Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2017, 06:55 AM   #1

Am I breaking the law

My rv with My trailer hooked up is over 65 feet .
I live in minnesota The max length In My state is 65 feet or 75 feet depending where I look . assuming I am legal In My state what if I go to Maryland . ? The max length there is 55 feet .
What if the laws change in MN some day ? Would I be grandfathered in or some thing ? like an old car with out seat belts??
n2587n is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2017, 07:00 AM   #2

Probably not grandfathered in. I think all the western states will not change length as the trucking industry would raise holy hell. Only the Northeastern states have the restrictions on length as so much is small street and roads with over population
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #3

No. State you are in sets length limits it does not revert to home state length.

Lot's of discussions on the length topic on various forums.

Tom
Old 11-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Am I breaking the law

As said a hot button topic .. short version yes you are illegal .. state or individual road laws apply. You have lots of company driving over length. Can you be stopped? Probably. Will you be? Doubtful.
Im 66 1/2 feet long 2 years like this 2 circles around the country , stopped on cal 101 for speed .. no speed ticket [emoji106]no mention of length YMMV. Nice discussion about full timing with the officer [emoji6]
Old 11-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #5

My spin as a retired cop. I never bothered anybody from out of state for any type of equipment violation in CA that would not be illegal elsewhere. For example, CA requires two plates and prohibits window tint. If you were from a one plate state and tint there was okay you got a pass. I couldnt expect drivers to cater their vehicles to our laws. That would be absurd. You SHOULDNT have any problems, but to some cops there is no leniency or discretion. Safe travels and dont worry about it.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #6

How can Maryland enforce a 55 foot limit when there are tens of thousands of 53 foot trailers roaming their roadways every day?

Many times those listed max length have a little notation that many fail to consider when reading the law.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #7

it depends on the wording of the law in any given state, AND whether the wording pertains to a single vehicle or a combination....
tigerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgpd1sam View Post
My spin as a retired cop. I never bothered anybody from out of state for any type of equipment violation in CA that would not be illegal elsewhere. For example, CA requires two plates and prohibits window tint. If you were from a one plate state and tint there was okay you got a pass. I couldnt expect drivers to cater their vehicles to our laws. That would be absurd. You SHOULDNT have any problems, but to some cops there is no leniency or discretion. Safe travels and dont worry about it.
As a retired Police Officer from NC I have to agree with this. In 30 years I can not remember ever stopping an RV or having one of my Officers do so. I am sure it happened sometime but I can not remember it. Generally as long as you are trying to do the right thing we have no interest in stopping you. Most of us would have to pull out our chapter 20 (motor vehicle laws) just to see if you might be illegal. If you are speeding well that's easy. If you are stealing, even easier. Shooting, Raping, Robbing, or Murdering well we are just not going to get along. Rig to long, have a nice day.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:28 PM   #9

I'm like CRB478, bring an RV through with a long length, no problem. Bring your pickup truck and tandem trailer loaded 10 feet high with watermelons down 301 and your next stop was the truck scales on I-95. That usually ended with a $3,000 plus apportioned tag and the citation for not having a CDL.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #10

There are two types of violations, equipment violation and moving violation. Moving violation would be turning right on red. Most states allow it but some do not. If you are in state that does not allow it you will get a ticket. I ride a motorcycle, some states require a helmet some do not. I can not ride without a helmet in a state that requires it. An equipment violation would be not having a front license plate. If your state does not require it and you drive into a state that does you can not be given a ticket if your vehicle is plated in the state that does not require it. Now length is a different story. Length is determined by State and sometimes by road conditions, i.e.: some roads in CA do not allow vehicles over 40 feet. This would be enforced no matter what State you are plated in. However, as has been previously stated by two others who were LEO's, they will not go looking for you. So just obey all the other laws, especially speeding, and you should be ok. Try to stay n then interstate and avoid the surface streets too.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
There are two types of violations, equipment violation and moving violation. Moving violation would be turning right on red. Most states allow it but some do not. If you are in state that does not allow it you will get a ticket. I ride a motorcycle, some states require a helmet some do not. I can not ride without a helmet in a state that requires it. An equipment violation would be not having a front license plate. If your state does not require it and you drive into a state that does you can not be given a ticket if your vehicle is plated in the state that does not require it. Now length is a different story. Length is determined by State and sometimes by road conditions, i.e.: some roads in CA do not allow vehicles over 40 feet. This would be enforced no matter what State you are plated in. However, as has been previously stated by two others who were LEO's, they will not go looking for you. So just obey all the other laws, especially speeding, and you should be ok. Try to stay n then interstate and avoid the surface streets too.
Not to mention, from what we have seen, there will be a sign of some sort warning you of the length restriction.