Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
American campgrounds

does anyone here know about this? it's a membership. cost's are $595.00 to join, $99.00 a yr dues and camping is $10.00 a nite. my brother just joined but he didn't know too much about it and hasn't been to a campground.

I read somethings on their site and sent away for more info. need your input on it if anyone has this or knows anything about it. thanks.

Outlaw

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #2

What membership campground?

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
American campgrounds
Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #4

Passport America is quite popular, there are some restrictions, but for only $50 a year and half priced camping it doesn't take long to pay for itself. If it turns out you don't like it you aren't out too much.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
John

Will this help you??

jack

American Campground Memberships | Membership Camping RV Park Resort

John I just read a portion of the contract and it appear to be one that you always have to pay for unless YOU sell it to someone else. Can't just stop using it if you no longer need it. Probably like the old Thousand Trails contract. They must have something to do with this company since you can use it at Thousand Trails Parks. BE CAREFUL.

jack
Old 07-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by srydve View Post
Passport America is quite popular, there are some restrictions, but for only $50 a year and half priced camping it doesn't take long to pay for itself. If it turns out you don't like it you aren't out too much.
agreed:
but read their rules for when you can camp in their campgrounds; you can't camp there always when you may want to; I think it's still a pretty good deal if you travel a lot and can adjust to their rules.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #7

Another issue is that this seems to be an "Affiliate" program. In the Q&A on their site, it says:

"Membership Affiliations are a network of RV Resorts that have been approved to participate and provide use privileges to their members."

"By joining one of any of the 400 affiliated resorts, you may camp at any of the these resorts for $10 per night."

"The initial membership fee is determined by the member's Home Resort."

Looks like you have to join (and doubtless pay more than a few bucks) a campground to establish a "Home Park" that is an affiliate of American Campgrounds. Then you can join them.

Just my take...

Steve
Old 07-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
hey Jack, how aren you? we are just trying to get this new place fixed up. will be getting my new shop up soon. more work. gee, i am supposed to be retired. lol. oh the wonders of home ownership.

yeah, i don't know much more about this thing. will be getting more info soon. hopein g someone here has done it and see what they have to say. aanyways, thanks all for your input.

Outlaw
Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like another Encore offering.

I belong to Thousand Trails, Now I paid a bit more for the membership and dues are like Thirty something a month.. but I get 2 weeks in system (Followed by a week out) for that thirty something.

Works out to less than 2.00/night in the winter, and less than 3.00/night summer.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'm pretty sure that American is simply a sale agent for membership parks. The "affiliations" they are describing are either RPI or Coast to Coast. If you read the Q&A, it mentions both RPI & C2C and the rest of the description sounds just like their rules. RPI is owned by ELS, the parent of Thousand Trails and Encore Resorts, while C2C is owned by Affinity Group (Camping World and such).

In any case, you do have to join some membership resort and then buy into the affiliation scheme as well. I think that is what the OP's $595 was for.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Note that where as at one time Coast to Cost (Which by the way is Affinity Group, not Encore Lifestyles/Equiant) had a rule that membership parks were memberhisp parks, not open to the public.

Thousand Trails parks,,, Most of them anyway, ARE open to the public, Generally a bit cheaper than KOA's in the same market.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

You are absolutely right about C2C parent company. Guess I had a senior moment!

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote