Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyandRed View Post
.Should we take 2 spare tires for the trailer?
If you want to buy extra and have the room to store them, by all means take them. However, keep in mind that not everyone has tire problems, in fact, very few do compared to how many travel there. We didn't.

One thing that makes tires blow on trailer is overloading the trailer. Know your limits. Also, just drive slow threw the construction areas.

Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 07:05 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiw View Post
My husband and I are planning on going from FL to Alaska in our Itasca Sunova, this coming summer. Leaving in May and returning to FL by November. Don't have our itinerary yet. We are on a wait list for a caravan but may just go ourselves. There are pros and cons to each. Would love to find other RVers to meet up with and/or travel with
Debbie - the way I see it, with Alaska summers being so cool, you would not need electric hookups for A/C, so you could boondock 6 days a week. But commercial caravan companies will camp in RV parks every night, making the trip so much more expensive. And other than group camaraderie, I don't see any need for a caravan. With caravans costing about $100 a day more than going it alone, how could that be worthwhile
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:16 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our way

Well, we are on our way. Presently in Great Falls, have a 9AM appointment for a minor repair and then hope to continue on our way. Plan on spending a couple of days at St Mary Campground at Glacier, crossing into Canada and then onto Banff and Lake Louise. Then on our way north.
debbiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #18

About a month until our departure for AK. I'd like to impose on anyone who has been up there in a motorhome for a bit of advice:

We thought we were going to make the trip unencumbered, then we thought we'd take a trailer and a vehicle, now we are contemplating taking a toad. Our motorhome is 44' overall and does not have a tight turning radius. We have concerns that towing anything might limit our access to accommodations. Any comments along those lines would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Let me put things into perspective for you. My total rig is about 72 feet long which includes coach plus cargo trailer. We have made three trips to Alaska and back to spend the summer with my sons and grandchildren. I never had any problems finding places to park for the night or stay for a few months.

Trust me you will have a much better trip if you take a car with you to use for all of the sightseeing that you will want to do while there.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Let me put things into perspective for you. My total rig is about 72 feet long which includes coach plus cargo trailer. We have made three trips to Alaska and back to spend the summer with my sons and grandchildren. I never had any problems finding places to park for the night or stay for a few months.

Trust me you will have a much better trip if you take a car with you to use for all of the sightseeing that you will want to do while there.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks for the feedback. Are you able to take your trailer to your sites, or do you move it to overflow parking?
Old 06-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
We thought we were going to make the trip unencumbered, then we thought we'd take a trailer and a vehicle, now we are contemplating taking a toad. Our motorhome is 44' overall and does not have a tight turning radius. We have concerns that towing anything might limit our access to accommodations. Any comments along those lines would be appreciated. Thanks!
We spent the summer in our 40' MH towing the Jeep. You won't have any problems with your MH & trailer.

For the most part Alaskan RV parks are not like you're used to in the lower 48. They are basically just a big parking space. RVing in a very short season and the RV park owners don't put a lot into the parking spaces. You're not going to be in a heavily forested park maneuvering between trees although there might be some like that.

Just GO and enjoy your trip. Drive slowly through the construction areas. We didn't have any damage issues.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. Are you able to take your trailer to your sites, or do you move it to overflow parking?
I have never had to disconnect my trailer when staying at any RV Park while traveling to and from Alaska. I have favorite places in Prince George, Watson Lake, Whitehorse and Tok. The rest of the time I am parked overnight in a safe off the road area for the night.

Once I am in Fairbanks or Anchorage where both of my sons live then the RV Park has me park the trailer in a special location for the duration of my two month stay in each location.

You will be towing a car which is far more easier to deal with and thousands of other RVer's who are making the same trip there will have a similar setup. Then there will be thousands of others who will rent a Class C for their time while in Alaska. Those are the ones that will use their RV for ALL of their transportation.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
About a month until our departure for AK. I'd like to impose on anyone who has been up there in a motorhome for a bit of advice:

I would say forget trailers or toads and get one of these: Motorcycle Carriers, Haulers and Racks for Trailer Hitches | Discount Ramps
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:35 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post

I would say forget trailers or toads and get one of these: Motorcycle Carriers, Haulers and Racks for Trailer Hitches | Discount Ramps
Great idea for the lower 48 states but not for Alaska! If the motorcycle is not fully covered completely it will have 2-3 inches of dirt and mud on every square inch of the motorcycle by the time you reach Alaska. In addition to keeping it clean make sure you have HD rain gear to wear when using the motorcycle for shopping, sightseeing trips, etc. as it rains frequently during the summer months in Alaska.

Personally I prefer the convenience of a car for shopping, side trips, sightseeing and staying dry during the inclement weather.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #25

Air Brake Certification in Canada?

Has anyone had to deal with Air Brake requirements in Canada? I heard you need certification or there are hefty fines.
samschudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by samschudi View Post

Has anyone had to deal with Air Brake requirements in Canada? I heard you need certification or there are hefty fines.
Are you considering a residence move to Canada that would require you to change driver's license?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by samschudi View Post
No need. Your state drivers license is all you need. over think this. I live 1 hour from the border and we cross all the time with very few questions. It is less troublesome to cross the border in a busy port of entry as the folks working the check points need to keep traffic moving. We crossed once at a little podunk, daytime only, crossing and the guard kept us there for a half hour just wanting to bs. He was bored.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #28

I live in BC and I need an air endorsement to drive my RV and I just checked and what ever you need in your own state that's all you need here. If you are towing a toad you need some kind of protection for your head lights and windshield for the toad. I thought
my mud flap would protect my car. We stayed in some of the most beautiful rest areas
and boon docked the whole way. Try to fuel up in the large town as the small places can
be expensive
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote