Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-14-2015, 06:09 AM   #15
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen a few companies with the name Blue Sky, ,all of them were not companies I would care to do business with, This includes their insurance.

Liberty Mutual
AARP (hartford)
IF your RV is a motor home check out AEON via FMCA

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2015, 08:22 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Git rid of Blue Sky! Find yourself an Insurance AGENT that specializes in RV insurance. They will write with several companies and will represent you while finding the best plan. Several of the companies others have touted are "direct writers" where you call them direct and act as your own agent (good luck, hope you know ALL about RV insurance).
We use Farm & City Ins. Services who are "down the street" from the Winnie factory - 1-800-282-1446.........

Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #17
I'm happy to see people in their 70s and 80s still driving a rv. My mom is 83 doesn't drive a motorhome but drives her car every day and still works 5 days a week.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I have seen more folks in their 70's and even 80's handling rigs of every size and type like pros than you can count. Many are in better shape and sharper than you're average bear - me.

I'm sure Roger meant well while stepping in it - and there are some for whom his cautionary tale may apply. But I think it is less true for the rving community than the general population, for no other reason than rving and the lifestyle keep you active both physically and mentally. That said - even in the general population - 70 is the new 50.

If I'm not mistaken - Roger is looking for an RV - and may never have had one. That's a great thing and we can all learn from each other and this forum. But one thing ya can't learn here is what RVers are like face to face and how amazing the "older rvers" are.

And as for thinking about hanging up the keys, I think it crosses RVers minds far more often the your regular Joe who has never been behind the wheel of MH - toad in tow or a TT or 5th wheel. Driving a car is largely taken for granted. RVing is a cherished thing and we all know it and we have an expiration date and take the responsibility seriously.

Well said Steve!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had to chuckle about the "age discrimination" comment - any person-related insurance has age "discrimination" built in because age is easily statistically tied to a variety of risks. Often the premiums actually get lower as the person matures, but eventually it reverses and they begin to increase again. And at some point may become unaffordable (think life insurance!).

Apparently Blue Sky had elected to set age 75 as the point where the statistical risk exceeds what their premiums are devised to handle. They could perhaps be forced to offer 75+ insurance at some price, but if it was $100.000/year for 100k worth of coverage, what's the point?

In any case, there are insurers with different policies and rate schedules, so Scooter just needs to shop around.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't think they could discriminate like that.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
HEY.........All you people can just back off . I'm pushing 85 and I can out drive any whippersnapper out there today.
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
And I'm talking age, so don't get smart.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:06 PM   #22
Workhorse Chassis Owner
boy am I in trouble, I took my class A CDL at 75 and passed with on problem, now going on 78 ( in 3 mos ) still going strong.............
stryker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:43 AM   #23
Fulltimers need special insurance because they have to cover the cost of liability and contents. Those are things normally covered by homeowners policy. Your auto insurance cannot cover that part if you are a fulltimer.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #24
Appalachian Campers
It is obvious that people are staying healthier to a later age. It is also obvious from Rodger's post they are not getting any smarter or nicer.

Have a good day sir
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #25
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My mother was too old to safely drive a car on an interstate when she was 70. My FIL was safely driving large farm wagons (similar in size to many RVs) at 80 when he finally retired from farming. Old is not something directly associated with age.
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240 RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ain't that the truth !!
Mark & Carole RVM54
What a long strange trip it's been
2002 Fourwinds 5000 26Q 496 ci. Chevy towing 2004 Jeep Wrangler,2016 Starcraft AR One 18', 2016 F-150
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #27
Tiffin Owners Club
Well said Flaggship1 (Steve)

Ageing is a very individual thing and older people do not all need to be put in the same box. Experience increases with age and usually wisdom does also and this can make up for any loss of dexterity or cognitive response (if there is any loss of either.)

There are cases (such as happened a couple of days ago with the elderly man running through the car wash, confusing the accelerator and brake) where a relative or friend should step in help the person make the right decision.

I hope that we (being the RV community) will lead the way by being more self aware and park it before we become part of the problem.
Larry and Prissy Sharp
2006 Allegro Bay 37DB
2012 Toyota Yaris
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #28
Forest River Owners Club
I am 77. I have insurance with a company called ANPAC. AMERCIAN NATIONAL PROPERTY AND CASUALTY COMPANIES Have been with them for 12 years and no problams. After 3 years without a claim they will start returning 25% of what you paid. Just got my DL renewed. have to do it every year. Take an eye test and they ask if any health problems.

dunk05 is offline   Reply With Quote