Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
My parents had an RV of one sort or another from my earliest memories, until I was 14 years old. Even know we where not well off financially, my dad thought it was worth it as a way to make sure that the family did stuff together on a regular basis. He would drag us off to all kinds of destinations, and we visited almost every state east of the Mississippi multiple times, usually to different natural sites: mountains, valleys, lakes, forests and caves.

Well, being the youngest, I was still at home when my brothers and sisters went their own way after high school. The camper ended up sitting in our back yard for a couple years, then sold when I was 14. Most of our trips were so long ago that I don't remember much about them.

Well, now 30 years later and there is a motorhome sitting in my backyard for 5 years. My wife insisted a few years ago that we use it for more than weekend trips, or get rid of it, so we started taking a two week vacation each year to a new destination.

An amazing thing happened; I would be at these new destinations and suddenly get the feeling of déjÃ* vu. I recognize a rock formation in a cave, or a rocky climb to an observation deck in the mountains, or the view from an overlook. After all these years, places I have forgotten jump back into my head, along with memories of being a little boy standing in the exact same spot gazing out at the world in awe.

Now I come home and tell my 75 year old father about the places I have been, and the memories they have stirred. Some times it takes lots of description and pictures, but he usually remembers the place also. It is nice to be able to remind him of a little bit our past.
Mark&Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
My parents had an RV of one sort or another from my earliest memories, until I was 14 years old. Even know we where not well off financially, my dad thought it was worth it as a way to make sure that the family did stuff together on a regular basis. He would drag us off to all kinds of destinations, and we visited almost every state east of the Mississippi multiple times, usually to different natural sites: mountains, valleys, lakes, forests and caves.

Well, being the youngest, I was still at home when my brothers and sisters went their own way after high school. The camper ended up sitting in our back yard for a couple years, then sold when I was 14. Most of our trips were so long ago that I don't remember much about them.

Well, now 30 years later and there is a motorhome sitting in my backyard for 5 years. My wife insisted a few years ago that we use it for more than weekend trips, or get rid of it, so we started taking a two week vacation each year to a new destination.

An amazing thing happened; I would be at these new destinations and suddenly get the feeling of déjÃ* vu. I recognize a rock formation in a cave, or a rocky climb to an observation deck in the mountains, or the view from an overlook. After all these years, places I have forgotten jump back into my head, along with memories of being a little boy standing in the exact same spot gazing out at the world in awe.

Now I come home and tell my 75 year old father about the places I have been, and the memories they have stirred. Some times it takes lots of description and pictures, but he usually remembers the place also. It is nice to be able to remind him of a little bit our past.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #3

Yep...I have a few childhood trips I want to repeat in my RV but haven't gotten around to. I am fortunate enough that my parents are able to come camping with me a few times a year. A few times a year, we are able to have three generations camping together. Life is good.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #4

Well I know EXACTLY what you mean. When I was growing up we did the same in a slide in truck camper. We went on BOTH sides of the MS river...

When Cathy and I went on our honeymoon... Yep, in a camper... We went to some of the same places I went as a youngster..

Fast forward several years... We took OUR kids to those places... Now there is only one left at home, but we still are-a-campin.

Another "Twist" to the story is a "Reversal" of sorts now. Mom and Dad sold the rig they had a few years ago due to Dad not being comfortable driving it due to his lack of depth perception.

Now THEY come with us! Yep, Cathy, Ashley and I along with Mom and Dad.

Dad is about to knock the 80 year old door open (Mom ain't far behind) and hopefully we have several more years of "Campin together" left.

So when ya add it up I have 40 years of "Campin" under my belt now.

I have been to all but 4 of the continuous United States. (Have been in Canada too)
Old 01-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mark&Marie,
You've stirred up the memories for me. We also vacationed as a family, but not usually in an RV. For us it was the family car to visit relatives out of state or tenting, and eventually as a teenager we had a camper. The camper was fun and there are a few places I'd like to revisit.

My husband is always reminiscing about the trips he took in the family camper, trailer and motorhome. In fact, we are able to use his Dad's old FMCA member number - 24667s. I'm sure we'll see a few of our favorite memories on our wanderings through CA, OR and WA this spring.

Rick and I traveled the US and Canada full-time for a number of years in the 1980's and I can remember those places a lot better than when I was a youngster.

The next time you 'wander' over to the Monaco Owners Forum why not ask to become a member of that forum so we can recognize you and the motorhome you own. Thanks for the memories.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #6

I always envied kids my age that went camping with their family's.My Dad couldnt be bothered.He hated the woods.We did rent an A-frame one weekend ,and that was enough for him. I ,on the other hand am making up for that by giving my kids those memories.My 4 year old knows more about this country(by seeing it) than I did at the age of 20. I love this rv thing.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:56 AM   #7

My memories of camping as a kid with my best friend's family at Bear Den Campground in North Carolina. Havent made it back up there , but plan to.
bud121156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:09 AM   #8

When I was a kid we went on very few vacations.Dirt poor if you know what I mean. We did go for drives on the week-end and had picnics. Dad got killed in a minging accident when I was 12 years old so my memories of him were those of the good times.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:48 AM   #9

I used to spend the whole summer camping in Yosemite Valley. In those days there was no time limit. I remember the Firefall, and the view from Glacier Point. We took our grandchildren there a few years ago. While standing on Glacier Point and looking across the Clark Range, I mentioned to someone next to me " I've stood on this very same spot over the years with my Mother and Father, my Wife and Children, and now I'm standing here with my Grandchildren." Talk about memories.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:23 AM   #10

I am begining to believe that memories are the best part of being retired. I do look forward to the times comming that we can do the things you guys are talking about. We plan the trips now and are getting ready for the adventure.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Full-Timer,

"Dirt poor" I do know. All our neighbors thought we were rich because we had a motorhome sitting in the backyard; behind our 900 sq ft home with 5 kids, and 4 dogs. What they didn't bother to understand was that my dad worked 2 - 3 jobs the whole time I grew up; and we still ate lots of mac and cheese and cut corners where ever we could. He thought it was worth it to be able to take the family camping. I think he was right...

Mark
Old 01-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #12

Tent camping in a national forest 30 minutes from our house was the cheapest week-long vacation my parents could come up with...as kids, we had no idea we weren't rich. As an adult looking back on my childhood, I am still convinced I was given how my parents approached life.