Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
What was the insurance company?
I would like to know who the insurance company was too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am guessing there was a "Non-licensed driver" clause in his policy (If a non-licensed driver operates we won't cover it) And since he had not the proper endorsement he was considered "non-licensed"

Now, I understand he did not knwo about the requirment.. Heck, I did not know about it either (but them I'm not from CA,,, Well, I am but that is a much longer story, Have not lived in LA in nearly 60 years, only been driving about 45 so never licenese in CA).

The word of warnign here it to EVERYONE though, not just CA citizens.

You are required to check and find out if you need any special licenses.. There are many ways to do this but the best, beyond a doubt, is to download a copy of your state vehicle (not the lack of the word motor) code and read the proper passages.

Yes, I know, High govermentese can be hard to read.. but that's what you have to do.

Why did I point out the lack of the word MOTOR?

The code, also applies to Bicycles (the kind you pedal) Tricycles (likewise) and "Foot-mobiles" (That is pedisterians, no vehicle other than shoes or feet required).

For fun, look up the bicycle laws in the code, then sit out on the front porch and count violations .

Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shortened true story:
Man borrows his Girlfriend's brand new Denali Pickup, Does something stupid, runs from police, blows through barricade, out on to bridge under construction hitting worker, as he slides the truck along the rails (there being no bridge yet, just the framework).

Crain sets truck back on terra-firma so flat bed can tow to impound.

Driver arrested, prison for hurting worker, plus Driving on revoked not first offense either.

Girlfriend files with insurance company... Their response went something like this:

"You know that your boyfriend is a Named Excluded Driver, Right?"

She did, and now she knows what that means (no coverage).
Old 09-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_28602 View Post
I am a drivers license examiner in NC and will add my two cents. In this state, if your TV GVWR and TT/5er GVWR are more than 26,000 combined you are eligible for a classified (Not commercial) A license. If the GVWR of the TT/5er is 10,000 or less you can drive on your regular class c license.

Another thing I have noticed is people driving coaches. I have seen many people driving motor coaches (including my neighbor!) without the proper license. If your motor coach's GVWR is more than 26,000 you need to have a classified (not commercial) b license. You are allowed to tow a trailer or car on the classified b license as long as the GVWR of what you are towing is 10,000 or less.

Clear as mud right? Feel free to let me know if you need further clarification!
Thanks for lending your expertise Jeff.

Are you referring to California specifically or nation wide?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The licensing requirement has been in the California Vehicle Code for well over 20 years - I got my Non-Commercial Class A back in 1990 when we got our first large fifth wheel, and have kept it active even though we're now in a Class A. I wish the state were more aggressive in applying the law - it would prevent a lot of people from over-driving their abilities...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes the same goes for a lot of people with "LACK OF" knowledge of the air brake system. Just hop behind the wheel of a 30,000-40,000lb coach and give hell. Quite scary if you asked me.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
So, when you register your 5''er/trailer, they dont ask to see your endorsement? Seem if it was the law, it would also be a requirement of registration, just like proof of insurance.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
I posted this link http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf in a different posting about whether or not a trailer is an RV. In California a TT is not an RV. The handbook talks about 5er weights. A 5er lweighing 100000 - 150000 pounds can be pulled by a driver with a Class C license. Once the 5er goes over 15000 a non-commercial Class A license is required.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
correction page 16 of 44 from that link states a Recreational Trailer endorsement is required for Class C drivers pulling a 5er more than 10000 pounds but less than 15000 pounds. Though if the driver has a non-commercial Class A then he/she does not need the endorsement.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Special license not just for towables

The "special license" requirement in Cali for some RV's doesn't just apply to the BIG 5th Wheels...If you have a BIG TT or motorhome over 40" long the driver must have a non-commercial class "A" or "B"

Last time I posted this there were 2 folks that said "Thank you for posting - I didn't know." So here it is again.

See: Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

"A Noncommercial Class B license and endorsement is required if you operate:
  • A housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet. Exemptions: Holders of a commercial Class A or B license, a noncommercial Class A license, and all fire fighter license classes."
And, for the BIG Travel Trailers, the law is:

"A Noncommercial Class A license is required if you tow:
  • a travel trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) which is not used for hire.
  • a fifth–wheel travel trailer weighting over 15,000 lbs. GVWR which is not used for hire.
  • a livestock trailer that is not for hire, weight over 10,000 lbs. GVWR but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, and is operated within 150 miles of the farm by a farmer to transport livestock."
Knowledge is power!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #25
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks to those pointing out there is a weight boundry and not leaving the impression that ALL 5th wheelers require the endorsement. I have heard that CHP is looking closer at those driving the big rigs to be sure they are compliant.

As for rv's over 40 feet needing a class B non-commercial I know this from experience it is a hoot to try and get. The DMV here took two days to figure out what written tests I had to take. Then need a medical. And then a driving test that cannot be scheduled till the medical is turned in. Then it is a minimum of 45 days before the test can be given.

And still no one has been able to tell me how to legally measure my MH. The factory told me in writing the fiberglass caps don't count. A chp office is telling me differently. That is why I am getting the license. To cover my tail.

As for the insurance claim not being allowed an attorney should have an opinon on that. I would hope that avenue was persued.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #26

Here in FL up to 26,001 lbs a regular license is ok.

CLASS E: Any non-commercial motor vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 26,001 pounds, including passenger cars, 15 passenger vans including the driver, trucks or recreational vehicles and two or three wheel motor vehicles 50 cc or less, such as mopeds or small scooters.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Here in FL up to 26,001 lbs a regular license is ok.

CLASS E: Any non-commercial motor vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 26,001 pounds, including passenger cars, 15 passenger vans including the driver, trucks or recreational vehicles and two or three wheel motor vehicles 50 cc or less, such as mopeds or small scooters.
Hey MRBB,

You're close but illegal at 26,001. Your law says "less than 26,001", which would be 26,000#'s. Just a technicality, but that's what laws are now, aren't they??

Regards, Hamshog
Old 09-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamshog View Post
Hey MRBB,

You're close but illegal at 26,001. Your law says "less than 26,001", which would be 26,000#'s. Just a technicality, but that's what laws are now, aren't they??

Regards, Hamshog
You are correct so If I get stopped I'll just through out my big mac!

Tags
california