Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Almost lost my satellite dome cover!

We were traveling last week, driving 60 MPH on the interstate, when I noticed a car driving right beside me. A lady had her arm out the window pointing at the top of our MH! I sensed right away that was not a good thing!

I pulled over as soon as possible and climbed onto the roof. The plastic dome over the satellite dish was barely hanging on by the two screws in front! All the other six screws had broken out chunks of the plastic! That thing must have been doing some serious flopping around up there for the people behind to see it and warn me! That could have been a disaster if that thing had broken off completely and hit a vehicle behind me!

Thank goodness it was not raining, so I removed the dome, put it in the back of the CRV, and continued to our destination!

I went to Lowes, bought a strip of aluminum 1/8" thick x 3/4" wide, cut eight pieces 3" long, drilled holes for the screws, and used those to secure the dome in place!

I was amazed at how thin and flimsy that cover was!

Now I've got to try to find a replacement dome for a KVH R5 satellite!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Glad you caught it in time to save a possible much worse situation. Maybe it's time to invest in a new Trav'ler...

Ron

lanerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm still looking for a plastic dome. I placed an ad in the Classifieds. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 04-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I take it that you're not satisfied with the appearance of your fix. If you can't find a new cover... and if what I'm picturing is accurate... you could get a piece of stainless long enough to go all the way around, notch with tin snips so that the metal would follow the radius, drill and use stainless screws and you'd be better than the original design. Just a thought.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #5

Joe
You're lucky it was spotted, and the people were nice enough to let you know there was a problem.

KVH can't supply a dome for it?
Old 04-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Joe
You're lucky it was spotted, and the people were nice enough to let you know there was a problem.

KVH can't supply a dome for it?

I tried to call KVH parts today, but had to leave a message. Hopefully will hear from them Monday!

Old 04-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
I take it that you're not satisfied with the appearance of your fix. If you can't find a new cover... and if what I'm picturing is accurate... you could get a piece of stainless long enough to go all the way around, notch with tin snips so that the metal would follow the radius, drill and use stainless screws and you'd be better than the original design. Just a thought.

No problem with the stability of the fix, those aluminum strips have it securely held down, but water can get in around the screw locations where the plastic broke out. I can caulk up the holes if I have to, but if I can find a replacement that would be my preference!

Old 04-22-2016, 09:12 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You could always do what I did....I took the opportunity to replace my KVH dome with a Winegard Trav'ler...no more dome worries and better reception to boot!

CRAIG

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:25 PM   #9

I would be a little leery replacing the dome with a standard replacement that has already proven to have failed! Sounds like your fix is better than the original. Fill the areas where the plastic has pulled out with self leveling Dicor, put in SS screws on your aluminum flanges, back them out, put Dicor in the holes, and reinstall the screws. Cover the screws with Dicor for good measure, and call it a permanent fix, and better than original!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
I would be a little leery replacing the dome with a standard replacement that has already proven to have failed! Sounds like your fix is better than the original. Fill the areas where the plastic has pulled out with self leveling Dicor, put in SS screws on your aluminum flanges, back them out, put Dicor in the holes, and reinstall the screws. Cover the screws with Dicor for good measure, and call it a permanent fix, and better than original!

Thanks Scot! That's probably what I will end up doing! I found one company on-line that had the cover, but they wanted $225 for the cover plus $150 shipping!

Old 04-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
KVH parts called me this morning about a replacement plastic cover. They wanted $450 for the cover, including shipping!

I told him that he must have misunderstood what I wanted. I didn't want to buy the company, just that cheap plastic thingy on top of the dish!

It's obvious I will do whatever I can to patch the old one. I'm not going to pay that kind of price unless there is absolutely no other choice!

Old 04-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Make a template of the ring about 1/4 of the dome attachment with holes lay out and make up reinforcement brackets around the dome. You can use anything for the reinforcement. Home Depot has what you need.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
Make a template of the ring about 1/4 of the dome attachment with holes lay out and make up reinforcement brackets around the dome. You can use anything for the reinforcement. Home Depot has what you need.

Not quite following you there. Can you make it a little clearer for an old country boy? Thanks!

Old 04-26-2016, 10:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
KVH parts called me this morning about a replacement plastic cover. They wanted $450 for the cover, including shipping!

I told him that he must have misunderstood what I wanted. I didn't want to buy the company, just that cheap plastic thingy on top of the dish!

It's obvious I will do whatever I can to patch the old one. I'm not going to pay that kind of price unless there is absolutely no other choice!
Note to self.......#1 Do not park next to MSHappyCampers in the very near future!! #2 If must park there, check roof B4 departing!

B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite