Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #43

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You have to remember that these requirements are for the vehicles stickered GVWR and not for what you weigh in at. Like my pickup is 11,400# and the 5er is 16,400#, so eventhough the gcw is between 23,500 ande 24,500#, I have to be licenced for over 26,001# because my vehicles total GVWR is 27,800# the way they figure it. Also any commercial vehicle over 10,000# you have to have a medical card, and the expiration date is clearly posted on it. This one is federal dot requirements.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #44

Reminder: New York State requires an "R" endorsement for any RV over 26000 Lbs. GVW.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #45
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
Here's another "CA Twist" on that Non-Commercial Class A or B. The license it good for 4 years (nothing unusual there), but the medical certificate must be recertified every TWO years.

I can see the court case now.
"Did you hold a current Non-Commercial Class A licence?" The insurance company's attorney askes.
"Yes I did" The Unsuspecting RV Owner
"But when did you send in your new medical certification for that license?"
"Ummm. I was going to do it when the license was up for renewal"
"We move for a directed verdict against the defendant, as he wasn't properly licensed so we have no reason to cover the total loss of his very expensive RV"

Yeah...we in CA have issues.

Mark
Mark,
Are you saying a medical certificate (NOT required for a non-commercial Class "A" - AKA: the really B-I-G towables -but IS required for the "B" Housecar over 40') is only good for 2 years?

Or, could this be a misunderstanding of the rules stated at the link below which says: "Submit a Physician’s Health Report (DL 546A) dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application."

Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

There's nothing on the form that shows a expiration period:
http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/dl/dl546a.pdf
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #46
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
REALLY B-I-G MoHo needs Class "B" Plus

While researching the medical spin on the California, non-commercial Class "A" and "B," I found that our esteemed reps in Sacramento are looking at adding a new layer to the non-commercial Class "B"(Housecar over 40' but not over 45')

Seems that REALLY B-I-G MoHo driver (45') needs Class "B" - Plus...

So, what if you have just bought your new "LuxoMegaBargeCruiser 45XX?" The DMV will be looking for you to go to the Doctor, FOR SOME OTHER FORM.
See: Physician's Health Report (DL 546A)

Which says:
"A new medical form has been developed for drivers requesting a 45-foot housecar endorsement and individuals applying for a driving instructor license. The Physicians Health Report, DL 546A will now be required for these individuals."

Like I said before - too much regulation is not good, but I wish the DMV's would follow a few basic rules - at the very least
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Are you saying a medical certificate (required for a non-commercial Class "B" only - AKA: the really B-I-G towables -not- the "A" Housecar over 40') is only good for 2 years?

Or, could this be a misunderstanding of the rules stated at the link below which says: "Submit a Physician’s Health Report (DL 546A) dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application."
Actually, the Non-Commercial Class A (and I expect the Non-Commercial Class B) do not require the DL546A Physician's Health Report - they only require the DL546 Health Questionnaire. It does not need a doctor's signature since it's a simple self-administered questionnaire, and it is indeed valid for 2 years. The DMV will send a reminder a few months ahead of it's expiration so as long as you are receiving your snail mail you will be reminded that it is due. I've had my NC Class A since 1990 and the DMV had never failed to remind me in plenty of time to send in the DL546 form.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #48

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Scarab0088,
The expiration date is on the wallet card that must be carried with you. I think it is also on the new forms, it is the standard dot physical card, I believe.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #49
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Actually, the Non-Commercial Class A (and I expect the Non-Commercial Class B) do not require the DL546A Physician's Health Report - they only require the DL546 Health Questionnaire. It does not need a doctor's signature since it's a simple self-administered questionnaire, and it is indeed valid for 2 years. The DMV will send a reminder a few months ahead of it's expiration so as long as you are receiving your snail mail you will be reminded that it is due. I've had my NC Class A since 1990 and the DMV had never failed to remind me in plenty of time to send in the DL546 form.
Alan,
That is very odd because the DMV website states the questionnaire is for the non-commercial Class B permit - but - like Mark said, the Medical Certificate is required for the non-commercial Class B license.
See: Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

For me this is academic, Lucky my coach in "only" 37.3'
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
I've had to submit DL546A, which must be signed by your physician, since I got my Non-Commercial Class A. This is from CADMV site.

"All original applicants must submit, at the time of the application and every two years thereafter, a Physicians Health Report for DL 546A completed and signed by a licensed physician. An applicant who has a Health Questionnaire DL 546 on file must also submit a Physician’s Health Report, DL 546A. Exception: An applicant who is required to have and maintains a current Medical Examination Report for DL 51, will be excluded from this requirement. The following license classes are exempt from obtaining the 45-foot housecar endorsement:
  • Commercial Classes A and B
  • Noncommercial A
  • All firefighter licenses"
Regards, Hamshog
Old 09-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting discussion - I've checked the DMV website again, and it looks like the Non Commercial Class A wants the DL546 (questionnaire) while the Non Commercial Class B wants the DL546A (doctor's report):

Non-Commercial Class A Requirements:

Noncommercial Class A License Requirements

Non-Commercial Class B Requirements:

Noncommercial Class B (45' housecar) Requirements

According to the Class B requirements, above, it looks like if you have the NC Class A you are exempt from needing the NC Class B. I never actually used my NC Class A since the largest fifth wheel we owned was 14,200 lbs GVWR so I could have gotten away with the endorsement on my Class C, but I figured I'd get it anyway. Now we have a 37 foot Class A motorhome so I don't need any endorsements but I maintain the NC Class A anyway...the DMV asks for a DL546 every two years and I'm happy to oblige!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Florida Driver License Requirements;
CLASS E: Any non-commercial motor vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 26,001 pounds, including passenger cars, 15 passenger vans including the driver, trucks or recreational vehicles and two or three wheel motor vehicles 50 cc or less, such as mopeds or small scooters. (see below). Farmers and drivers of authorized emergency vehicles who are exempt from obtaining a commercial driver license must obtain a Class E license.
CDL Exemptions;
The following persons are exempt from the requirements to obtain a commercial driver license: Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes.

On our license there is an endorsement that reads "ANY RV".
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would file a complaint with the State Insurance Commissioner. Had a friend this happened to in San Diego, and the State Insurance Commissioner found in his favor, and his Insurer had to pay the claim. The Insurance Commissioner says your insurance is for a vehicle, not the driver.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #54

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
I would file a complaint with the State Insurance Commissioner. Had a friend this happened to in San Diego, and the State Insurance Commissioner found in his favor, and his Insurer had to pay the claim. The Insurance Commissioner says your insurance is for a vehicle, not the driver.
But if the policy had an exclusion for a non-licensed driver would the above hold true? If driver isn't properly licensed to drive it that would let the ins co off the hook.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #55

Insurance companies investigate all large claims with the goal of getting out of it. A friend of mine was miffed when he told the FAA he had been through an alcohol treatment program, had some hoops to jump through to get his certifications back.

A month later he wrecked a $500,000 rented airplane. The insurance company investigated him, and had he not divulged that information, even though he would have been sober, they would not have paid a penny.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:34 AM   #56

who would want to live in calf. anyway .as i understand it you can't breathe
without a permit and you can't breathe with a permit.never been there don't feel like i missed anything but smog and the chance to purchase a permit for anything you do or don't do.

Tags
california