Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #57
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Interesting discussion - I've checked the DMV website again, and it looks like the Non Commercial Class A wants the DL546 (questionnaire) while the Non Commercial Class B wants the DL546A (doctor's report):

Non-Commercial Class A Requirements:

Noncommercial Class A License Requirements

Non-Commercial Class B Requirements:

Noncommercial Class B (45' housecar) Requirements

According to the Class B requirements, above, it looks like if you have the NC Class A you are exempt from needing the NC Class B. I never actually used my NC Class A since the largest fifth wheel we owned was 14,200 lbs GVWR so I could have gotten away with the endorsement on my Class C, but I figured I'd get it anyway. Now we have a 37 foot Class A motorhome so I don't need any endorsements but I maintain the NC Class A anyway...the DMV asks for a DL546 every two years and I'm happy to oblige!
Ok Alan,

I'm guessing you just didn't see my post above, so here it is again. (edit) Sorry Alan, I just noticed your from NC and don't have a CA drivers licence.

Any one in California with a Non-Commercial A or B license is required to have the DL 546A on file every two years per below. As many of us that have gone thru CA's licensing procedures, it's not the most popular certification to get because of the confusion and knowledge at the different offices. I've read that several have been issued Restriciton "T" for towing doubles on a Non-Commercial A license. Be prepared, don't get caught without the proper certs.

Physician s Health Report DL 546A

DL546A is required for Non-Commercial Class A license.

Regards, Howard

'10 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5, '05 H/D Road King Classic, '05 Jeep Wrangler LJ, '02 Dolphin 5355 W/H 8.1L/Alli, Fulltime since 5/2010
Hamshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #58
Here is a web site that shows each state's requirements. I did notice that some of the info was dated 2005 so be careful, but there is a link to the state web site.

RV Driver's License Requirements

Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #59
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Insurance companies pay claims all the time when their insured is at fault.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #60
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would still like to know who that insurance company is.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #61
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Hamshog View Post
Ok Alan,

I'm guessing you just didn't see my post above, so here it is again. (edit) Sorry Alan, I just noticed your from NC and don't have a CA drivers licence.
Sorry for the confusion - the "NC" in my response stands for "Non Commercial" - I have held a California Non Commercial Class A license since 1990 and I turn in a DL546 every two years, when the DMV sends me a notice that the current one is about to expire. Until such time that the DMV tells me the DL546 is no longer acceptable I will continue to submit it every two years.

Check the link I provided - it specifically states that the Non Commercial Class A requires the DL546, while the Non Commercial Class B requires the DL546A. It also states that if you hold a valid Non Commercial Class A you do not need a Non Commercial Class B...
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2008 smart fortwo Passion
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #62
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
who would want to live in calf. anyway .as i understand it you can't breathe
without a permit and you can't breathe with a permit.never been there don't feel like i missed anything but smog and the chance to purchase a permit for anything you do or don't do.
I wish more people felt like swampdog!! Unfortunatly our state has a consistent growth of population - darn it!

It must be something about California's good weather, jobs and industry, good weather, beachs, good weather, mountains, good weather, argiculture, plus there's lots of fun things to do and the the great weather rarely messes up your plans.

Finally, if there is anyone reading this and thinking about moving to Cali, remember that you need a permit to do anything and there's those SCARY earthquakes to worry about I wonder if Mother Nature has the right permit for those
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #63
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
But if the policy had an exclusion for a non-licensed driver would the above hold true? If driver isn't properly licensed to drive it that would let the ins co off the hook.
I called him and asked. He said by virtue of having a Class C License, in the State's eyes, and per State Law you are a Licensed Driver. His Insurance Policy specifically excluded unlicensed drivers. He said the Insurance Commission ruled in his favor because he did have a Driver's License, a Class C, he was however driving out of classification, which in California is a fix it ticket. He said had his license been expired, or if he did not have one, in California's eyes you would be unlicensed, and he would have lost. He said the State will side with your friend if his Class C License is valid.

2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
2007 Chev Classic CC LB D/A - Toad
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited - Backup Toad
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote