Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Maybe you have already but I would suggest spending as much time as possible in the "new" mh prior to a trek like this just to get most of the new motorhome bugs resolved.
This is very important. You don't want to go to AK and spend the entire trip trying to get things to work or working the bugs out of your new RV.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing you might consider is the Great Alaskan Toursaver which is a two for one attractions discount. It encouraged us to take more tours and if the wife could have done flightseeing, we would have done that also. Alaska Travel Deals | Alaska Vacations | Alaska TourSaver

You didn't say how long you would stay in Alaska or if you fish. If you are, check out an annual fishing license ahead of time. Licenses and Permits, Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Old 03-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The Cassiar Highway(37) is notorious for being rough early in the season and for that reason I'd recommend using the Al-Can(97)on the trip into Alaska while in BC. We returned via the Cassiar late in the season and found it to be in pretty good shape...some construction, but not a lot. The Al-Can is heavily used and they seem to maintain the road with more frequency.

Whitehorse is a good location to decide if you want to take the Klondike Hwy into Dawson City, cross the Yukon River and on to the Top of the World Hwy. We, unfortunately, had rain for 10 days and the TOTW was a pothole/washboard muddy mess. It took over 7 hours to drive into Chicken from the Yukon River(111 miles) and had to wait until Tok, AK to find out if the MH and Jeep were the same color. If it's been raining for a long period of time, I'd take the Al-Can on into Tok and avoid the Top of the World...but, it IS a magnificent drive if it's in reasonable shape and not to be missed.

From Tok, you can either head north to Fairbanks(my personal preference) or head southwest to do the 'loop' counter clockwise - depends on the areas you want to visit and your time restraints. Have fun...lots to see and do. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #18

Great information. We're certainly looking forward to the trip. You folks have been a big help.
Lancer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #19

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You might consider doing the Top of the World Highway from west to east on your way home. Reason is the customs station at the AK/YT border doesn't open until 8 a.m. We stayed overnight in Chicken and left about 4:30 am (it is already daylight). Traveling east before the customs station opens means you will meet no oncoming traffic during the drive (well, maybe one coming from Eagle). Makes for an easy and peaceful drive with easy opportunities to pull over for pictures.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't really comment on what to prepare for but it sounds like a really great trip coming up and I can only hope you have a great time. Sure a lot of info here to get ready for the adventure. I know it's a way off but please keep us up to date on your travels. Good luck, be safe and Happy Motoring!!!!
By the way welcome to the forum.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Although they will seem to be too expensive do take some of the tourist trips such as the Denali trip and going into the Valdez area was unforgetable. Fishing out of Homer is great and if you are an Elks Member some cities have neat lodges. Stay long enough to see the N.Lights.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I told my wife I wanted to go join the Hoffmans next year. I could be the camp cook!
Get that sluice built. If you're successful you may just move up thar'.
I got gold fever...

I'm going to build my own small sluice. My brother owns a machine where I can weld some aluminum plate and ripple screens together.

While in Fairbanks do the Riverboat Discovery paddle-boat trip. Pricey $$$ but very informative... I believe there are discounts floating around.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
We did Alaska last summer and I would definitely recommend adding Mike and Terri Church’s Alaska Camping book to your library. We found all the entries to be factual and used it religiously on our journey. I made our reservations on the same day either in the morning before leaving or around lunch time. We only had a problem twice and that was no pull through left so I had to unhook our tow dolly.

Don't expect to be able to find a spot very easily in Kenai between July 15th and the 30th. That is the salmon dip net season for the locals and campgrounds are normally booked a year in advance.

We did the Top of the World from Dawson to Chicken after several days of rain. It was a challenge but I would do it again. Just go slow, don't be afraid to pull over and let the speedsters pass you and enjoy the scenery. There were 3 rigs that went off the road in the days preceding our trip and according to the Customs Agent all 3 mishaps involved excess speed for the road conditions.

Enjoy yourself and stay safe.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #24

We did A Good Sam Caraventure 2 years. Great trip.

Get a Safeway members card, its free. You will need to buy groceries, when you go there and use the card you will get a discount on groceries and credit discount for gas. The more you buy the bigger the discount.

Protect the front of you MH and vehicle.

Start cooking now and freeze meal flat in ziplock freezer bags. Thaw out and heat, tastes just as good with less work and buying of groceries.

Bring rain gear with hood

Get emails of friends that cannot make the trip and send pics as you travel. They will enjoy the trip with you.

Enjoy the trip

James
Jymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take plenty of mosquito repellant. The mosquitos in Alaska are the size of dive bombers and some people call them the state bird.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304
Take plenty of mosquito repellant. The mosquitos in Alaska are the size of dive bombers and some people call them the state bird.

Jon
That's what I was told in 04 when I went. Never saw one in 8 weeks during mid June to mid August. Lucky I guess.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
In addition to the Milepost, I highly recommend Mike and Terri Church's book "Guide to Alaska Camping". Unlike the Milepost, they include ALL campgrounds not just the ones that are advertised in the book. We used both consistently and found better info in the Church's book.

Also, I second the info on the tow protector for the toad. We saw a few toads that people actually covered the front with cardboard boxes...

Frost Heaves will appear very quickly and a lot of times will not be marked with the flags....and sometimes the road crews will not remove the flags once the frost heave has been repaired; so you can't go entirely by the flags. Watch as far ahead as you can, and keep your speed down so that you can avoid hitting the heaves at speed. We typically drove around 45 most of the time.

As mentioned, you'll find road construction everywhere. Destruction Bay Highway between Whitehorse and Tok was the worse stretch of highway we've aver been on.

Top of the World Highway (and Dawson City) is a must if you have good weather and don't want to go through Destruction Bay. The 100+ mile road (from Dawson City to Chicken) is almost 100% gravel/dirt and is well traveled by large trucks that won't slow down for anything/anyone. Stay as far away from the shoulder as you can.. they are sometimes soft and the weight of the rv can make it collapse. We actually would come to a stop whenever a truck came towards us. Once in Tok you won't believe how dirty/muddy your rv will be. Took me two hours to clean it all off.

Also as mentioned, fuel will be quite a bit more expensive in Canada and Alaska and with the prices up this year, I expect it will be like it was in 08 when we went. We spent a little over $5k just for fuel on our 10,000+ mile trip.

Both Canada and Alaska is abound with some of the most beautiful scenery you'll ever see. The people are great and wildlife is plentiful. Do some salmon and halibut fishing and some tours of glaciers if you have the time.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote