Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2015, 07:11 AM   #1

All because of a hospice nurse

5 years back some buddies and I went tent camping with our RZRs. While riding the trails we ended up running into a couple on the trail and then met them again back at the campsite. My group offered cold ones and we chatted a bit about the world.

After a bit they were ready to head to their campsite. That is when we found out that the newer motorhome near by was theirs. As usual when an RV owner was present I started telling them that my dream was to own an RV "some day". I went on to say I hope I stay healthy and working so that "some day" I would be so lucky.

That is when the conversation took a turn that changed my life. The lady pivoted 180 in her step towards me with a serious look in her eye. I was not sure what to expect. She sat down again looked me dead in my eyes and the following was said,
"I am a hospice nurse. I see people of all ages everyday just like you in my work. People with dreams and plans that they hope/hoped to "some day" make come true. You have to live now. If you want an RV or anything else in life go for it sooner rather than later as life often has other plans. Life is a gift."

She followed up with a couple of specific patient stories of young and middle aged people whose stories had really touched her and changed the way she lives her life.

Weeks/ months later I could not shake this conversation from my mind. "Life is a gift". I kept hearing her words over and over. Then over the next year 2 acquaintances of mine died unexpectedly at very young ages.

After that I started to look at making my "some day" dream of owning an RV a reality. And then it happened. No regrets.

I wish I had gotten that nurses contact information so I could let her know how she impacted my life.

Happy RV'ing. Enjoy. Life is a gift.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #2

She knows.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:32 AM   #3
Community Administrator

They know more than most how short our stay here is. Great story. Thanks for sharing it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice story. Sometimes life just doesn't seem fair. If you have dreams, do your best to live them and be happy, don't dwell on unimportant things. life is short. Enjoy your set up and many memories. Safe travels.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
rainman,

Lovely story. I think this nurse does all she can everyday to touch a life and she will know someday. The factor that YOU chose to listen to her advice and put it into motion is what would be important to her. You can give advice all the time and if it is ignored, it makes no difference. We each have to choose what is important to us.

I have been at bedside numerous times when a family said "But, I thought we had more time, we were going to do this and do that and now he/she is gone and what am I going to do without him/her?"

Too late is exactly that. Having heard this over and over is why my husband and I often have taken trips (because later is not promised) I didn't want to be the wife who said "But, we were going to etc, etc." You still have to take into consideration the financial aspect of your dream, but I am glad for you that you have achieved yours.

Believe me, she will be smiling one day over this watching you having fun in your RV. Enjoy it and all your adventures because "Life is a Gift". Lynne Cardiology Tech
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Good for her !
and good for you, now YOU have a story to tell...

One day I realized I had fewer days in front of me than behind me, and that changed the perspective a lot....

I told the kids... please, PLEASE, never get to the point of saying "I wish I had...."
Old 12-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #7

I had a close friend that I rented space behind my shop was always telling me I needed to go get away more and enjoy life I had a gas motorhome that we take off sometimes on a Friday and go to a car show he had a place in east Texas he would leave on Friday and come back on Monday. He told me one Friday ill see you Monday Saturday his brother in law call to tell me he was dead. Within the next month I went to three day work week when I was in town bought a two year old dp put 50000miles on it in four years anytime I heard about somewhere I thought I might like we went I was 55 when I turn 65 the day after Christmas we left to go to garret Jackson auction in AZ. I had always wanted to go to quartzite so we went there to go t back home in Feb. The 25 of Feb I had a massive stroke I was laying in the er and thought if I have to go at least I got to see and do a lot of things I have no regrets.
But wasn't my time and I have made a great recovery and back on the road again.
You are not promise tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #8

Life is a gift.
Yes, it is.
I am able to be on the road now, only because of the passing of my DW, I was her carefiver for many years. She died before her time, to young. You get the idea.
Yes, don't wait. Go for it, NOW.
We are on a one way road, there is a dead end out there somewhere.
20 years from now you will probably be more disappointed in the things that you did NOT do, than the things that you DID do.
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #9

My wife was a hospice nurse for 10 years. It was one of the main motivators in getting full time and seeing the things we want. Heard too many stories of "I wanted to, or I should have".
Old 12-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #10

As others have said that was a great story. I had a similar awakening this past summer when my best friend, three years older than me, died of a heart attack. Since then I have tried to find joy in each day given to me.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
So how do you balance the "do it now" with the "planning for the future"? I have made some dreams come true, but usually not long after I achieve one dream another steps in to take its place. I think as long as I am alive I will have dreams of things I want to do or have. It would not be fiscally responsible to have everything I want- so how do you know where to set the balance point?

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunGus View Post
So how do you balance the "do it now" with the "planning for the future"? I have made some dreams come true, but usually not long after I achieve one dream another steps in to take its place. I think as long as I am alive I will have dreams of things I want to do or have. It would not be fiscally responsible to have everything I want- so how do you know where to set the balance point?

I would just say use some common sense if any is available. No one said anything about going out and just buying everything ever wanted and being irresponsible. No different than budgeting / planning and saving for anything else in life. The point of the post was about adjusting one's priorities in life in light of "Life being a gift". The post was not suggesting that one throw common sense into the wind.

I hope to never stop dreaming. But it does not mean my wallet/choices will always actively pursue some of those dreams. Just common sense.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, she nailed it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Good wisdom on these pages, a lot can be learned.
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote