Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #1

I have spent the past month in the Eugene, Oregon area.
I am sure that almost all of you reading this forum know that Eugene being the major city to Coburg and Junction City is the Heart of Luxury Coach manufacturing on the west coast.
With that said, what is the outlook for the Luxury Class A industry?
The answer is BLEAK.
It is never going to return to anywhere near what the industry has been. It will be known as a "HAS BEEN" for years to come.
Industry knowledgables feel it will return. When it does manufacturing numbers will only be 10% of what they where at the peak.
It is time for many to face up to the fact that thier Big Name coach may just become an ORPHAN.
The reality check for all name manufactures will come in January of 2009 if not before.
Money is short or there is none at all. Consumer confidence is nill. Dealers want to just get out of inventory contracts with just enough commision to pay saleries and keep the lights on.

On the other side of the coin previously owned coaches of stature will eventualy gain value.

Once again inovation leader Bob Lee has the leading idea with his "OREGON MOTORCOACH CENTER" located in Eugene, OR. Here a 70's, 80's or 90's and later coach of any brand can be repaired, inspected and or re-invented. Specializing in Prevost conversions and Luxury coaches from all the lineage. This is the place that the remaining service center locations through out the country will want to copy.

The major manufactures are becomming increasingly hard or impossible to reach concerning warranty problems.
It is going to be left up to the owner to have his or her coach repaired at a "out of pocket cost".
This is present fact and it will not get better in the forseeable future.

Monaco is operating with minimal employees.

Country Coach has layed off thier last 500 employees just last week. CC is operating with a skeleton crew of 87.

You will be hard pressed to find any kind of Luxury Class A manufacturing in the US.

With just enough said to get the ball rolling. I bet all of you have quite afew opinions and information snipits to exspress or questions to ask of your fellow RVers.

I want to say that information mentioned in this post is from my personal observation and not the opinion of any indevidual. I am not associated with any dealer or brand name. Outside of owning and traveling exstensively I have nothing to do with the RV Industry.

Jim in Eugene

MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #2

I have spent the past month in the Eugene, Oregon area.
I am sure that almost all of you reading this forum know that Eugene being the major city to Coburg and Junction City is the Heart of Luxury Coach manufacturing on the west coast.
With that said, what is the outlook for the Luxury Class A industry?
The answer is BLEAK.
It is never going to return to anywhere near what the industry has been. It will be known as a "HAS BEEN" for years to come.
Industry knowledgables feel it will return. When it does manufacturing numbers will only be 10% of what they where at the peak.
It is time for many to face up to the fact that thier Big Name coach may just become an ORPHAN.
The reality check for all name manufactures will come in January of 2009 if not before.
Money is short or there is none at all. Consumer confidence is nill. Dealers want to just get out of inventory contracts with just enough commision to pay saleries and keep the lights on.

On the other side of the coin previously owned coaches of stature will eventualy gain value.

Once again inovation leader Bob Lee has the leading idea with his "OREGON MOTORCOACH CENTER" located in Eugene, OR. Here a 70's, 80's or 90's and later coach of any brand can be repaired, inspected and or re-invented. Specializing in Prevost conversions and Luxury coaches from all the lineage. This is the place that the remaining service center locations through out the country will want to copy.

The major manufactures are becomming increasingly hard or impossible to reach concerning warranty problems.
It is going to be left up to the owner to have his or her coach repaired at a "out of pocket cost".
This is present fact and it will not get better in the forseeable future.

Monaco is operating with minimal employees.

Country Coach has layed off thier last 500 employees just last week. CC is operating with a skeleton crew of 87.

You will be hard pressed to find any kind of Luxury Class A manufacturing in the US.

With just enough said to get the ball rolling. I bet all of you have quite afew opinions and information snipits to exspress or questions to ask of your fellow RVers.

I want to say that information mentioned in this post is from my personal observation and not the opinion of any indevidual. I am not associated with any dealer or brand name. Outside of owning and traveling exstensively I have nothing to do with the RV Industry.

Jim in Eugene

Old 12-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
In the beginning, there were few motorhomes, but many truck campers and some smaller, simpler trailers. We may likely be heading back that way again.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Our coach is at this moment at Oregon Motorcoach Center. This facility is all that, I am told, the Country Coach Factory service used to be. It seems that the emphasis of all of the major manufacturers was on quantity and somehow quality did suffer. I have very few complaints about our coach, we have worked out the bugs with the assistance of the very capable staff at Oregon Motorcoach Center. Its latest trip to that facility is to replace electronic components that, for want of a better word, were ripped from the coach when burglars gained access to our vacation property and locked barn on the Oregon Coast.

When, or should I say if, the RV industry does make a recovery, I really believe that each manufacturer should look more intensely at the quality of the product they put on the market. At the same time, the should very carefully screen the technicians who are doing warranty and other repair work on the units. We had our coach at the factory in January of 2008 and had to look to others to repair those items the factory tech said he repaired. That does not leave a very good impression with the customer.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sharbra:
Our coach is at this moment at Oregon Motorcoach </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well hello neighbor,

Ed and his crew just moved us out of thier well equiped and spacious garage to the adjoining parking lot.
Here we can re-load the coach for a bonzi trip to WALT DISNEY WORLD.
OMCC has in record time re-sealed each of four slides and completely rebuilt the drivers side slide to better than factory conditions. All this had to be done on a 2006, 45ft MAGNA.
We stopped in to have a Spun Bamboo floor installed after the factory replaced our drivers side front window. This was done because of extreme fogging within the double pane SI-GI window. Heck it only took a year to get it done.
Anyway everytime we crossed country to have the coach worked on at the factory or anywhere else for that matter. We would request to have all the seals and weather stripping checked.
When the carpet was pulled from the floor to install the bamboo flooring, mold was prevelent. Black mold.
Further investigation led to finding the failure of all four slide top and corner seals.

In the future I will go into detail on a special site set up to inform owners of this possible plight.
We never knew there where leaks. No water, no stains, no smell.

Because of an upgrade we found out before it was to late.

Country Coach refused to consider any form of help in a matter that was a manufacturing condition from the start.
There also is the electralisis condition that exists on the outside of each slide causing the paint to bubble on the metal exterior painted edges.
This condition has been know about by the factory for many years yet CC once again refused to help in any way with the repaires. It is mostly a matter of trying to do to much to quick to many times in not enough time at manufacture.

Fortunate for us we had already planned on Oregon Motorcoach Center to do any upgrades and now repairs as needed.
In the future I will post as to the complete where, what and whens of what happend to our coach. The extreme exspense and possible illnesses that COUNTRY COACH allowed us to be subjected too.
This can happen to other manufactures in the area also. Basicly they all used the same money saving techniques. Before you purchase a new or used 06 thru 09 Luxury coach or own one at this time. Make sure you examine all the tops of the slides for possibe catastrophic bonding failure of the items used to protect your interior from water and the weather.

Not only is the coach subject to exspensive repair but your health can suffer also.

First sign may be with you, not the coach.

Does anyone compain of headaches when they spend time or sleep in the coach?

Sinus problems accure frequently?

If you can even get through to customer service or a tech don't let them tell you different. Silently, It does and will happen.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sharbra:
Our coach is at this moment at Oregon Motorcoach Center. This facility is all that, I am told, the Country Coach Factory service used to be. It seems that the emphasis of all of the major manufacturers was on quantity and somehow quality did suffer. I have very few complaints about our coach, we have worked out the bugs with the assistance of the very capable staff at Oregon Motorcoach Center. Its latest trip to that facility is to replace electronic components that, for want of a better word, were ripped from the coach when burglars gained access to our vacation property and locked barn on the Oregon Coast.

When, or should I say if, the RV industry does make a recovery, I really believe that each manufacturer should look more intensely at the quality of the product they put on the market. At the same time, the should very carefully screen the technicians who are doing warranty and other repair work on the units. We had our coach at the factory in January of 2008 and had to look to others to repair those items the factory tech said he repaired. That does not leave a very good impression with the customer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>sharbra...I am soo sorry to hear of the "break-in". Sacs and I have experienced that not once but twice!! It is such an awful feeling. I am thinking of you and hope all turns out well for you!

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In the future I will go into detail on a special site set up to inform owners of this possible plight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> In the future I will post as to the complete where, what and whens of what happend to our coach. The extreme exspense and possible illnesses that COUNTRY COACH allowed us to be subjected too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Any idea When and where you might post this vital information??
We all need to know as the same problems may be happening to any # of coach owners of all brands.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #8

The part that I am having a hard time to understand is that we are looking to upgrade to DP and excellent credit and dealers say 7.5 to 8%. If banks can get low interest money from feds whats up. just venting. jim w.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SacsTC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In the future I will go into detail on a special site set up to inform owners of this possible plight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> In the future I will post as to the complete where, what and whens of what happend to our coach. The extreme exspense and possible illnesses that COUNTRY COACH allowed us to be subjected too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Any idea When and where you might post this vital information??
We all need to know as the same problems may be happening to any # of coach owners of all brands. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will post at a later date in depth as to my personal exsierience.
Since I do have a active life and post with an iphone my continuing story will happen at a later date. A date and time that is comfortable for me.
I did exlain what to look for and keep inspected if you use your coach and don't just let it sit in a closed garage. Read slowly, all the information is there.

Mold is lingering in walls and cielings of many coaches. High humidity levels and abrupt climate changes all play a role in the possible out come.
Manufactures repair and replace more panels and slides than you can emagine.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #10

Sounds like Oregon motor coach center studied The Bluebird manual for renovating older units. Bluebird has been doing this for at least 25 years. This is sound business practice, build a quality product in the beginning, then remodel to owner specs later.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote