RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
mrk

Aluminum wheel in pieces from accident

Last Saturday, I was slowing for an intersection, and a semi pulled out of a parking lot and plowed into my Allegro Bus. No injuries, except to my MH. He hit me broadside, centered on my rear driver-side duals. Quite a bit of body damage and end cap slightly dislodged, but the aluminum wheel was broken to pieces.
My question is, with that amount of lateral force, what other damage to the drivetrain might I expect? I'm guessing that the axle mounting may have been dislodged, possible internal seal damage, too. How about the transmission?
I noticed, too, that the bathroom door is sticking, but I don't see any damage to slideouts (bath is not in a slideout). Fortunately, the radiator seems to have avoided damage, but the grill covering it wasn't so lucky.
I'm waiting to hear from the insurance adjuster and was hoping to have a little more information to ask informed questions of him/her. Anybody with similar experience or some good advice and counsel for me?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 09:13 AM   #2

Without seeing pictures, I am assuming the rig is totaled. The transmission is likely fine. The axle shaft might be bent. Possibly the housing as well, but that's less likely. Where's the pic?

The wheel is the least of the problems.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:14 AM   #3

Be sure the insurance company is aware of possible drive train issues you my have in the future. Push to make them have it checked out when it is finished.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Hmmmm? Bent frame, warped body/box, caulked joints loosened, cracked differential housing, engine and transmission as well as mounts damaged and/or bent.
Chances are leaks all over the roof and sides if the body is or is not warped. Slides may not work.
Likely nothing will buff out
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I would ask questions of the insurance and repair folks about what they are doing to ensure any damage caused by the accident are identified and how they will be repaired.

It is possible there is damage to the axle and by extension possibly to the frame if the hit was hard enough. Since there is not damage to the radiator it sounds like the wheel took the majority of the impact.

A photograph would help a lot.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
mrk

Trying to upload a pic or two.
No, I don't believe it's totaled, but by the time everything gets fixed, I can see $20-30,000 damage, maybe more.
What about the tire? It's certainly scuffed up, but would anyone say they'd want to keep it, or should I push for replacement?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190824_151834.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	258017   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190824_170414.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	258021  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190824_170537.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	258022  
Old 08-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
Trying to upload a pic or two.
No, I don't believe it's totaled, but by the time everything gets fixed, I can see $20-30,000 damage, maybe more.
What about the tire? It's certainly scuffed up, but would anyone say they'd want to keep it, or should I push for replacement?

Doesn't look too bad.

I'd request a replacement tire. It took a serious womp and there is no telling what damage is done to the sidewall, bead, and etc.
atroph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Takes a pretty big hit to do that to an aluminum wheel. I would be surprised if the axle attachment points and/or the frame are not damaged.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
After repair's are done I would demand a 4 wheel alignment! That rear axle took a hard hit!!
Old 08-26-2019, 10:07 AM   #10

Commercial Member

IMO unless the Insurance guy is VERY experienced with RVs he will probably miss a number of items. You need something in writing that will cover un-discovered damage for at least 6 months after the work is "completed"

Yes, the tire needs to be included but I bet that is the least of your worries. Rebuild at the RV company may be needed, with transport to the RV Co.

Also what is the compensation for not being able to use the RV for the 3 months it is being repaired?

Since the RV was seriously damaged when you go to sell it anything like "car fax" will show the accident which means re-sale value is down 10% or more no matter what repairs are done.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:11 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

This isn't unusual, guys. "Hidden damage" is the norm in insurance settlements and allowing for a "supplemental" claim if further damage is uncovered is standard procedure. Just talk with the shop owner to make sure he has factored in checks for frame and drive train issues so that any further problems get discovered before you get it back from the shop. I hope the Bus is on a Freightliner chassis rather than Tiffin PowerGlide, simply because it will be easier to get a professional frame & drive damage analysis from FCCC.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
Last Saturday, I was slowing for an intersection, and a semi pulled out of a parking lot and plowed into my Allegro Bus. No injuries, except to my MH. He hit me broadside, centered on my rear driver-side duals. Quite a bit of body damage and end cap slightly dislodged, but the aluminum wheel was broken to pieces.

My question is, with that amount of lateral force, what other damage to the drivetrain might I expect? I'm guessing that the axle mounting may have been dislodged, possible internal seal damage, too. How about the transmission?

I noticed, too, that the bathroom door is sticking, but I don't see any damage to slideouts (bath is not in a slideout). Fortunately, the radiator seems to have avoided damage, but the grill covering it wasn't so lucky.

I'm waiting to hear from the insurance adjuster and was hoping to have a little more information to ask informed questions of him/her. Anybody with similar experience or some good advice and counsel for me?
I would insist on a compete drive tran inspection before accepting any repairs as final.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #13
mrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
This isn't unusual, guys. "Hidden damage" is the norm in insurance settlements and allowing for a "supplemental" claim if further damage is uncovered is standard procedure. Just talk with the shop owner to make sure he has factored in checks for frame and drive train issues so that any further problems get discovered before you get it back from the shop. I hope the Bus is on a Freightliner chassis rather than Tiffin PowerGlide, simply because it will be easier to get a professional frame & drive damage analysis from FCCC.
It's the PowerGlide chassis, but I called Tiffin, they gave me the name of an authorized chassis shop less than 10 miles from where the coach is parked. Unfortunately, it can't be towed without a tire on the axle, and it's too tall to put on a flatbed. The tow truck folks gave me the name of a used tire shop that could put a temporary tire and wheel on the MH, and then I could drive it to the service center. I'm waiting for my insurer (Hartford/Turnbull) to call back with approval of that plan.
I appreciate the great input you all have offered to me, and whenever my adjuster comes out to look at it, I'll ask about all of these things. Ultimately, the semi driver's insurance should pay the bills, right??
Old 08-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the insurance company thinking in terms of CYA (theirs not yours) don’t be too surprised if they do total it.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote