Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Am I too old (sob) for RV insurance ?

Blue Sky thought so. I was looking around for a possible change, filled out their form.....and Jim Schecter wrote back "No scheduled driver may be 75 years or older"

Any old fogies out there, older than 75, have a policy you like ?

Thanks (I'm going to take my nap now)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to DonaandDon
Most add the RV as a rider to their auto insurance?
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Oh, oh! I'm in trouble!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #4

Trust many of us when we say you are not missing a thing with Blue Sky.
Known for low balling first year then dropping the hammer the second and you would be back to square one, only a year older
Old 01-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #5

To be serious, if you qualify for a driver's license, you should be able to drive an rv and find insurance. However, you might not "like" what you find as to insurance options...you now belong to a high risk group.

I could joke with you a bit as to the type of rv you could drive, but most of the time it is about your eyes, your driver awareness, and your reactions...your mental attention span.

You are lucky as a lot of 75s are riding wheel chairs at best and your time, if you are a competent driver, as I assume you are, is getting shorter quickly for most people that are 75.

I will say that it is better for you to back off before you reach your limits, rather than push beyond them and get someone hurt. Find a younger companion to drive the rv.

I do understand that it is difficult because we all progressively begin to lose our independence, a bit at a time, and it is hard to face that.

Getting older, as I am doing as well, and I, myself, being around a number of people older than me, I think I have a right to lay this out directly as a private caregiver as sweet talking you is in appropriate.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
RodgerS go jump in the lake!! We need your lecture like we need a hole in the head. I think that insurance agency should be taken to task for age discrimination. You'll get me out of my motorhome when you peel my cold, dead fingers from the steering wheel and not one minute sooner. I hope I'm driving it until I'm 95.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RogerS,
You need to print your post and save it read when you turn 75 and see if you feel the same way about yourself at that time.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:22 PM   #8

I stand on my post as appropriate.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:29 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
RogerS,
You need to print your post and save it read when you turn 75 and see if you feel the same way about yourself at that time.
I have seen more folks in their 70's and even 80's handling rigs of every size and type like pros than you can count. Many are in better shape and sharper than you're average bear - me.

I'm sure Roger meant well while stepping in it - and there are some for whom his cautionary tale may apply. But I think it is less true for the rving community than the general population, for no other reason than rving and the lifestyle keep you active both physically and mentally. That said - even in the general population - 70 is the new 50.

If I'm not mistaken - Roger is looking for an RV - and may never have had one. That's a great thing and we can all learn from each other and this forum. But one thing ya can't learn here is what RVers are like face to face and how amazing the "older rvers" are.

And as for thinking about hanging up the keys, I think it crosses RVers minds far more often the your regular Joe who has never been behind the wheel of MH - toad in tow or a TT or 5th wheel. Driving a car is largely taken for granted. RVing is a cherished thing and we all know it and we have an expiration date and take the responsibility seriously.

JMHO
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #10

Flaggship1, X2...I don't think RodgerS meant any harm, he was just giving his opinion. But I have seen many Rv'ers much older than I am, drive their MH's better than most drive their cars. I have learned alot from some of the older guys, just sitting around at the CG talking about MH'ing. I think the lifestyle adds to the longevity/ability and I surely hope 70 is the new 50. At the end of the day it's everyone's responsiblity to recognize when they have to "hang up the keys", but not some insurance company just based on a number. And like you said I'm sure that's in the back of everyones mind that owns a MH, is how long they can participate in our cherished hobby so to speak.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:41 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scooter....Do you have a Seniors Center anywhere near you? We took a Seniors Driving class and AAA gave us a discount on our insurance.

At that class they may have some information on various insurance companies policies regarding age.

I'd never heard of being rejected due to age before your post.

Oh, another thought....I hope your rig isn't over 10 years old....then the campgrounds will be rejecting you because your RV is too old.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:09 AM   #12

HEY.........All you people can just back off . I'm pushing 85 and I can out drive any whippersnapper out there today.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:27 AM   #13

And I'm talking age, so don't get smart.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:41 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm 81 and still driving my 40 ft. motorhome and plan on doing it until at least 2017 when my license is due to be renewed. Progressive ins.
whmprt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance