Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggrvusa View Post

Wow, what a great wealth of information! Thank you all for taking the time to respond. We are picking up Milepost tonight and start planning.
Usually the newest edition comes out on March 1st.

Milepost 2015: Kris Valencia: 9781892154347: Amazon.com: Books

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #16

We went with Adventure Treks since we thought that would be a one time trip.
We haven't done caravans before.
If that's the way you decide to go do a search online there are several companies.
Pick the one that sounds best to you.
We chose Adventure Treks in part because their groups were smaller than most of the others and within a few days everyone knew everyone else.
We probably saw some things that we might have missed on our own.
However you decide to go enjoy it! it truly is an awesome trip.
Milt

Old 01-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Alaska?

Have Fun!
Old 01-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #18

We went on a caravan with Adventure Caravans in 2012 and had a fabulous time. Plenty of free time, took advantage of group rates several times, met some great people that we still visit with and saw many sights that we likely would not have seen if we traveled solo. Already thinking about doing it again. have a great trip!!!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:10 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Question here:

~ I know the Milepost for 2015 is available now. But when does each years edition come to market?

~ As far as "turn-offs", how well does the Milepost describe each "pull-off", "turn off" or even the details of each state park campground or private park?

Plan to go the summer of 16'. Can add this: having flown up to the North Pole area 4-5 times in the last 15 years I never have seen the campgrounds full in and around the Fairbanks and North Pole area. The state parks all seemed to have nice level gravel camp sites. Here area a IRV2 picture gallery from our last two trips. AK. 2013 AK. 2008
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post

Question here:

~ I know the Milepost for 2015 is available now. But when does each years edition come to market?
Refer to post #15

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #21

The Milepost will give pull-off info. However, their camping information is very spotty, old and biased. The campgrounds place the ads.

I would highly recommend Mike and Terry Church's book 'Alaskan Camping' which included Canada and the Yukon. They lived in Fairbanks and travel back and forth so they know the campgrounds. They also give some nice boondocking spots and information on the state parks along with good directions.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #22

The Milepost is a great guide! It is the most up-to-date you'll find. Keep in mind even it's data can a year old due to information gathering, assembly, and printing, and things change. Our 2012 issue (for our 2012 Alaska caravan) listed several businesses that were planned stops for the caravan that were closed when we arrived. IMO those closings were due to the economy downturn which hit Canada just as hard as the U.S.
My point? Phone before driving somewhere important to you and get confirmation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
loved the pics!!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:27 AM   #24

Lots of great info, the only thing I would add is once you get into the upper half of British Columbia, and for the remainder of the trip is make sure your camera is on the dashboard at all times.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #25

I am planning on a Alaska trip myself, possibly in 2017. I have looked at several of them, with the SMART tour being the cheapest. I am a disabled vet, so I like the idea of them. More days, less cost.

Having said that, many of the larger companies provide more in terms of pre-paid tours. It also costs something to produce the fancy (and very nice) catalogs. And have someone respond almost immediately when they are called or emailed.

I have ordered my 2015 MilePost, with a pre-order discount on Amazon for ~$26. I will order more as the years go by to get updated information.

All I need now is an RV and a truck to pull it... And time to do the trip. Those are coming. Retire in 2016 at 56, buy a used Keystone Montana class RV, and a new Ford F350 6.7 diesel in 2016.

I am still deciding on a caravan or not. Either way, see you all there!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #26

If retired as we are, I would forego a tour and just do it yourself as we did. That way you would be on your own timetable. We spent a whole summer wandering around and wouldn't change a thing.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I think I'll order the Milepost now to gather more info for my 2016 trip, then get Mike and Terry Church's book 'Alaskan Camping next spring.

Here is also a nice free bee. Go to www.northtoalaska.com ( North to Alaska) and sign up for the "free" guide. It comes with a large (21" x 30") fold out full color map showing an over-view of the different routes thru BC., Yukon and Alaska.

Here is another good research site called Sue's Yukon Sights lots of pictures with descriptions.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #28

Some folks say they saw more with a tour than doing it on your own. I would like to know the things they saw.

If you look on the itineraries for tours they are basically all the same. There are very few roads on the trip so everyone has a chance to do it all.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote