Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
AirCon not cooling. Is it worth repairing?

Our air conditioner (RVP Coleman) quit working. The fan and compressor kick on but does not cool. Worked fine the last time we used it in late June.
Are these things worth repairing or are they basically disposable? What does a 15,000 ducted system cost, installed?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 05:13 PM   #2

Pretty much disposable, not worth paying someone to repair it unless you know someone in the ac trade that will do it as a favor.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #3

Don't dismiss it so easy. If the compressor is indeed ON and stays on, then it is a duct/door issue. The compressor will not run if the freon is low and if there is a plugged line it will usually trip off due to high temp or amp draw.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Get on the roof and remove the cover, clean any debris and clean the condenser. You can find videos on line that show how to clean the condenser and filters.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #5

Better to replace whole unit. Top part the same, ducted or non ducted.
Just 4 bolts hold them down. Around $6-650. Shipped.
I'm 69 and can do it. Just get helper to slide up a ladder. 30 min swap out.

Coleman 48204C866 Mach 15 White 15 000 BTU RV Air Conditioner | eBay
Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasranger View Post
Better to replace whole unit. Top part the same, ducted or non ducted.
Just 4 bolts hold them down. Around $6-650. Shipped.
I'm 69 and can do it. Just get helper to slide up a ladder. 30 min swap out.

Coleman 48204C866 Mach 15 White 15 000 BTU RV Air Conditioner | eBay
Agree, but be sure to check if your present unit has a heat strip then order accordingly.
Bob
Old 08-06-2016, 05:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Actually, this is a heat pump unit. We never use that feature, as we have a portable heater and supplement it with the gas furnace when needed.
I would probably just replace it with a a/c only ducted unit and save a couple hundred.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I just replaced our Penguin heat pump-A/C unit. Everything was working fine, but the air coming out wasn't cold enough to keep the coach cool above 90 degrees. I cleaned the coils with coil cleaner to no effect. Even at the cost of a Penguin II, it wasn't worth trying to revive the old unit and even if I had been successful, how long would it have lasted?

The best price on air conditioner units I could find was PPL and I used them to get close to the price with a local RV shop. They charged me $225 to do the install and said they would do it for that price if I bought from them or brought one in.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Our air conditioner (RVP Coleman) quit working.
Are these things worth repairing or are they basically disposable? What does a 15,000 ducted system cost, installed?
This week, Camping World quoted me a sale price of $1100 and some change for a 15K Coleman. Installed, new face plate, w/ heat strip. The new faceplate and heat strip were optional and added about $150 each (parts & labor) to that total.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:23 AM   #10

a/c not cooling. Is it worth repairing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibike View Post
This week, Camping World quoted me a sale price of $1100 and some change for a 15K Coleman. Installed, new face plate, w/ heat strip. The new faceplate and heat strip were optional and added about $150 each (parts & labor) to that total.

Amazon has a 15k for $700 bucks. 15k heatpumps for $900.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:29 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Depends on what the problem is that is causing the A/C not to function correctly.

You first have to determine the cause then make a decision as to how much it will cost to repair versus installing a new A/C.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #12

If compressor is running then it is working...period.

They have a built in sensor or protector that kicks out on a bad compressor (usually) and if fan is running too then the basic stuff is all good.

Just do some basic troubleshooting.

First is it a heat pump?

Do yiu have a thermometer?

Get an ir thermometer as they are great for things like this.

First steps.

Turn unit on and measure temperature delta through the unit.

If it is heating (if you have a heat pump) a common issue is the selenoid coil on the valve goes bad or loose wire or stuck valve.

This valve reverses the flow of the "magic gas" to cool the outside while heating the inside.

Next use a match or lighter to test air flow as blocked air flow can restrict the cooling of the unit.

Last is get the exact model number of your unit which is usually on the bottom where you can see it with the cover removed inside and get a copy of the manual so you can see and follow the troubleshooting guide.

Service guys charge near 100 bucks an hour so consider your time worth that amount in savings to do same thing they will.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #13

Think the general rule if that electronics [eg capacitors and motherboards] are worth checking before replacing units but hard to diagnose sometimes--Colman seems to be hard on start capacitors but doesn't sound like your issue. Any leaks in the "Freon" loop [134a, 410a, etc] is a "death sentence" for these roof units...IMHO.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #14

One of my previous campers and a friends next door had the infamous Duo Therm SunSetter roof units that tended to spontaneously dump their freon when overloaded (instead of having a high pressure shut off switch) and they were from like the '70s.

not sure if Coleman had similar issues but it sounds like it. When it happened to me, instead of shelling out 1,000 dollars plus, I went and got a free one from a junkyard RV ( they used the engine for a race car and were crushing the rest aanyway so they let me have the unit)
Nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, repair