Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Alaska in 2012 Or 2013

My Wife & I want to Rv to Alaska, We are thinking of caravan being it's our first time, Has anyone Caravaned to Alaska & Whom should We contact?. Any info will be appreciated.

45' Newmar Essex, Towing 24' Trailer, 2007 Mini Cooper Conv as well as Street Legal Golf Cart inside.
Anyone wanna play Golf??.
DCTENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Consider posting your question in another part of iRV2. On the iRV2 main page, scroll down to the RV CAMPING FORUM. This is about 1/3 the way down the main menu. Inside there is a forum about Crossroads - About Traveling. This forum may provide some results for your question.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
We did this trip last summer. Read a bit, buy a couple books and go for it, no need for a caravan unless you feel the need for a specific itinerary. DO NOT take your MH over the top of the world hyway, we did and it is really dusty or muddy one of the two. The road itself is not bad, ruff. Do a bit of the pull off camping by the beautiful scenes, lakes and mountains. Take you time and read all the threads on the trips others have taken and you will miss nothing.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks To Both Gary & Olylen!
45' Newmar Essex, Towing 24' Trailer, 2007 Mini Cooper Conv as well as Street Legal Golf Cart inside.
Anyone wanna play Golf??.
DCTENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I recently read a thread about the dust on some long dirt roads. It clogged the air filters and eventually caused the engine to fail. Keep an eye on that, and carry spares to swap out, then clean dirty ones when you can.
'94 Bounder 32h. Chevy V-8 44k miles and like new. Tow 4 down '85 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab
Retire in 1yr. 3mo. , but who's counting
mr300ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #6

I have friends who have used a caravan service and didn't like it all. You have to stay on their schedule, and it's expensive. The roads are good and there are plenty of services all along the way. The wilderness is gone.

We've made the trip 11 times. You didn't say where you would cross the Canadan border but work your way up towards Edmonton, and then onto the Alcan (97). And then (1) and (97) at Watson Lake to Alaska. I agree, if you like your motorhome don't go to the top of the world. It's just not worth it. Once you're in Alaska go on to Fairbanks or Anchorage, the roads are all good in Alaska. The last day in Canada you will have to slow down due to frost heaves on the road, they normally start around Lake Kluane. We normally hold our speed to 35 to 40 miles per hour that last day. Most are marked but not all. (little red flags)

Sounds like you will be over length for BC, (65') you may want to get a permit. I don't think they would bother you but you never know. Google the Canadan DOT.

The other thing: Gas and diesel cost is much higher in Canada so you may want to run across the northern US a bit.

Get a new copy of the Milepost, it's a must have. There are plenty of CGs on the Alcan and also plenty of wide spots on the road to just pull off and sleep for the night.

The other option going or coming is the Cassiar Highway. (37) But as you can see on the map, there are not a lot of towns or services in the northern section. Both the Cassiar and Alcan are now 100% paved. There will always be a short section where they are working on the road though.

Have a great trip, like I said, we've made eleven round trips and can't
wait to go again this year.

larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
We plan to leave home about May 1 and be back home first part of July. Looks like they had a pretty cold winter up there this year; should be interesting. We are really looking forward to the trip. We travel alone.
2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #8

We and two other RV's took the trip about three years ago and I'm thinking 2013 will be do able for us. Most often we simply parked along side the road for our over night stops. We used RV parks about every three or four nights to dump tanks and fill up H2O. We did the top of the world highway and will pass on that on our next trip. We started seeing black bear with in 100 miles of the US Canada border and lots of wildlife the rest of the trip. Was GREAT!! We would not consider on of the caravans that have scheduled arrangements simple because we don't want to be "scheduled".
Safe Travels
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
Thor Owners Club
RV Alaska

Headed to Alaska this summer for a two month excursion. Wife and I are going it alone, we like the freedom of seeing what we want when we want. After 22 years of Naval service, kind like being on my own schedule for a change.

First I've heard about air filter issues. Maybe I should toss one in before leaving?

Have a great trip! I'm sure either way will be great!
Matt Brown / Chief, USN(RET)
2015 Palazzo 35.1 / 2004 Jeep Wrangler X
matt.brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
We are headed that way, too. No set schedule, just some general dates and places. In the next few months, we'll be studying the Mile Post and Mike and Terri Church's books.

Hadn't planned on carrying extra filters. I may add that to the list of things to bring.
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD, Cummins ISL 400, Allison 3000, Progressive EMS, Aventa II, Air Force One, Tire Safeguard TPMS, Blue Ox Tru Center (maybe), Lotsa LEDs
mrschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #11

If the cost of a caravan is not an issue, then go for it. There are lots of outfits that do it so some research is in order. But FMCA has partnered with an outfit for FMCA members only caravans and is a place to start. We did a 48 day caravan with Fantasy in '08 and are glad we did. There were lots of things that we would have missed or opted out on because of weather. As they were paid for we did them anyway. Glad we did.

We had 22 rigs in our group, 1 class B, 1 Airstream, 1 truck camper, 1 5th wheel and the rest were all A's pretty well split between gas and DP's. While there we some problems, most were of a minor nature. Only the C had tire problems and it had the original tires on it and it was (looked like it to me) overloaded.

We met great new friends that we have kept in touch with to this day. We just met up with two of them last Friday for breakfast. Also, while the Top of the World highway is not the best of roads, I cannot see not doing it. Dawson was one of the highlights of the tour, we saw Jack London's cottage, took a guided walking tour of the town with entry to many locked historic buildings and also a guided tour of a dredge. So I say if it won't break the bank then go for it.

2006 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Bob and Inga is offline   Reply With Quote