Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Am I asking too much?

Long post, sorry. We stopped at a cg for the night. Plugged into 50A. One a/c came on and ran fine. As soon as the second a/c was switched on we lost all power and I heard a pop from the transfer switch. DW did the inside on/off work I was outside. I checked our breakers and the cg as well, all good.

My progressive surge protector was showing 118-119v on both legs. Only one leg was showing current draw, about 20A. The second leg showed 0 which I thought was unusual. The surge protector showed E0 which means normal operation.

I then plugged in directly not using the surge protector, still no power. I unplugged the power cord. Thinking it was a problem likely with the transfer switch because I heard a pop when we lost power and my surge protector was showing normal operation, I called a mobile tech. The earliest he could come out was the next afternoon.

We ran the generator all nite to stay comfortable using about 15-20 gallons of gas. The next day he tested our transfer box, surge protector and the cg receptacle. He found the cg receptacle was defective. The cg owner gave permission for him to replace it and paid him $53 and provided the receptacle . The new receptacle solved the problem. I paid him $100 to show up and $53 for 1/2 hr diagnostic work. It was late so we stayed another nite.

So we are out $153 for the tech, $30 for gas and one additional unplanned nite at the c/g which forced us to extend our trip by one day. Cost $34. The cg is out only $53 for labor since he was already on site at our expense.

The c/g owner refused to refund both nites cg/ fees but did offer refunding one nite. The stated reason was you said it was your problem, not ours. Had you not said that I would have had the pedestal repaired at my cost. Fair enough I guess. I am not a certified electrician. I know nothing about 220v. I only went by what my surge protector told me, that all was well. I now realize the pop I heard from the transfer box is normal when power is disconnected or connected.

The c/g owner also brought up that we asked if they could take my wife to town so we would not have to disconnect and reconnect our car in the heat. We paid for the gas ($10 for 30 miles). She approved that service.

She was well aware of the electrical problem as she rode by in her gator since she paid the rv tech for his work for them. We never had any contact with her but only workers who relayed conversations between us. The next day when I called was the first actual contact I had with her.

I guess what sticks in my craw is that she obviously avoided us and was unwilling to consider refunding both nites the first of which we used no hookups at all. The second nite we used electric only.

Am I asking too much?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #2

NO your not asking to much

We stayed at a CG in Nova Scotia .... arrived just in time for a hurricane the NEXT day,

No power for 6 days (left early on the seventh day).

No water as the well was dry according to staff (found out due to poor communication between staff their was in fact water all along ..., so we were on very short rations for the 6 days we were there.

Only power in the park was the lucky ones with generators.

I did not ask for a $$ refund as weather was out of their control ... but I did ask for ..... "how about some free firewood - in lieu of no water or power"
NOPE was the answer. Next trip I'll be staying a Spencer's Island NS.

Vote with your feet and a review on

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #3

I guess if you told the CG that the problem was your RV then I can't see why they should have to pay for the tech since you're the one who called him, not the CG. They probably have a maintenance person who would have diagnosed the problem and swapped out the breaker as part of their job if you'd asked them to. Actually, the description of the problem you posted above would have led me to strongly suspect a problem with the pedestal.

I understand that you feel you didn't get what you paid for but suspect you should have assumed it was a CG problem until they proved otherwise.

I've always heard you shouldn't go to an auto service shop and tell them to "change out the alternator" because that's what they'll do and they'll charge you for it even if it doesn't fix your problem. It's better to say my battery isn't getting charged and let them figure out what's wrong. Maybe CG problems are the same.

I can understand why she wouldn't stop by to see what you were working on if she'd already been told it was a problem with your RV. I've worked in CGs before and anytime you do that you run the risk of getting more involved than you want to.

Sorry for you problems but I would consider it just another part of the RV adventure. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #4

Regardless of what you said, it was their problem, comping you two nights they are still getting off cheap. In my mind once they realize it was their issue they should have picked up the whole damn tab. Then they could charge you for two nights. Please post the name and location of the campground, I won't stop there. Good Luck.
grumpytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:26 PM   #5

Before running the generator all night i would have notified the campground there was a issue with the site.

Maybe ask if they have a different site available to try a different power pole as that would help narrow down if the problem is the rig or the cg

yes they maybe could have done more, but i use to work in a hotel and we really didnt have much sympathy or provide much compensation for those that waited until checkout to ask for compensation. as them not notifying from the beginning didnt give us the opportunity to correct whatever the issue was
MattFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
We ran the generator all nite to stay comfortable using about 15-20 gallons of gas.

So we are out ..... $30 for gas .......

Am I asking too much?

Either you pulled a Rip Van Winkle or you have the only V10 generator I've ever come across.

The Onan in my 33' Itasca Suncruiser only burns a little over half a gallon per hour running both rooftop units.

Over a 10 hour period the generator would burn maybe 6 gallons.

Still, running just the rear a/c and leaving the bathroom door open, which blocks the hallway nicely, will keep the bedroom more than comfortable in even the hottest weather.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
The lesson I am learning from this is have the campground maintenance diagnose the pedestal first unless you are positive the problem is on your side.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
That CG is one to avoid.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A quick update on the resolution of this issue. I did ask for permission to run the genny all nite because if we could not do so we would have had to immediately leave since it was about 8PM. I did completely explain what I thought was the problem. If the cg had offered help i would have certainly accepted it. Due to the late hour I can see why they did not want to.

Probably nobody will believe this, but I was pretty sure it was my problem and I did not want to have the cg call out an electrician only to find out it was not their problem. Since my surge was indicating all ok and it was plugged directly into the pedestal. When I told the rv tech that he looked and it was still indicating that all was ok. He agreed it would be easy for me to expect that it was my problem at that point.

As to how much gas the genny used I can only go my the gas gauge. Because it was hot even the next AM, it probably ran 15 hrs or more. I should note that my 94 year old mother in law travels with us and her comfort is paramount to us. It was less than 1/4 tank but not by much.we have a 80 gal tank. So maybe less than 15 gals but I is my best guess but that really is not the issue.

I called back this AM after I slept on it and I agreed to accept the one nite she has already processed. Spending 1/2 a day posting it thru the cc (which we would have likely won) just does not appeal to me.

I'd do hesitate to slam them publicly since it was a nice cg and having had small businesses myself I hate to slam them. Obviously we will not stay there again. If anyone is traveling thru southern Indiana and wishes more info just PM me. There were other issues not mentioned here.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
A quick update on the resolution of this issue. I did ask for permission to run the genny all nite because if we could not do so we would have had to immediately leave since it was about 8PM. I did completely explain what I thought was the problem. If the cg had offered help i would have certainly accepted it. Due to the late hour I can see why they did not want to.

Probably nobody will believe this, but I was pretty sure it was my problem and I did not want to have the cg call out an electrician only to find out it was not their problem. Since my surge was indicating all ok and it was plugged directly into the pedestal. When I told the rv tech that he looked and it was still indicating that all was ok. He agreed it would be easy for me to expect that it was my problem at that point.

As to how much gas the genny used I can only go my the gas gauge. Because it was hot even the next AM, it probably ran 15 hrs or more. I should note that my 94 year old mother in law travels with us and her comfort is paramount to us. It was less than 1/4 tank but not by much.we have a 80 gal tank. So maybe less than 15 gals but I is my best guess but that really is not the issue.

I called back this AM after I slept on it and I agreed to accept the one nite she has already processed. Spending 1/2 a day posting it thru the cc (which we would have likely won) just does not appeal to me.

I'd do hesitate to slam them publicly since it was a nice cg and having had small businesses myself I hate to slam them. Obviously we will not stay there again. If anyone is traveling thru southern Indiana and wishes more info just PM me. There were other issues not mentioned here.
well, you posted the problem and the resolution, it's not slamming them to give us their name...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
well, you posted the problem and the resolution, it's not slamming them to give us their name...C
Actually that is a very fair point chuckster. I make no recommendation pro or con as to whether anyone else should stay there or not. Your experience may well be completely different than ours.

The cg is Thorntree Lake mobile home Park & Campground in St. Paul, IN just off I-74 exit 123.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #12

Glad you solved it.

I went to Southern Indiana last week. I only have 30amp. I parked my trailer and proceeded to hook-up power. There was no power. I called the office. They sent a man to replace the main breaker in 10 minutes. He came to the window when he was done to tell me that my plug was corroded and he cleaned it up for me. --- I am going to replace it.--I just haven't got round to it.
This was a state of Kentucky campground right across the Ohio.
I also carry a volt meter to test things and I know how to use it. When troubleshooting electrical problems, I always test for power at the source and then move to the next connection.
I asked my mom if she wanted to go camping with us. She is 93 and having A/C cooling is critical if she decides to go. Okay, it's critical for me too.

I'm glad you were able to work out a solution that you feel good about.
MollyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:24 AM   #13

To the op...You have learned a lesson.

Get a voltmeter and learn how to use it.

In about a minute you could have determined the issue and discussed with management the problem.

Stating power problem is no good as many rv are the problem but stating the actual measured voltage at the outlet gives them no exit.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
To the op...You have learned a lesson.

Get a voltmeter and learn how to use it.

In about a minute you could have determined the issue and discussed with management the problem.

Stating power problem is no good as many rv are the problem but stating the actual measured voltage at the outlet gives them no exit.
I actually have a volt meter and use it often on 12v and 120v circuits. Age has brought shaky hands and I just do not feel comfortable using it on 220v circuits.

For 120v outlets I have a yellow plug in circuit checker many of us use. Does anybody know of such a tester for a rv 50 amp receptical?