Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
We do stay at those stated locations. We have generator solar panels and never need to make any noise because we respect others.
Some selfish RVers have no respect for others. They will pull into a lot where there are silent RVs already parked with people sleeping. Instead of staying away from these quiet rigs, they park next to them and turn their generator on, waking everyone up. Not to mention gassing others with the fumes. I can never understand the mentality behind that. Plus... are they deaf? How can they themselves sleep with the noise of a gen' running?

Quote:
The trucks are now parking at WM and idle all night. They cannot do that at truck stops. I am beginning to think going to truck stops it might be quiet.
I've never seen this happen - yet. I have seen big trucks parked away from the RVs but they stayed too far away to know if they were idling all night.

Quote:
With all the talking about these fantastic RVs why the need to run all night. We coldowm before night and again in the morning. Heat is the same. Shut furnace at night (programed that way) and on in the morning and nothing freezes in our unit.

We most have a much better unit for FT.
Us too....

Quote:
Beginning to hate it in the CG also. How can they sleep at night with 2 units running.
I've wondered about that myself. Are they all deaf? How do they do it? Ear plugs? Heavy medication?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I have a lot of money invested in our MH and I really hate to park it where I need to worry about someone running into it or stealing things from it.
Then avoid most CGs and Resorts since things are stolen regularly in them. Thieves are everywhere, including CGs and high-end Resorts.

Quote:
If I can afford thousands and thousands for a nice unit, I can certainly afford to park in a nice CG overnight. I will stop in Wally Worlds to procure things, but not to spend the night. I want hookups.
I doubt fulltimers park every night in parking lots! Those of us who utilize the lots are usually on our way from point A to point B. We just want a convenient place to spend the night. We don't need or want hookups.

Quote:
We generally try to be parked for the day by five PM. That way I can enjoy a nice dinner and evening and get a good nights rest. It is after all supposed to be the Golden Years. Why live like a truck driver? Been there done that.
Truck drivers are seldom hauling a load with a comfortable self contained RV.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I will agree with Don on his point. We avoid WM because it is not our cup of tea. If we were in need of overnighting at WM we would be concerned our generator, which is extremely quite, might disturb a neighbor. If attending a rally you'll find most options offer quiet times, or full use of your generator. A centuri exhaust is designed to expel the fumes upward and most folks at a rally will use this tool. In our case our behemoth is ALL electric, no propane! If we were to use a WM for overnighting most likely you would hear our generator if parked next to us. The choice is yours stay or move along too another spot!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I completely understand the frustration. On my last trip, I spent three wonderful nights in total solitude up in the mountains. Then one of these big rigs came along and started their generator (never shut it down). It was "quite" but still ruined the peace and quiet. I have no idea why, we were at 8000' MSL and the overnight temp was a comfortable 60 degrees.
I think some of them are so impressed with having a gen' they have to run it whether they need it or not. Is it to impress others? Themselves? Do they really need A/C on a cool beautiful night? What could be running while they sleep that needs the power output of a gen? Even a regular fridge can be turned off for 7 or 8 hours while one sleeps.

Quote:
As much as I hate to say it, most people are very inconsiderate of others. Maybe this is a big-city mentality or something, I don't know but I see it most everywhere I go. Very sad.
This is true. Many are selfish and inconsiderate. RVers are no better or worse than anyone else out there.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
I will agree with Don on his point. We avoid WM because it is not our cup of tea. If we were in need of overnighting at WM we would be concerned our generator, which is extremely quite, might disturb a neighbor.
It wont disturb a neighbor if you don't park close to them. I have seen class-A and class-Bs with gen's off away a little from the TTs and other RVs. There is no need for you to pull in among them and turn the gen on.

Quote:
If attending a rally you'll find most options offer quiet times, or full use of your generator. A centuri exhaust is designed to expel the fumes upward and most folks at a rally will use this tool. In our case our behemoth is ALL electric, no propane! If we were to use a WM for overnighting most likely you would hear our generator if parked next to us. The choice is yours stay or move along too another spot!
Why would anyone choose to park near you or anyone with a gen running? If they're already parked there (and possibly already sleeping) it's up to you to park 50 to 75' away as not to disturb them or gas them with exhaust. That would just be common sense and common courtesy.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tladouceur58 View Post
I might be a bit slow, but there is one thing I cannot figure out for the life of me. I am hoping some of our members might enlighten me on the subject...

What I DON"T UNDERSTAND is why the newer, very expensive, top-of-the line rigs need to run their generators 24 hours a day while boon docking.

Do they have things in them that require 110v electric ALL the time? Do they not have propane as alternate fuel sources for their fridges and furnaces and hot water? Does their solar not give them the power they need? How much power DO they need?

Please, if someone could help me out, I would be grateful. I always try to understand my neighbors bad habits rather than get mad at them. They world is much more peaceful that way. After all, I don't want to have to go after them with a baseball bat at 3:00am when I am trying to sleep if they really, really, REALLY do need to have the genny running and making all that racket
There's lots of good info in the replies...But, I only saw one post that answered the OP's question. Buried in Clay's reply was the term "ALL ELECTRIC" RV.

No, these RV's have no LP systems. Everything is electric just like at a sticks and bricks house...full sized residential 'fridge, electric in the water heater, electric fireplace, electric radiant in-floor heating, electric heat pump in the HVAC, electric oven and even induction cooking surfaces, the list goes on and on.

I saw a TV show about these awesome RV's on the Travel Channel and they have more in common with a luxury apartment than a camper.

Sure, these coaches have lots of batteries and big inverters, but as soon as you turn-on any heating device, batteries only last so long (heating is the biggest consumer of electrical power in our homes). If this was not the case, every home in America could have self-contained solar and battery systems.

I bet that if it is cold or hot outside, these RV's could not go through a full night without running the gennie from running the HVAC alone.

When we camp next to these mansions on wheels, we just shut our RV best we can...but we are lucky with dual pane windows and very heavy insulation. What else can you do but move?

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It seems to me this is the price one pays for wanting to stay at Wal Mart or other inexpensive places. It a matter of choice. It is hard to challenge someone who is not breaking any rules and I am guessing that Wal Mart et al must not have rules regarding generator usage. Maybe that is exactly why they are there in the first place, they can run their generator as they choose to do.

Generators, I guess some people smokim if they gottem whether necessary or not.

I personally would be concerned if my generator was keeping people from sleeping but then I stay in plug in places. Not always peacefully.

Some furnaces, water heaters etc make a tremendous racket. This I find can be mitigated by adjusting the air flow on some. A technician who service my water heater quieted mine down substantially making me quite happy my neighbors as well. But I had a neighbor whose water heater was high up in the frame and he insisted on running propane as well as electricity and all night long, click, plume and gush it sounded off, I know I was pretty much right next to it listening.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

When we camp next to these mansions on wheels, we just shut our RV best we can...but we are lucky with dual pane windows and very heavy insulation. What else can you do but move?

Safe travels
Why pull in next to them or camp next to them? They have to be QUIET between certain hours in CGs and Resorts no matter if they're all electric or not.

If you're pulling into a WalMart lot at night AVOID them like the plague. Park a 100' or more away from them. You wont get gassed or kept awake with their gen.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Why pull in next to them or camp next to them? They have to be QUIET between certain hours in CGs and Resorts no matter if they're all electric or not.

If you're pulling into a WalMart lot at night AVOID them like the plague. Park a 100' or more away from them. You wont get gassed or kept awake with their gen.
The OP was asking about Boondocking vs. Campgrounds - and maybe the mansion arrived after us(?)

Like said above, if WallyDocking, we believe RV's should spread-out to avoid the appearance of holding a "party in the parking lot"...but that's just us.

And I have found not all campgrounds have quiet hours. If there are no hook-ups, there might not be too many rules at all. Mgmt just wants everybody to get along. Plus in the deep summer of the southwest without shore power, we are running our gennie all night long for the AirCon

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ignorance or arrogance comes to mind.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
There's lots of good info in the replies...But, I only saw one post that answered the OP's question. Buried in Clay's reply was the term "ALL ELECTRIC" RV.

No, these RV's have no LP systems. Everything is electric just like at a sticks and bricks house...full sized residential 'fridge, electric in the water heater, electric fireplace, electric radiant in-floor heating, electric heat pump in the HVAC, electric oven and even induction cooking surfaces, the list goes on and on.

I saw a TV show about these awesome RV's on the Travel Channel and they have more in common with a luxury apartment than a camper.

Sure, these coaches have lots of batteries and big inverters, but as soon as you turn-on any heating device, batteries only last so long (heating is the biggest consumer of electrical power in our homes). If this was not the case, every home in America could have self-contained solar and battery systems.
The big, all electric rigs will use a DIESEL powered AquaHot or Oasis heating unit to supply all heat including water. The only power used is 12 V to power the pumps to circulate the heat, the fuel pump and small pancake fans to circulate the heated air. They are very efficient.
For cooling they will need to run the generator for long term use though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrvr View Post
Ignorance or arrogance comes to mind.

George
Been RV'ing since 1957, have met very few RV'ers in that time that would fit that "description".
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The big, all electric rigs will use a DIESEL powered AquaHot or Oasis heating unit to supply all heat including water. The only power used is 12 V to power the pumps to circulate the heat, the fuel pump and small pancake fans to circulate the heated air. They are very efficient.
For cooling they will need to run the generator for long term use though.
Does an Aqua-Hot or Oasis look like this?

Name:   spin_prod_915360912.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  5.1 KB

...'cuz that's what I saw in one of the basement bins on the TV show. I do not dispute these big RV's can have a Diesel water heat system, but maybe not all.

And, if they had an Aqua-Hot or Oasis, would that be enough energy saving to avoid using the gennie?

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Geez, what a mean thread! "Ignorance or arrogance". Really? The entire theme of IRV2 is based on helping one's fellow RV'er with their questions of need and to be NICE! FWIW I would never pull into a WM and park next to a fellow RV enthusiast and slam on my generator unless absolutely necessary. My mother taught me well! However, if MY spot is established and you pull next to me guess what!

Steve, I believe your illustration is one of a standard hot water heater. My Aqua Hot does not look like that. It is a flat box in the bay and is run off of AC or diesel. Some Aqua Hot systems use house propane. Yes, in order too cool my coach AC is necessary.

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote