Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-27-2015, 09:33 PM   #15
Excellent advice!!! Since 2005 my DW has survived three separate bouts with cancer, which gave us both an understanding of just how fragile life can be. I retired in early 2013, and in Sept 2014 we bought our first RV with plans to travel often. We have been on several weekend outings and one longer trip of about 2100 miles over a 10 day period.

Then, this year, I developed a nerve problem which has made it nearly impossible for me to drive, and DW is not comfortable driving the RV. I am now in treatments which have a good chance of eventually allowing me to safely drive again. When (not if) my ability to drive returns, I plan to travel as much as we possibly can in whatever functional time I have left. I've seen a lot of the U.S. in my life, but there are still a lot of places I either haven't been or would like to be again.

Stay safe, and enjoy life while you are still able.

God bless.

Ken and Deanie (with Ralph the cat)

2002 Winnebago Minnie, 331C, Ford E450 chassis
retired cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #16
The Doctor said, 'If you wake up from the Cancer surgery,you win'. I promised myself 'if I woke up, I'll buy an RV and a Lotus'. Wana see my Lotus? Plan for tommorow and live for today.

HR Endeavor DST Bath and 1/2
330 HP Allison 6-Speed - 7.5 mpg US
Me and the DW
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #17
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
I would just say use some common sense if any is available. No one said anything about going out and just buying everything ever wanted and being irresponsible. No different than budgeting / planning and saving for anything else in life. The point of the post was about adjusting one's priorities in life in light of "Life being a gift". The post was not suggesting that one throw common sense into the wind.

I hope to never stop dreaming. But it does not mean my wallet/choices will always actively pursue some of those dreams. Just common sense.
And you made it happen.
olustee bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #18
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
5 years back some buddies and I went tent camping with our RZRs. While riding the trails we ended up running into a couple on the trail and then met them again back at the campsite. My group offered cold ones and we chatted a bit about the world.

After a bit they were ready to head to their campsite. That is when we found out that the newer motorhome near by was theirs. As usual when an RV owner was present I started telling them that my dream was to own an RV "some day". I went on to say I hope I stay healthy and working so that "some day" I would be so lucky.

That is when the conversation took a turn that changed my life. The lady pivoted 180 in her step towards me with a serious look in her eye. I was not sure what to expect. She sat down again looked me dead in my eyes and the following was said,
"I am a hospice nurse. I see people of all ages everyday just like you in my work. People with dreams and plans that they hope/hoped to "some day" make come true. You have to live now. If you want an RV or anything else in life go for it sooner rather than later as life often has other plans. Life is a gift."

She followed up with a couple of specific patient stories of young and middle aged people whose stories had really touched her and changed the way she lives her life.

Weeks/ months later I could not shake this conversation from my mind. "Life is a gift". I kept hearing her words over and over. Then over the next year 2 acquaintances of mine died unexpectedly at very young ages.

After that I started to look at making my "some day" dream of owning an RV a reality. And then it happened. No regrets.

I wish I had gotten that nurses contact information so I could let her know how she impacted my life.

Happy RV'ing. Enjoy. Life is a gift.
Amen to that...I took the plunge 6 months ago and when I read this it confirms our decision...thanks for sharing!
swagn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #19
Newmar Owners Club
I am not one who normally submits under topics like this, but somehow feel compelled to do so after a few "life curve balls" thrown hurled my way a few years ago. In 2013, I lost two of my best friends within 1 month of each other. For years we had talked about getting a motor home so that we might drive to Canada in hopes of hunting ducks and geese in each state along the Mississippi flyway. We dreamed about the day when "society" deemed it acceptable to retire and then race through your bucket list.

Here's a thoughtful quote that is inscribed on the headstone of the late actor John Wayne.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life.
Comes into us at midnight very clean.
It's perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands.
It hopes we learned something from yesterday"

Please know John that I have learned and I'm not waiting!
2012 Newmar Ventana
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:00 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Life is a balance......you need to live your life, yet plan for the future.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I grew up around two uncles that I was very close to. They each built successful businesses, working 7 days a week, rarely taking time to enjoy life. I worked for one of them in the summers, doing odd jobs. They were two years apart in age and they both sold their businesses for a lot of money. They each bought DP's and started traveling extensively together. They both passed away in less than 2 years. This has shaped the course of my life a lot. Don't sell the farm, but don't wait to do the things you want to do. Some things you may not be physically able to do later.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #22
I watched too many friends and co-workers pass before retirement or shortly after, one even died in a car wreck on the way to work his last day. Others had medical problems late in life that kept them from enjoying retirement. My best friend passed 18 months prior to his planned retirement. A few days before he passed, he told me this, "tell everyone you can, that you will never have enough money to retire. No matter how long you wait, you will still have to alter your lifestyle. Retire while you still have the ability to enjoy life and do the things you've always dreamed of." Everyone has different financial situations, but the bottom line is to get out and enjoy life as much and as soon as you can.
To the OP of this thread, the only question you need to answer to yourself is.....

Did I work all these years to leave money for people to fight over, or do I want to enjoy life on my terms?

The reality is that we are a small percentage of the population. Not too many people have the financial ability to enjoy the fruits of their labor. We intend on enjoying life to the max. If my DW survives me, she will be financially secure. If I survive her, I hope the check to pay for my funeral bounces!!!
2014 Bounder 35K
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Medic57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #23

Great story. I'm sure she knows.

Thanks for sharing that story with us.

Happy Trails!!
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #24
What a great message this thread contains, many thanks to the OP for sharing his story!

I would like to add that there are always alternatives that can allow dreams to be realized early on.

Perhaps a budget will not allow for the Lotus, but there are other similar vehicles that will do the same thing. We have had a Triumph Spit 6 for 20+ years and still love it.

One may not be able to afford a MH but there are TCs, pop ups, tents, and ?? We started with tents and PU canopies, made our first 3 week trip from WV to the West coast in '73 with an Opel wagon towing a 50s tent trailer. Later that year we moved to the West coast with our belongings in an old school bus and the Opel in tow with our canoe on top of it. We bought our first TC in the late 70s and began our annual trips from OR to visit family in WV and back. Before starting one of these trips we would plan to visit whatever we wanted to along the way within the 4 week time constraints of the trip. Later, in '93, we were in better shape financially and considered all types of RVs to upgrade from our aging TC. We decided on another newer TC and continued our annual trips which we had even more time for after I retired in '94. My wife was a teacher and didn't retire until a few years later, but she had all Summer off. This year after returning from a nearly 8k mile trip we bought our first MH and will try it out this coming Summer on another 8k miler.

My dream of flying was realized by joining with 4 like minded friends and buying a C-150 in the late 70s. I could never have afforded it by myself.

We boated on the Pacific and among the San Juan Islands with a small 24' cabin boat through the 80s. A 40' trawler would have been nice, but we enjoyed what we had.

There are always alternatives.

Just my 2c.

dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #25
Great Story and so true. My Dad died of a sudden heart attack at 54 years old. He never missed a day of work due to illness, and looked like he was in his 30's when he died. He never got to enjoy one day of the retirement he worked so hard for. I was told it was hereditary( I was only 25 at the time) and things I had to do to maintain my health. So even with that info I didn't always buy everything I wanted, but did live life a little differently, planned for the future and retired as soon as I could. I have a great retirement, and find that if you plan well, your money will last longer than you do even if you splurge on yourself (and Wife/Kids/Grandkids ect). So far I am 5 years beyond "when I was expected to die" and in fairly good health. Still didn't go crazy spending money, but much like the OP we bought what we wanted so we can enjoy it now.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #26

My dad too had a heart attack and died at age 52.
My older cousin died of a heart attack at age 54.
I broke the chain a little, my heart attack at age 51 didn't kill me. But I do sort of figure I'm on 'overtime', so I'm enjoying it while I can.
My doctor said that looking at my previous heath issues (none) height, weight, non-smoker etc etc, he would not have said that I was at risk of a heart attack - but family history/heredity seems to have a good bit to say about these things.
Podivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:50 PM   #27
I spent 30 years in the Navy and saw many friends pass before they could begin their dreams. I was driving tractor trailer starting in March 2001. My brother in law and sister moved back to Pa to help take care of our parents. In May of 2002 my brother in law passed from cancer. In September 2002 we lost our Dad. On 20 January 2004 we lost my mother and on 27 January 2004 we lost my mother in law. On June 30 2006 we lost my father in law. We have since traded up to a diesel and have never looked back. We just lost our oldest son last December 21st. He was only 51. When will our time come only God knows. We will have lived to enjoy the things we wanted to do now. As my Dad always said. never put off for tomorrow that you can enjoy today.
2008 Thor, Four Winds Mandalay 40G. Cummins 400 isl. Freightliner chassis
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #28
I had a talk with Jim Elliott on the phone just a few months before he passed. He was telling of all of the projects he still wanted to do but his outlook was pretty bleak. Jim was a great mechanic here on IRV2. He taught me a lot in the short time that I got to know him. It's one of those things that I have learned that with all of the plans that are made life gets in the way,

1990 28' Georgie Boy, 454, 4bbl, Thorley Headers, Recurved Distributor, 8.75 mpg. RVM 76
BA-in-Mich is offline   Reply With Quote