Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #1

Im asking if anyone as gorn to Alaska on there own?I do not want to be part of a group and I think if I can go to other states on my own I should be ok there, Im sure that have good roads.I guess what im asking what are some things to avoid and what not. We are planing this for probbably in the year or so.
Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #2

Im asking if anyone as gorn to Alaska on there own?I do not want to be part of a group and I think if I can go to other states on my own I should be ok there, Im sure that have good roads.I guess what im asking what are some things to avoid and what not. We are planing this for probbably in the year or so.
Jim

Old 05-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There is no reason not to go to Alaska alone, if that's the way you prefer to travel. Road conditions vary and you will generally travel at a slower pace than in the lower 48, but it is not desolate or dangerous. Even if you break down somewhere, somebody will be along shortly. Services are often many miles away and you may have to wait a day or two for parts to be shipped in, but you are not going to be in any danger.

The best advice I can give is do not ever run low on fuel - fill up at 1/3-1/2 tank so you always have plenty in reserve.

We spent the entire summer of 2002 in Alaska, Yukon and BC and had a ball. It's wonderful pace if you love animals and scenery. Not such a great place if you like fine dining and professional entertainment.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
May I suggest that before you leave on your wonderful journey that you pick up the current yearly milepost...this is a book that will tell you about all the most current road conditions, sites to see... etc.
My in-laws went up to Alaska in 1994 and had a GREAT time. They would have been in their early 70's at the time. We did give them the "milepost" as a present before they went on their trip.

HERE is a link to the current Milepost on Amazon.com

Have a GREAT time ... I know there are many people out there that are envious of your trip!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Jim, if you click on the "Find" button and do a search on Alaska you will have everything posted about it on iRV2.com. Be sure to unclick the box where it will limit your search and check the entire forum. Good luck and have a great summer.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:52 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
We went to Alaska 'alone' in 2001, my thread is still on iRV2 and can be located using the "Find" feature that RV Wizard mentioned.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are going to leave next Wed/Thur (16 or 17) for Alaska. Really looking forward to it. We have some relatives to see first so our entry into Canada S. of Calgary will be about June 16-18.

Absolutely get Mile Post for best available general info and supplement with local knowledge when driving it.

Have fun and perhaps we will X paths.

Dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #8

My husband and I have been to Alaska 3 times on our own. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. If you take it slow and easy, you should be okay. If there is any road construction, they ask that you yield to their machinery, but there is a lead vehicle to follow. It is our favorite place to visit. With the fuel prices as they are, we probably will not drive again, but fly and rent a motorhome. I know you will have a wonderful time!
Old 05-09-2007, 06:25 PM   #9

Thanks for all the good advice. That would be great or better to fly out and rent but we have a golden retriver and two cats that travel with us and we will see some other states as well. our desire is to see this country.
Jim
Old 05-09-2007, 10:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If everything goes right, we will be leaving California for Alaska on Friday the 10th.