Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Alaska 2016?

We are planning a return trip to AK and wonder how many other irv2 folks will be in AK next year. For a little background we made the trip in 2009. Ak's 50th anniversary of statehood. We had a older Safari and needed some work done in Whitehorse, YK. With the wait for parts and finding a mechanic I trusted we won't be traveling in our older HR Navigator. We will be using our pickup and a 21 ft. travel trailer. Getting a truck repair mechanic is easy, every town has one and I have, over the years worked on all the parts of a rv so I can do most house repairs.This will be a shorter trip, about 2 months +/-. Leaving home about the mid part of June and returning home the end of Aug. We hope to see some of you on the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
I had signed up for an AdventureCaravan 61 Day Alaskan Trek last year. Rance Aluminum Trailer promised delivery of a custom 28' enclosed car trailer in time for my trek but, Rance failed to deliver on time (trailer two+ months late and, NOT to spec). I canceled (incurring a hefty fee). I DO want to get back to AK by RV, Next year may be it. Do you have a general timeline ~ schedule?

Old 10-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
I had signed up for an AdventureCaravan 61 Day Alaskan Trek last year. Rance Aluminum Trailer promised delivery of a custom 28' enclosed car trailer in time for my trek but, Rance failed to deliver on time (trailer two+ months late and, NOT to spec). I canceled (incurring a hefty fee). I DO want to get back to AK by RV, Next year may be it. Do you have a general timeline ~ schedule?
Leaving in June and back home by Labor day. Drumheller dinasor park in Alberta on the way North. Denali, Halibut fishing and flight to Barrow while in AK.
NY24 check your e-mail. I have more for you.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #4

Alaska in 2016

June to early Sept. Is a good time. Buy the "Milepost" book then you know what is coming up and a wealth of other info. Enjoy your trip we may go for a fourth time.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #5

The Milepost, Mike and Terri Church's book 'Alaskan Camping' which includes Canada and the Yukon, and the 2/1 TourSaver coupon book are all you need for planning the trip and all available online.

The last time we went was in 2009 and had no issues with our 40' motorhome or our towed Jeep. It was also the warmest, driest year so no mosquitoes either.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:09 AM   #6

Alaska 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
Leaving in June and back home by Labor day. Drumheller dinasor park in Alberta on the way North. Denali, Halibut fishing and flight to Barrow while in AK.

We are planning a trip to Alaska also in 2016, would be interest in small group traveling together.

Thomas
Our Big RV Adventures - Facebook Group
Old 01-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My husband and I are planning on going from FL to Alaska in our Itasca Sunova, this coming summer. Leaving in May and returning to FL by November. Don't have our itinerary yet. We are on a wait list for a caravan but may just go ourselves. There are pros and cons to each. Would love to find other RVers to meet up with and/or travel with
Old 01-18-2016, 10:42 PM   #8

From our experience you meet up with many of the same folks time after time on the long trip to Alaska. Trying to travel as a group would be difficult because everyone has different interests. You might want to stay longer in one place and shorter in another.

The Alaska trip is easy to do and no different than taking a cross-country trip in the lower 48. The only difference is that it's long. Don't think about it in terms of total miles. Just take it a day at a time stopping for however long you want.

I think a lot of people hear repeated horror stories from years past. All of the major roads are paved now but there will be areas of construction just like in the lower 48. This is not interstate-speed driving. Take it nice and slow and you won't get any damage.

Fuel is readily available but the distances between stations might be longer than you're used to having. It's best to drive on the top half of your tank. Fill when you see it and don't try to shop for prices.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:06 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
From our experience you meet up with many of the same folks time after time on the long trip to Alaska. Trying to travel as a group would be difficult because everyone has different interests. You might want to stay longer in one place and shorter in another.

The Alaska trip is easy to do and no different than taking a cross-country trip in the lower 48. The only difference is that it's long. Don't think about it in terms of total miles. Just take it a day at a time stopping for however long you want.

I think a lot of people hear repeated horror stories from years past. All of the major roads are paved now but there will be areas of construction just like in the lower 48. This is not interstate-speed driving. Take it nice and slow and you won't get any damage.

Fuel is readily available but the distances between stations might be longer than you're used to having. It's best to drive on the top half of your tank. Fill when you see it and don't try to shop for prices.
I agree with twogypsies. The only thing different about the roads is that they are re-paving many areas, especially in the Yukon and NWT. There may be some stretches of road that have been reduced to gravel and will be extremely dusty or muddy depending on the weather. While they are re-paving a few miles, there may be 20 - 40 miles already reduced to gravel. Just watch out for other drivers, especially those who refuse to obey the slower speed limits and thus sling gravel in all directions as they go their merry way.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #10

I highly recommend buying the Alaska Tour Saver 2 for 1 coupon book: https://www.travelalaska.com/Special...m_medium=email
It will pay for itself if you take 3-4 tours, don't forget the airplane ride around/over the top of Denali. You may even want to land on and walk on a glacier in the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
re: Halibut fishing in AK. I suggest doing so at Seward or another place. Homer is the most popular place. We were there in '12 and the Halibut fishing was poor, all fished-out IMO unless you charter an all day trip so you are taken 2X as far out where some 60#+ are caught. The limit is 2 per license, and the biggest anyone caught from our 1/2 day charter boat was around 40#.
One of my friends chartered a Homer Spit all-day trip, got out to the limit of their turn-around, boat motor quit. They spent 12 hrs waiting on Coast Guard to come tow the boat back to port; no BIG Halibut either.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #11

It will be interesting to see what the weather brings this year. So far the State is expecting a 'banner number' of tourist again this year. It seems that traveling to Alaska is a lot safer then going to some areas world wide. I also suspect that the cost of fuel might making coming to Alaska a better deal.
As has already been stated, take your time on the roads and watch for construction areas. There is so much to do up here that it could be 'over whelming for some.
Safe travels to all coming this way this summer!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

Halibut fishing in AK. I suggest doing so at Seward or another place. Homer is the most popular place. We were there in '12 and the Halibut fishing was poor, all fished-out IMO unless you charter an all day trip so you are taken 2X as far out where some 60#+ are caught. The limit is 2 per license, and the biggest anyone caught from our 1/2 day charter boat was around 40#.
One of my friends chartered a Homer Spit all-day trip, got out to the limit of their turn-around, boat motor quit. They spent 12 hrs waiting on Coast Guard to come tow the boat back to port; no BIG Halibut either.
Yes, I was also there for the summer of 2012 and fished halibut out of the Homer Spit as I always do and it WAS the worst year for Halibut. However, the 2012 Homer Halibut Derby winner was 323.2 lbs. A very respectable fish!

I was back to Homer this past summer and had the BEST halibut fishing day EVER. I caught a 126.5 lb halibut along with a second halibut that was 29 inches long. Since the reg's have changed you are now allowed to catch one Halibut any length and one no longer than 29 inches. You are still allowed two per day and no halibut fishing on Thursday.

I always book with my favorite charter called North Country Charters and I always ride with my favorite Captain, Ben, on the Fringe Benefit. The charter is a family owned and run business and Ben is one of the sons.

I ended up with 84 lb's of processed and packaged halibut. I had to buy a large 63 qt. ARB portable fridge/freezer combo just to store the fish in as it would not all fit into our residential freezer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5952.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	117133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5934.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	117134  

Old 01-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #13

Impressive halibut! That must have been tiring pulling that one off the bottom.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:16 PM   #14

Alaska and tire question

My husband and I have a new Wildwood 171RBXL pulled by an F150 , will drive to Alaska this summer. Being newbies, this forum has provided a wealth of information and help, and I am so glad it exists. We have a TPM, are hoping for the best, but want to be prepared for the unexpected. Should we take 2 spare tires for the trailer?