Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
OK... I AM going to name names!

In February, I ordered a new 12 gallon Surburban DSI water heater for my 41 DSDP. 3 days later, I come home from work and discover, on my front porch, a Surburban factory carton with UPS stickers all over it.

Except that unlike most 6 sided boxes, this one had a corner smashed in 4 to 5 inches. That corner had been cut open, pried apart for a peek, and then brown cello taped back up, and covered with reprints of the delivery address.

Yes, the brown cello tape had UPS logos all over it.

I opened a small viewing hole, and the outer lower left corner of the exterior side of the heater was folded up over the burner control, and the propane tube was so smashed, it accordianed.

I called immediately to the seller, and described the damage. They profusely apologized, and said another one was on the way. They would start the return process with UPS.

Two days later, another one arrived.... one corner slightly smashed in... thankfully, on the back edge, and only damage was dented Styrofoam.

Both items dropped off midday, no one home, they rang the bell and ran (neighbors saw the second one).

Installed second one, has worked flawlessly across 2k miles, and 90 days of on the road.

30 days went by, no claim forms, no contact from UPS. I even buttonholed a driver delivering something else, he saw the obvious patch job and actually bust out laughing.

Vendor apologized again, and re-initiated claim process. She said she spends a fair portion of her day dealing with UPS claims.

Another 30 days goes by. EXACT same process again from vendor. I volunteer to take it to local UPS distribution center. She says I cannot do that, it gives UPS an out. Another heartfelt apology.

Another 45 days goes by. We are moving into our RV full time. House has sold (with this dented box a fixture just inside our front door).

Vendor has CEO informed. He emails me an RMA and a prepaid UPS return sticker back their center, probably destroying their hope of recovering the $550. heater. I have not heard anything since.

I buy from them religiously.

RV Upgrades.com

The Platinum standard in customer service. Jan in Ohio is who tried her damnest to play by the book. When that all failed, they sucked it all up.

I am a customer for life.

singpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

You certainly picked a good vendor to swear lifetime loyalty to.

Problem is, limited alternatives in the shipping business. I swore off of USPS after a debacle over the holidays.

Glad it worked out for you.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #17
I bought a muffler from a vendor and it showed up on my doorstep. With a sticker on it. No box. No padding. Just the darn muffler with a shipping label stuck to it.

Meanwhile I order a book and it comes triple padded in 3 different layers of boxes.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
That is fine if this were the real world, However It has been ages since I saw an actual carrier. UPS will drop the package off and leave as will Fed Ex.
This is more like what happens to me on a delivery that I really need, on a Friday of course. -RT

How UPS Deliveries Actually Work

How UPS Deliveries Actually Work - YouTube
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:38 PM   #19
Originally Posted by singpilot View Post
30 days went by, no claim forms, no contact from UPS. I even buttonholed a driver delivering something else, he saw the obvious patch job and actually bust out laughing.
In my experience with UPS, you as the end use customer, would not have received claim forms. Normally, we, the shipper, would initiate the claim and UPS would pickup the item from the customer and take it somewhere for inspection (often subjecting it to additional damage). Usually a determination would be made as to whether or not they would cover the claim and eventually what was left of the parcel would make its way back to us.

UPS uses a 3rd party for adjudicating damage claims and, like most insurance adjusters, their answer is usually "no" until you argue with them for a while which is a very time-consuming process for a small business.

The bottom line as we determined it was that neither UPS nor FedEx is very good with items that come anywhere close to the weight and size limits they prescribe. They are pretty reliable when it comes to relatively small rectangular boxes that can be thrown around without any particular damage occurring. Entrust them with large, irregular, and or heavy items and the results are totally inconsistent; most items still get delivered OK, but some get absolutely destroyed. As a final comment, don't waste your effort putting FRAGILE or THIS END UP stickers on packages; they seem to treat those with special contempt!
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #20
Fed Ex delivered a small generator to doorsteps. Placed item on porch and I said we should look into the container to see that all is here. He said they don't do that ever and sign my ticket please. IF any damages you can bring it up to our offices. Sure, and the fight gets harsher if I find things wrong? Driver said he would be on route all day if all customers wanted to tear into packages for inspections. Laughing his way off porch he galloped out of the driveway.

Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote