Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2005, 09:02 PM   #15

I suppose it is 'each to their own' but NO FERRY for us. We have driven the ALCAN and thoroughly enjoyed every mile ...well, there might had been a mile here and there that could had been better but that comes with the trip. By careful driving, we never suffered any damage to our truck and/or 5th wheel ...both just as tight as ever. Yes, we have a few hits on the front side of the fiver from rocks being kicked back from the truck and also some caused by an 18 wheeler ...those are now considered souvenirs of the trip.

Again, we would advise anyone going to/from Alaska, especially for the first time, to travel by land ...I'll bet you will see and experience a much better trip. In general, the ALCAN is a very good highway.

Rich & Zara

Our RV trip to Alaska
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2005, 02:48 AM   #16

Keep these cards and letters coming as this is all valuable information. Thanks for taking the time to tell us of your experiences.
Sissy7378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:20 AM   #17

Still looking at Alaska but the first job fell through since we cannot get there in time. Have another offer in Skagway, Alaska and it sounds great so we are hoping for this one. Not as far to go and can work it into our schedule. We work here in FL until April 1 when we will drive to Nebraska and spend two weeks there before heading to Alaska. Certainly appreciate all the info from your good folks. RVers are the best.
Sissy7378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:47 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We enjoyed Skagway very much but don't think I would want to be there 4 months. As a community it is pretty isolated, quite a distance over some rugged grades to White Horse and although just 45 minutes from Haines by Ferry, believe that it is several hundred by road. Hope you enjoy it.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:56 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gordo:
We enjoyed Skagway very much but don't think I would want to be there 4 months. As a community it is pretty isolated, quite a distance over some rugged grades to White Horse and although just 45 minutes from Haines by Ferry, believe that it is several hundred by road. Hope you enjoy it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I totally agree with Gordo with his comments about Skagway.

I have been told of summer workers staying in Alaska for more than 3-months having to change their vehicle registrations to that of Alaska, including their RV's. Someone here on iRV2 may be able to provide better information. If need be, you could contact the Alaska DOT for the true story.

Rich

Our RV trip to Alaska
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:04 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In Skagway there are three populations in the summer - cruise ship passenger, summer help, & full time resident. I saw the summer help camps next to the tracks of the White Pass & Yukon RR. Some were RVs most were simple tent cities. Saw a lot of different plates from the lower 48 so I am not sure of any reg law. I could believe that you must live there at least 90 days to declare residency. Skagway is somewhat isolated, but does have a road in and out. Yes Haines is 20-30 min by water and 400mi by land. You must go to Whitehorse and then to Haines Jct and down to Haines. IMHO Haines was not much to see.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #21

I've always wanted to drive to Alaska, since I have covered the lower 48 several times. But after talking to quite a few RVers who have had their RVs completely unloaded and practically taken apart by the Canadian border guards just because their number came up for an inspection I have decided to pass. And I understand it has gotten even worse since 9/11. One couple from Florida in a pickup camper said it took them 2 days to get things back in order to travel again after the border guards got thru with them. A retired couple from Michigan said they could hear the guards digging thru their things in the 5th wheel while they had to wait outside for abut two hours. Others have had no problems. Just be prepared for anything from them. Good luck on your summer.
Wagonmaster2
Old 12-06-2005, 09:17 PM   #22

Having relations on both sides of the border I have crossed many times both ways with little or no problems. I have found through experience that if you do a little homework and have the necessary information lined up it will probably not be an unpleasent experience. Anyone I have ever talked to about a bad experience at the border, and by the way it isn't just the Canadians that can be pretty tough when they want, has admitted that they were trying to pull something or just were not very pleasent when they finally got up to the booth. Remember that the person working at the border may have been on shift for several hours and been dealing with all kinds prior to you. I have always found that just being pleasent, answering their questions politely, and as I've already said, having the necessary papers ready will get you by.

The last time we crossed we were asked if we had any fruit or vegetables with us and I said 'no'. The guard asked if it would be alright if he took a look (I knew this was not really a request) and I said to go ahead and went with him. When he opened the refrigerator I was embarassed when he found an apple that the wife had forgotten to throw out. He cautioned me that although apples were not restricted I had stated that there was no fruit at all. He said in future I should answer that I didn't believe we had anything thus giving me an out in the event something like that was forgotten again. I guess if it had been a restricted fruit and the guard wanted to be tough about it I could have been faced with a $500 fine.

421 days till freedom

'04 F150 5.4L 3.73 HD Tow
WillYum is offline   Reply With Quote