Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto on the drinking lots of water.

I was concerned as well and even looked into getting oxygen bottle to take to Breckenridge last week.

After Google U research, I decided to do as advised and drink lots of water several days before the trip. I did not feel 100% when we arrived at the rv resort, but I think that was more about driving through snow, ice and slush for the first time in my motorhome. I felt fine the next morning.

2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3
2009 Chevrolet Silverado toad, Remco Driveshaft Disconnect, Garmin 760LMT GPS
BillSkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
I have been spending time in Colorado for years. Extended periods at high elevation. I Drink lots of water a few days prior to my trip. I also start chewing tums/rolaids once I hit the road. Keep eating these antacids even once you arrive at your destination. Helps a bunch with the nausea associated with altitude sickness. Take it easy and within a few days you will be running laps.

Scott and Becca
15 Winnebago Forza 36G
moechester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:40 PM   #17
You did not mention where you live and your elevation.

I live at two elevation zones. Colorado at 6400 feet elevation and in the winters, Nevada at 2500 feet elevation. Even at the Broncos football games you will find the opposing teams... fizzling out by the fourth quarter. A definite home game advantage. Some players on oxygen on the sidelines.

If you are from Texas and live under 1000 feet elevation... or at the beach... when you get into the Rocky Mountains... take a day to acclimate. Even we going from 6400 feet to 10,000 or to Pike's Peak at just over 14,000 feet... need to go slowly at first. Otherwise the common symptoms of headache and nausea are your warning... to slow down your physical activities... NOW.

If you are healthy at 300 feet elevation, your getting adjusted will take a day or two and after a week... probably will do well in the Rocky Mountains.

If you have some extra weight, smoke and drink alcohol once arriving to a high elevation campsite, be very careful. Elevation can kill. Check with your doctor before you leave if you are on oxygen or not in the best of physical conditioning.

My wife and I did Ski Watch at Keystone Ski area in Colorado... for fun. Those found laying along the sides of a ski run, totally zapped... were usually from Texas and the next morning hit the slopes... hard. Nothing worse than having the ski patrol taking you down on a sled. Sometimes... even wanting you to get down to Denver at 5200 feet and lay back a day more... or two.

You have been given some excellent advice from what I read on previous posts. The mountains are pretty and you cannot wait to climb them and hike into the wilderness... but when you get the headache... turn around and get to a lower elevation. Been there, done that when we lived at 1000 feet in Kansas City, drive to Colorado and camp at 10,000... gets your attention!

You wonder how will you know about the headache. Take a piece of lumber and hit yourself on the head. You will know a mild headache from altitude sickness. No question about it.

Drinking lots of water... The air can be 5% humidity. You do not sweat as the air evaporates your perspiration almost immediately. Or if you are sweating... you will understand that you are losing water that your body is mostly composed. That is why ski areas have lots of restrooms. If you have not had to use a restroom for awhile... get some of that free Rocky Mountain fresh no after taste water. And come back again!
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:44 AM   #18
The problem I ran into was altitude induced sleep apnea. It scared the hell out of me as I would wake gasping for air. I don't have sleep apnea so I didn't know what was going on. We were in Woodland Park, Co., and it got to the point I went to a Dr. who told me to get an oxygenator. Which I did. I only needed it for sleeping but it completely took care of the problem. As soon as I got below 5,000ft. the apnea was gone.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #19
I live in iowa probably 600 to 1,200 ft. I traveled to Idaho twice and crossed the Rockies once at 9,000 ft. and thought I was going to die. Head, heart and lungs. I have traveled to Atlanta and went down thru so some elevation not sure how high. And had breathing problems and terrible pressure in chest. I have difficulty with flying and am sick the whole flight. So I don't fly any longer. I have looked up and found out about HACE and HAPE. Had a lot of these symptoms. I do have health issues. I talked with my Dr. and he had no clue what I could do. I appreciate the information everyone has put forward. I really want to travel to see the Grand Canyon and The Redwoods.
1hotmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:23 PM   #20
Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Dr's script for "Diamox" Google it.
Taken 2-3 days prior to first elevation increase and during the entire time at elevation. You may have tingles in your finger tips when you first get up but 1/2 - hr later they will feel normal once you get the blood flowing.
As much water as you can stand then another glass full all the time.
You must eat even though you don't feel hungry.
Max. relaxing or actually a 3-6hr nap when you first get at elevation will help.
Don't expect to have the same energy as you had before, ever.
Your body needs oxygen to survive and there is much less of it at elevation.
The longer you are at elevation the more energy you will have.
The slower you gain the elevation the better your chances of not getting Hypoxia.
Everyone's body is different and will react differently at elevation.
Even though you did ok at elevation the prior time doesn't guarantee the next time will be a success.
Body regeneration reverses at around 14,000ft in reduced oxygen. Can't survive naturally above that level forever.
My experience from doing Mt. Everest from a flat lander living at 600'.

1999 Newmar Mountain Aire MADP 4080, Cummins ISC 8.3L, Allison, Spartan MM IFS, Howard Power Center, Chev Trailblazer LTZ Towed w/ BlueOx rigging, Segway X2.
Qwert66 is online now   Reply With Quote

ems, problems