RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #1

Am I expecting too much

Hello everyone, I am a newbie here and love all I've seen here. OK, so here is my quandary. I am 67 and a widower for 2 years now. My wife never cared for camping but I have always loved it. So being on a fixed SS income I decided that I want to roam the country. I found a 1998 Skyline Nomad 26 ft long with a slide out. It had been purchased and parked since new used sparingly as a cabin. It still has the original tires! which I am replacing. Along with several other items to bring it to like new. I have a 2013 RAM 1500 to pull it. So now I ask myself, did I buy too old a trailer (yes it is heavy) to chase my dream??? I was able to purchase it barely and I can't wait to head out.
Am I beating my self up? Already installed a distribution hitch, sway bar, electric tongue jack, new lights. everything else is like excellent and not a road dent or even wear to the underside.

r0ckykansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2019, 07:15 PM   #2

Not sure what you mean. I'm 70 my wife is 62 and there are many RVers older than us out and having a great time. If you start having health problems so serious that they hold you back then it may be time to put a hold on traveling. At that age we all have some problems.
WHere is your first trip planned for?

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Go for it, get out there and enjoy the road!
Old 11-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
Not sure what you mean. I'm 70 my wife is 62 and there are many RVers older than us out and having a great time. If you start having health problems so serious that they hold you back then it may be time to put a hold on traveling. At that age we all have some problems.
WHere is your first trip planned for?
I may be wrong but I took it that R0cky was concerned the trailer might be a bit heavy for his truck.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #5

Am I expecting too much

Thanks to the replies. I am more concerned with the wisdom or lack of in planning a trip with a 20 yr old TT. I plan to travel through New Mexico, Arizona to CA and then who knows.
r0ckykansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share.

I am not sure about your wt. problem but check your towing and hitch rating and for safety keep it at 90% of that for max. As to being too old to chase your dreams...NO. Remember you will be a year older next year so don't wait. I will be 70 in a couple of months and my wife is 65. Don't plan on slowing up anytime soon.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm almost 73, hope to get to travel more now. Wife died 3 yrs ago, step grandson is in college now so more time to travel.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Take it out locally for a shakedown cruise or two just to iron out any bugs it may have. It would be better to be close to home than half-way across the country in the middle of nowhere if something were to break. Also get some kind of roadside assistance such as Good Sam Roadside Assistance for when you get a blow-out.
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #9

Too old of a trailer to chase your dream? Absolutely not. The condition of the trailer matters, but not the age. As long as she's water tight, not excessively rusted, and road worthy, get out there and enjoy the great outdoors.

You're towing with a 1500 series truck, so that's going to limit you a bit. However, you're towing a 26 foot trailer, so it's not likely to over stress the truck. I didn't look up your exact make and model, but you're probably fine at that length. If you had a 36 footer, I'd have a very different opinion.

Do you have any towing experience? If you've never towed anything before, it can be a steep learning curve but nothing you can't manage. If you've got some experience under your belt but not with a camper, just remember that it's tall and wide, so it's going to catch a lot of wind. Be prepared for that and don't be afraid to be the slow guy on the road. Since she's 20 eyars old, you might want to repack the bearings before taking her out on the road. A lot can happen in 20 years and repacking a few bearings is cheap and relatively easy to do for the mechanically inclined. At 67 years old, you've probably done that before, right?

As far as lacking wisdom to plan a trip goes, just ask us here and we'll help you however we can. Unfortunately, the only way to develop that kind of wisdom is to just get out there and learn. Just make sure you've got a few extra dollars set aside for when something breaks. And something will break, I guarantee it. I can't tell you what or when, but it's going to happen. RVing isn't the cheapest hobby, but it's well worth the cost.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #10

I am sure your Dr. would tell you if he thought you should not take on a new adventure... were both the same age and I've got many miles and adventures ahead of me.. So... Give us a hand.

List your truck, year model engine and as much as you can about the truck.

List as much about the trailer you can, specific model number and any options you can.

take the Truck and trailer to a local truck stop with a weight scale and get the truck and Trailer weighed....

And for sure... Ask as many questions you might have and folks here will do all they can to help.

You will be fine!
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #11

Iím a sorry for your loss.
I say go for it.
Thereís no problem that canít be solved. I think planning is fun I use google allot to find little outta-the-way interesting things to go see. Remember too youíll have your home with you so you set your own pace.
To say you have a little apprehension just tells me you like to consider things rather than fly by the seat of your pants which is smart.
At this time in our lives we canít have regrets.
Iíd rather try and have some set-backs than not try at all.
~everybody needs a dream~
Best Wishes
Old 11-14-2019, 10:43 PM   #12

No, your trailer is not too old. It hasn't even been used!

Hook it up and go somewhere warm this winter!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #13

At 20 years old I'd inspect the roof carefully. That is getting close to the life expectancy of a rubber roof. If it's aluminum or fiberglass the roof likely would be fine but carefully inspect the seams and caulking around everything that protrudes through the roof.

The suggestion to repack the wheel bearings is a good one. When you do that look over the brakes carefully including the magnets that activate them. Also inspect the shackles carefully too. I know you said it saw little road time but it is easy to check and can keep you out of the breakdown lane.

I'd also recommend a few closer shorter trips to get familiar with you new rig before hitting the road. Enjoy your new adventure. I love life on the road.

PS I'm 66 so I guess i'm still a whippersnapper to you! Ha!
Old 11-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Hit the road Jack! I'm 80 and have no intention of stopping anytime soon!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote