled nice before I put them on. I had no idea that I was automatically compensating when passed by trucks or buses. There was no need to do that after I put on air tabs. The first time I drove in rain it was fascinating to watch the rear camera. It was like we had two outboard motors on each side of the coach. There was a wake on each side of the motor coach continuing around the tow instead of the swirl of water and dirt at the back of the coach. I have a motorcycle on a lift that once got very dirty when we traveled. The back of the coach once a dirt magnet stays much cleaner. I hardly notice the wind anymore as the coach tracks very well. I have no idea how it might have affected my mileage. I agree that air tabs are functional rather than adding to the attractiveness of the coach. However, I really don't think it affects the look of the coach negatively. No one had every mentioned that to me.

The only problem I'm having now is that I need to check them every few months as the glue is drying out. I've to take some of them off and glue them back on again. That could be because I spend a lot of time in hot dry climates.
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #48

Hi

This whole Air Tab thing I find interesting. I am very tempted to try them. I have a 40 DP and maybe they really do work.It seems like the only
People that say they don't work or they are snake
Oil is the group of us that Don't have them..
I can't say I like the way they look but if they help
Then maybe it's worth giving them a shot,
The question I have is can they be removed without a trace of them ever being there?
Thanks
Dale M
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The whole point is that they do work to straighten out the airflow and lessen the vortexes behind the coach. This alone will improve the handling characteristics as noted.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #50

I had them on our last two coaches. I liked the increased stability and the much cleaned rear of the coach and toad. I would have them on our present coach but the rear cap has large radius curved sides and top and I don't think they would be too effective. I painted them to match the coach color and I didn't think thet looked bad at all.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #51

Maybe they work, but I'm still analyzing to see if using STP helps my motor. I'll put Air Tabs on my list but it might be quite a few years before I finish testing all the gadgets before them .
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Got your sarcastic hat on this morning Tony (-:
No, just the one I usually wear

which leads me to the issue of confirmation bias and framing effect and ....

as evidenced by continuing sales of proven fuel scams and get-rich-quick schemes.

:-)))))
Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
unlike oil additives, vortex generators are a proven science...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=Tony Lee;1417437]Interesting isn't it. Here we have a product that has been on the market for years and yet, despite some amazing claims made for the benefits of fitting them, here we are relying on a single opinion of their effectiveness.[/QUOTE]
Well Tony we now have a couple more folks telling thier personal story of how this product works. Myself, claims are not real life descriptions of a true story, and now you can see by the additional posts that I don't have to rely on a " single opinion " As far as them "being on the market for years" , as I posted in the begining of this post I saw them for the first time this spring on that Essex and did not know what they were or even what they were suppose to do, so I find the comments from people that have used them and are using them to be factual and the opinion's seem to all be the same. So now the thread is not based as you claim on a single opinion. I also was wondering if you have ever used these air-tabs or known anyone personally that has due to they have "been on the market for years" ? And after all of those years that you have known about them you personally must not have a opinion on how effective they are?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
For the "nonbeliever" I suggest googling aviation vortex generators and read about the real science involved with FAA/NASA certification not to mention the $250,000 to $500,000 required to recieve the certification for EACH MODEL aircraft.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #56

I've had Air Tabs on my rig for five or six years now. As others have stated, they help stabilize things, like feathers on an arrow. It makes for a more pleasant experience driving in side winds and when being passed by the big square trucks.

I've noticed that when driving in rain, visability behind the coach is much improved. I assume the tabs are reducing the turbulence, thus directing a smoother flow of air (and water) behind the rig. This must be why the back stays much cleaner.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote