Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^ Clay - I agree and I swear this is true - the Onan 8 KW Diesel Generator I have now is so much quieter than the Onan 2.5 gas Microlite I had on my old '91 B Van it's like the names were reversed at birth. I do have a db meter and two on my iPhone. I'm going to have to check the 8 HDK (memory freeze) and see what all the fuss is about - especially where I try to never be --- a Parking lot where everyone pays nothing and expects perfection apparently. Give me the level playing field of pay for CG, or park with rules every knows and follows or is asked to leave.

flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
We can always do something about generator noise near us with a 20.00$ box fan next to our bed pointed away from us just to make noise inside .

But the exhaust fumes can get sometimes bad if it does we just move .

Good Luck,

James
Old 11-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
There is not a modern coach out there that needs to run genny 24/7. They ALL can overnight without the genny. .
That's a pretty sweeping statement.

I suppose that it's true to some extent... depending on how much comfort the owners want and how risky they feel it would be to have the residential refrigerator turned off all night. The food "might" not spoil and make them sick I guess.

IMHO, the issue is more with consideration of others and one's expectations.

If I had just spent three days in solitude and someone pulled in by me and ran their gennie constantly I'd be frustrated too. I'm guessing they were clueless because they seldom give a second thought to others.

We are among those who never boondock but even CG's are too noisy for me. I've taken to sleeping with ear plugs... even in the stick house. I tell the DW that it's because of the outside noise and that she doesn't snore.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #33

As the owner of an all electric coach I guess I'll jump in here.

In our 03 Fleetwood we had to run the genny just to microwave anything. For sure when needing AC.

With our Dutch Star, it's only for AC. When I pull into my stopping place and I know I'll be running my genny all night I don't park next to anyone (if I can avoid it).

But I'm going to listen to those 3 Ac units run all night when the outside temps are in the 90s. I bought this thing for my comfort, I'll use it as such.

I do keep an eye out for other so that I don't disturb them. But when we pull into a rest stop and pull between 2 semis, 1 with it's refer running and the other with it's main engine idling, I'm not shy about genny running.

If one of them leaves and you pull into it's spot, then my noise was there first.

Most of our nightly stops don't have the genny running, because we don't need to. We have 8 house batteries and a 2800 watt inverter. I do start it up 2 hours before leaving, so the batteries recharge.

Our hot water comes from an Oasis using diesel, when not plugged in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #34

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tladouceur58 View Post
It seems to me that they are not very efficient if they need to run a genny all the time. Plus, the noise is horrendous. They must be much larger than my 5500 Onan, because even when I was running mine to blow dry my hair I could STILL hear the neighbors genny and I could NOT hear my own

Please, if someone could help me out, I would be grateful. I always try to understand my neighbors bad habits rather than get mad at them. They world is much more peaceful that way.
The fact is that YOUR generator is sound proofed for the interior of your RV, not the exterior. Same for the other unit. So...you'll hear the other generator because that's where the sound is dumped, outside. I'd suggest move OR get a soothing noise generator, maybe surf sounds, and turn it up.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For most of our camping lives we have dry camped at race tracks. We find it hard to sleep without the gen running. How close must you be at WM to have someones gen bother you? They are big lots find a spot. As far as wanting to show off a generator, I don't think they are that special, I think you would be hard pressed to find any class motorhome sold today that didn't come with one as standard equipment. Like others have said, I bought mine for comfort, if its over 67 degrees, I'm running my ac which means I'm running my gen. As far as wall mart goes, you get what you payed for. Its free and its a parking lot. We use them only when traveling from place to place and would never pull up right next to someone while they are sleeping and run the gen. I do find it hard to believe that when plugged in at a campground that the sound of ac units running or water heaters firing would bother anyone. I can see people wanting complete silence but lets face it, unless your tenting it or primitive camping, thats not going to happen. Also if its super cold outside and the furnace is running constantly (propane furnace) the fan can suck down batteries extremely quick. There were mornings when we had to run the heat all night and there wasn't enough power to start the gen in the morning. I wont risk that again however I think our new coach would do much better due to bigger battery bank and dual pane windows. Believe me, running a gen is not arrogance, its all about comfort.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Does an Aqua-Hot or Oasis look like this?
Attachment 49386

...'cuz that's what I saw in one of the basement bins on the TV show. I do not dispute these big RV's can have a Diesel water heat system, but maybe not all.

And, if they had an Aqua-Hot or Oasis, would that be enough energy saving to avoid using the gennie?

Safe travels
Nope, that looks like a small auxiliary electric water heater for use under a home cabinet so you don't have to wait for the cold water to flow out of the faucet before water flows from the main water heater. Not quite instant hot water but close. Could be that they also have an AquaHot or Oasis unit and didn't want to wait for the water to get hot.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I will ad that our new coach has and will change the amount we run our gen. I can now run my TV's at night without the gen due to the fact we have an inverter, something we didn't have in the old coach. The new coach has more batteries so we can run the furnace all night and not worry as much. It also has much better insulation and dual pane windows so it holds the heat better and I would assume it will hold the cool better so we might be able to cool it down and then shut it down and keep a comfortable temp inside the coach on moderate nights. I for one would love to use less gen time to save on wear and tear on the gen as well as fuel savings.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
I agree, there is no need to get nasty. I only asked the question because I truly wanted to know if the units are that much different from mine. I have NEVER had to run my genny all night EVER, and I have camped in the snow and below freezing weather several times and my furnace runs fine off the battery bank and I have lots of power left in the morning when my solar panels get back to work charging. Mind you, I keep the temp down at night as I like to sleep cool so the furnace does not run constantly.

I turn the genny on for maybe 10 minutes in the morning to run the Kureg coffee maker and then turn it off again. Everything else I run off inverters hard wired to the battery bank.

If I want to nuke something for lunch I turn it on for a few minutes again, but overall I would say it runs no more than a half hour a day. Thus, my confusion when the neighbor pulled in, cranked the jenny and let it run for the next 2 days straight
Old 11-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
and how risky they feel it would be to have the residential refrigerator turned off all night. The food "might" not spoil and make them sick I guess.
At first blush, a residential frig is probably a valid reason to constantly run a genny. However; I do wonder why these rigs don't have enough battery power to run the thing for a good portion of the day/night (and then run the genny for just a couple hours to recharge)? Seems like a poor design.

There has been lots of talk of running the genny at a rest stop, walmart, etc... That doesn't bother me in the least - those are all noisy places to start (mostly, due to traffic coming and going). I also understand running them for AC when the temps are high/humid. I can sleep just fine with them running. It is during the day/evening AND at campgrounds/boon-docking sites way out in nature. With them running one is unable to hear the breeze blowing thru the trees, the birds singing, or the rush of water in the creek. I suppose some people never hear these things - maybe the big city folks don't even know they exist.

I'm sure (because I've been told ) I'm just an old curmudgeon as I don't care for the four-wheelers racing around and around and around (stirring up dust and making noise), blaring music (of any type), or non-stop yapping dogs.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The OP was asking about Boondocking vs. Campgrounds - and maybe the mansion arrived after us(?)

Like said above, if WallyDocking, we believe RV's should spread-out to avoid the appearance of holding a "party in the parking lot"...but that's just us.
The places we Wallydock on our yearly migration will find most RVs rather close together off to the side of the lots. Sometimes they're spread out. We usually try and find a place near the others and under a light. We avoid parking near Class-As and Cs as these are the ones with gens.

Quote:
And I have found not all campgrounds have quiet hours. If there are no hook-ups, there might not be too many rules at all. Mgmt just wants everybody to get along. Plus in the deep summer of the southwest without shore power, we are running our gennie all night long for the AirCon

Safe travels
I can understand that. We're eastern campers but I spent a month on a cross-country trip in the west in the 1970s. Nights were pretty darn hot until we left the desert areas and headed north. Las Vegas was the worst. How did we survive with no A/C in those days? So far we haven't camped anywhere in a CG that had no hookups at all and/or no quiet hour rules. That kind of camping is more common in the west than the east.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimooo View Post
We can always do something about generator noise near us with a 20.00$ box fan next to our bed pointed away from us just to make noise inside .
How do those without gens run box fans to block an inconsiderate RVer who pulls in, wakes them up and gasses them during the night? Outlets don't work in many rigs unless hooked to shore power or a gen.

Quote:
But the exhaust fumes can get sometimes bad if it does we just move .

Good Luck,

James
Just move? You're kidding right? You don't realize that all those people sleeping in TTs, PUPS etc have to get out of their beds, get dressed, wake up the entire family... go outside and get into their TV and move their RV just because some selfish inconsiderate RVer pulled next to them and turned on their gen?
Old 11-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
For most of our camping lives we have dry camped at race tracks. We find it hard to sleep without the gen running. How close must you be at WM to have someones gen bother you?
If they're more than 50' or so away the noise is tolerable and the exhaust doesn't gas neighbors.

Quote:
They are big lots find a spot. As far as wanting to show off a generator, I don't think they are that special, I think you would be hard pressed to find any class motorhome sold today that didn't come with one as standard equipment. Like others have said, I bought mine for comfort, if its over 67 degrees, I'm running my ac which means I'm running my gen.
There's nothing wrong with running a gen'. It's those inconsiderate RVer who pull into a spot next to quiet TTs and turn it on, annoying and gassing everyone and waking people up. The lots are large, park away from others if you want to run a gen. Don't expect them to get out of their beds, get dressed, wake everyone up, go out to their TV... and move their rigs because you have a gen. Those selfish inconsiderate RVers doing this in parking lots get furious if someone keys or spray paints their rig, or slashes a few of their $300 tires. Is it worth it? Just park away from the other rigs. Park by other Class-A and C's running their gens or by yourself.

Quote:
As far as wall mart goes, you get what you payed for. Its free and its a parking lot.
So that means selfish inconsiderate people should do as they please with no thought of the other RVers already there?

Quote:
We use them only when traveling from place to place and would never pull up right next to someone while they are sleeping and run the gen. I do find it hard to believe that when plugged in at a campground that the sound of ac units running or water heaters firing would bother anyone.
I don't think they do. In only one place did we hear such sounds but when inside our TT we didn't hear it. A/Cs don't make that much noise from outside.

Quote:
I can see people wanting complete silence but lets face it, unless your tenting it or primitive camping, thats not going to happen. Also if its super cold outside and the furnace is running constantly (propane furnace) the fan can suck down batteries extremely quick. There were mornings when we had to run the heat all night and there wasn't enough power to start the gen in the morning.
If you turn your engine on and let it charge the battery for a few minutes the gen still wont start? Ours will and the rig is 20 yrs old. Again, just park away from the TTs and other types of RV that don't have gens.

Quote:
I wont risk that again however I think our new coach would do much better due to bigger battery bank and dual pane windows. Believe me, running a gen is not arrogance, its all about comfort.