Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #15

Sorry sir, I thought you were working with the much more commonly used Leece Neville alternator.

Again, I wouldn't plan on replacing it. They're designed to be easily serviced, and parts are generally not hard to come by. I'd ask that it be rebuilt - even if you're going to turn the bill in under warranty.

If you are wanting to replace it, you mentioned you have an inverter powered refer on board. That means you're frequently using a fair amount of power charging that battery bank. To help out there, I might be tempted to look into a bigger alternator, if I could find one that would bolt up where this one does. The higher capacity alternator may be a little more beefy in areas that might cause frequent trouble with a smaller one?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 06:37 AM   #16

Alternator not putting out.

Ahicks,
I was thinking of the same thing, replacing it with a bigger alternator that puts out more amperage. 200, it's 160 now?

It has a rear radiator. How hard is it to put the serpentine belt back in place?

Seems like it would be one of those jobs that you would have learned how to do after you replaced the alternator.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B

Old 06-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #17

I learned how to change the belt on ours (also a rear rad.) the hard way. It let go on a busy freeway in a big town during rush hour. I was able to get it off the freeway into a parking lot, but it was hot. I could have called road service, but thought I'd give it a go myself as I generally do all my own work - and I had a belt with me. That one took me an hour and a half. I can do it now in half that time, working from underneath. I also learned to wear clothes I can throw away afterward.....

Yours may be different!

Changing the alternator, as you mention, is a bugger. Not just because of where it's located, but they aren't the lightest thing to be holding in one hand while trying to start that first bolt with the other! I found that removing the air cleaner and some of that related tubing allowed pretty decent access to the area of the engine I needed to get to.

Reinstalling the belt after replacing the alternator is the easy part.... on ours anyway. There's no old belt to deal with, or pieces of what's left of it. -Al
Old 06-11-2015, 07:32 AM   #18

High output alternators are great ideas, as long as the wiring can handle the extra output. Otherwise the output is wasted heating the wires.

In most cases, you will never max out the alternators output, but if you do, you want the system to handle it.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #19

Update, not the final yet.
We took the moho to the shop this am. Starting up the coach today the dash voltmeter fluctuated for a few minutes then settled down to 13 volts, good. Then after about 30 miles I got an over voltage warning, 16+ volts. So we'll see what they say tomorrow.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #20

Alternator not putting out.

Well here we go.
It turned out to be the voltage regulator in the alternator. $160 for a new alternator. Not bad. Now it's putting out just like it should! Also ruined 4 batteries out of 8. And, the serpentine belt was damaged. That will need to be replaced. One is on order. I had a couple of other maintenance items done. $1100. Most was covered under warranty, whew!

Old 06-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #21

Re: the serpentine belt, for ours, there's a HD belt available (forever belt?) that cost about twice the price of the standard belt. Forget the specifics, but if it's an option for you, you might want to look into it - or have them look into it for you. Standard belts don't have a great reputation in my experience.

Re: the batteries, it could be a case of what comes first? The chicken or the egg? On our coach, I ended up replacing all of our batteries right after doing the alternator. I didn't feel bad as both banks were 10 years old, but it did leave me wondering though, what crapped out first? The battery(s), or the alternator?

Glad everything is working out for you. -Al

Tags
alternator