Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #1

Alarm Systems

After having been broken into two times we are looking into security systems any ideas? We did not put one in after the first break in because the storage facility upgraded their security but it did not stop them from getting back in.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. Here is a link to some previous threads on rv alarm systems which will give you sone ideas .
http://www.google.com/search?q=Alarm...earch=irv2.com

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi sorry to hear you got it twice that is sad. I took wood dowels and cut them down so the windows only open like 6 inches, like you would do to your sliding glass doors. So far so good. Again sorry too hear your bad news.
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #4

Sorry to hear you were hit. There are many companies that claim to specialize in RV security, here's just one of them; http://www.rvsecurity.us/products.htm

You don't mention how they got in? What type of RV do you have? Most RV's have your basic locks on the entry door, even some keyless will have an auxilary keyed override in case of failure. And that is one of the weakest links in the security of your RV. I can pick the typical lockset on any home or RV in less than one minute, don't ask me how i know how to do this. So can many of your thieves btw, it's actually very easy.

One of the best things you can do (besides securing your windows against penetration) is to do away with the typical RV deadbolt and replace it with a high security deadbolt. I'm not talking one of those they claim as such at the local Home Depot, but an actual commercial grade unit from Medeco or ASSA available only from locksmiths. They are double-bit high security keys which are virtually impossible to hand pick, even hard to do with professional pick guns.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
There are several factors to consider.

If you storage facility is kind of remote, then putting in a system that is not monitored is probably not gonna do you much good. Even if the facility is in a more populated area, the burglars know that even if someone hears the siren, most people don't pay much attention to them anymore. They will just go in, grab the GPS, TV, and electronics and be gone before someone gets tired of listening to the siren and calls 911.

The right way to do it would be to have a local alarm company install a system and set it up for cellular monitoring (since there will not be a phone line available). If your storage facility does not provide shore power then the alarm company would need to modify the system to run directly from 12 VDC. You would have to recharge the batteries on a regular basis using the generator, solar panels, or a portable battery charger.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here's something we did that works with Monaco coaches or other brands that have a keyless entry system made by one of the more popular companies, "Trimark".

Trimark basically uses an automotive alarm system to lock and unlock your doors. It has several other features that are attached, but typically not used. On ours, I noticed that the unit came with a flashing red LED on a 3' length of wire that Monaco just wrapped up under the dash.

I pulled the wiring out, cut it and added another 3' of wire to it. I ran the LED over to my right "A" pillar, drilled a small hole in the "A" pillar plastic cover (about 6" above the dash) and installed the LED. When I lock my coach with the remote, the red LED flashes until I unlock the coach. On mine, by locating it in the "A" pillar facing forward, it can be seen from the front and reflects in my mirror and can be seen when approaching from the rear on the passenger side. It can be a good deterrent.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Hi sorry to hear you got it twice that is sad. I took wood dowels and cut them down so the windows only open like 6 inches, like you would do to your sliding glass doors. So far so good. Again sorry too hear your bad news.
Great idea..Thank you we will do this...they came in the door on our unit with a crowbar. The first time they just broke out the window and unlocked it.

Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
Sorry to hear you were hit. There are many companies that claim to specialize in RV security, here's just one of them; http://www.rvsecurity.us/products.htm

You don't mention how they got in? What type of RV do you have? Most RV's have your basic locks on the entry door, even some keyless will have an auxilary keyed override in case of failure. And that is one of the weakest links in the security of your RV. I can pick the typical lockset on any home or RV in less than one minute, don't ask me how i know how to do this. So can many of your thieves btw, it's actually very easy.

One of the best things you can do (besides securing your windows against penetration) is to do away with the typical RV deadbolt and replace it with a high security deadbolt. I'm not talking one of those they claim as such at the local Home Depot, but an actual commercial grade unit from Medeco or ASSA available only from locksmiths. They are double-bit high security keys which are virtually impossible to hand pick, even hard to do with professional pick guns.
We have a 2013 Tiffin Allegro Open Road..just took delivery in Feb. They came in the entry door...We have looked at the system you mention here and are also looking at some others and we will change the lock...since they broke the window out of our last unit we didn't think the lock was the problem. Thanks for responding,
Old 07-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Here's something we did that works with Monaco coaches or other brands that have a keyless entry system made by one of the more popular companies, "Trimark".

Trimark basically uses an automotive alarm system to lock and unlock your doors. It has several other features that are attached, but typically not used. On ours, I noticed that the unit came with a flashing red LED on a 3' length of wire that Monaco just wrapped up under the dash.

I pulled the wiring out, cut it and added another 3' of wire to it. I ran the LED over to my right "A" pillar, drilled a small hole in the "A" pillar plastic cover (about 6" above the dash) and installed the LED. When I lock my coach with the remote, the red LED flashes until I unlock the coach. On mine, by locating it in the "A" pillar facing forward, it can be seen from the front and reflects in my mirror and can be seen when approaching from the rear on the passenger side. It can be a good deterrent.

That does seem to deter people from our cars..just didn't think of this for our MH..We will be installing a security system and will make sure they know it is secured. Thank you for your response.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #10

One of the most effective methods I've seen (personally) to deter break-ins was from a friend of many years ago. He obtained a roll of plastic yellow CRIME SCENE tape (non-sticky) and made 1 wrap all the way around the coach whenever he took it to the storage facility. He also created a very authentic looking notice on a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 that said something like entering an active crime scene was illegal blah blah or something like that taped right on the entry door at eye level over the lock/handle assembly. Since it was never broken into at storage it would be hard to determine if it actually helped or not - but it certainly could not hurt :-)
Old 07-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
There are several factors to consider.

If you storage facility is kind of remote, then putting in a system that is not monitored is probably not gonna do you much good. Even if the facility is in a more populated area, the burglars know that even if someone hears the siren, most people don't pay much attention to them anymore. They will just go in, grab the GPS, TV, and electronics and be gone before someone gets tired of listening to the siren and calls 911.

The right way to do it would be to have a local alarm company install a system and set it up for cellular monitoring (since there will not be a phone line available). If your storage facility does not provide shore power then the alarm company would need to modify the system to run directly from 12 VDC. You would have to recharge the batteries on a regular basis using the generator, solar panels, or a portable battery charger.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
We have a security system in our home and are also considering the same company for the MH..We will use a solar panel to keep the batteries charged. Since it will be in for repairs we have a little time to consider our options and I agree that it will need a monitored system. The facility where it is stored has video but from what we are told they were completely covered head to toe so IDing them is out. Thank you for your response. Happy trails and God Bless.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sorry to hear of your loss.

We did a lot of research before taking delivery of our unit, we wanted a system that would not only protect our MH while we were not there, but would also protect the entry ways and provide peace of mind while we were sleeping. Some of the systems built into today's units are just glass break sensors, we wanted something more than that.

Ended up with the Global RV Guardian from Guardian Systems. You can customize the sensors, we ended up with the entryway, plus also motion, glass break and low voltage sensors ... and a big siren! The system is GPS based, gives you the vehicle location every 24 hours, plus you can also arm and disarm remotely through their website. When we're aboard we just put the motion sensor in a drawer!

Unfortunately, it's not cheap and there's an ongoing monthly charge, but it meets our requirements.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #13

I looked into having a monitored alarm installed on my MH. It seemed like a good idea. After considering that my MH is stored in a secured lot, and even if the alarm went off, responding police would be slowed down in getting into the facility, I decided against it. So I took it upon myself to secure windows with dowels as previously mentioned and use both door locks. A monitored system requires separate cell phone and power needs. Not practical if stored for the winter.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I looked into having a monitored alarm installed on my MH. It seemed like a good idea. After considering that my MH is stored in a secured lot, and even if the alarm went off, responding police would be slowed down in getting into the facility, I decided against it. So I took it upon myself to secure windows with dowels as previously mentioned and use both door locks. A monitored system requires separate cell phone and power needs. Not practical if stored for the winter.

That's why I mentioned that you will have to provide for charging the batteries on a regular basis. The cellular monitoring on an alarm system has nothing to do with regular cell phones. It uses a special cellular communicator designed specifically for alarm use. You pay for this cellular service through the alarm company you are using.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote