Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
You are correct so If I get stopped I'll just through out my big mac!
LOL!! There you go!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Jeeze, I'm still glad I only have to VISIT the left coast

but good point for ALL of us and all our friends to verify OUR states needs...

Thanks !

Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #31
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Jeeze, I'm still glad I only have to VISIT the left coast

but good point for ALL of us and all our friends to verify OUR states needs...

Thanks !
I am glad the some states have put extra licensing requirements on the B-I-G rigs. Just because a person can afford that GIANT RV, doesn't mean that they can drive it safely...out there where my family and I drive.

But I wish the States would get together and follow a few similar rules, at the least.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #32

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
...But I wish the States would get together and follow a few similar rules, at the least.

No kidding! At the very least.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #33

Brand new to the forum and already learned something. Thanks for posting!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I am glad the some states have put extra licensing requirements on the B-I-G rigs. Just because a person can afford that GIANT RV, doesn't mean that they can drive it safely...out there where my family and I drive.
I used to say the same thing about big boats. Any idiot with a wallet big enough can buy and operate as big a boat as they want in the US. When we purchased our 50 foot Sea Ray about ten years ago the "instruction" I got lasted all of about 2 hours. You think backing a big rig into a camping spot for the first time is tough -- try backing down a 50 foot boat with 15 knot winds blowing you into the dock!!!
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #35

Another thing that irritates me about licensing for RV's is the lack of consistency. It took me calling five or six motor vehicle locations in Texas to try and get a correct answer. I finally had to take the manual in and tell the folks at the DMV how to license me. Ugh!!

Lastly, when we bought our coach I was told by my dealer that no special license was required (imagine that), the folks that we used to rent DP's from told us the same thing and then when we went to insure it the insurance company didn't say anything. Of those three I would think that it would be required by law that the insurance company verify that you are legally licensed to operate the vehicle. You can't purchase car insurance without a driver's license shouldn't there be some onus placed on the insurer to verify they are insuring someone that is able to legally operate the vehicle?
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_28602 View Post
I am a drivers license examiner in NC and will add my two cents. In this state, if your TV GVWR and TT/5er GVWR are more than 26,000 combined you are eligible for a classified (Not commercial) A license. If the GVWR of the TT/5er is 10,000 or less you can drive on your regular class c license.

Another thing I have noticed is people driving coaches. I have seen many people driving motor coaches (including my neighbor!) without the proper license. If your motor coach's GVWR is more than 26,000 you need to have a classified (not commercial) b license. You are allowed to tow a trailer or car on the classified b license as long as the GVWR of what you are towing is 10,000 or less.

Clear as mud right? Feel free to let me know if you need further clarification!
True for NC residents, those from out of state only have to follow their states drivers licensing laws.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
True for NC residents, those from out of state only have to follow their states drivers licensing laws.
PA also.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #38

Which insurance company
Old 09-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Here's another "CA Twist" on that Non-Commercial Class A or B. The license it good for 4 years (nothing unusual there), but the medical certificate must be recertified every TWO years.

I can see the court case now.
"Did you hold a current Non-Commercial Class A licence?" The insurance company's attorney askes.
"Yes I did" The Unsuspecting RV Owner
"But when did you send in your new medical certification for that license?"
"Ummm. I was going to do it when the license was up for renewal"
"We move for a directed verdict against the defendant, as he wasn't properly licensed so we have no reason to cover the total loss of his very expensive RV"

Yeah...we in CA have issues.

Mark
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
Here's another "CA Twist" on that Non-Commercial Class A or B. The license it good for 4 years (nothing unusual there), but the medical certificate must be recertified every TWO years.

I can see the court case now.
"Did you hold a current Non-Commercial Class A licence?" The insurance company's attorney askes.
"Yes I did" The Unsuspecting RV Owner
"But when did you send in your new medical certification for that license?"
"Ummm. I was going to do it when the license was up for renewal"
"We move for a directed verdict against the defendant, as he wasn't properly licensed so we have no reason to cover the total loss of his very expensive RV"

Yeah...we in CA have issues.

Mark
When I lived in CA I had a CDL (still do) . DMV would send a notice that my medical will expire in so many days, if we do not receive a current one your license will be suspended.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecapt View Post
A word of warning to all RV'ers from California:

About 6 months ago a friend of mine who, like me, has a 5er, was involved in an accident. The other driver was uninsured but my friend wasn’t concerned because he had uninsured motorist insurance as part of his policy.
His insurance company denied his claim because he was "not licensed to tow" his 5er. Indeed, he hadn’t gotten the proper endorsement on his California DL for towing a 5th wheel (see here:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt5.htm)

He was unaware of the law requiring this endorsement and had been towing his 5er all over the U.S. for years without it. I didn’t even think to ask him if he had this endorsement on his license... I had one on mine since I got my 5er.
As a result, he lost his 5er (it was totaled, and he wasn't reimbursed) and had to pay for all of the repairs to his TV (Ford F-350).
I checked this with DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) and found the following:
In order to tow a trailer or fifth wheel up to 15,000 GVWR you need an endorsement on your license.
If you are towing a trailer or fifth wheel with a GVWR greater than 15,000 you need to get a non-commercial class A license.
If you are properly licensed in California to tow a 5th wheel, all other state have what is called "reciprocal agreements" regarding licensing and will honor California’s coverage.
So it seems that if you don’t have the proper license in California to tow your 5er, you are SOL if you get in an accident, whether it was your fault or not. Makes sense to get the endorsement or proper license.
Here’s a link to the handbook for the license test:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf

Hope this helps those of you that didn’t have this info.

Oh Man, I am so sorry to hear this!!!

What a crock of B.S! This is one of the reasons why I despise insurance companies, banks and other financial institutions (with the exception of credit unions) they are such slime balls!

I hope your friend Doesn't let then get away with it! I do hope he would consult with an Attorney and see what his options are!!
I wish him Good luck!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
ok, I stand corrected and contacting the Tex DOT:
Texas drivers license requirements

Tags
california