Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
I thought "Amish Built" was Newmar's claim, prior to the big dump in '08.

Fred
Hi Fred,

Please describe " big dump in '08" Are you talking about the financial meltdown that led to a lot of MH MFG bankruptcies?? Fleetwood, Country Coach, National RV ( and subs) Monaco, Travel Supreme ( not Newmar, not Jayco, not Winnebago) So funny, the Amish in Indiana are so better off than the union folks in Detroit, run your Dolphin over to Elkhart county, you will see " help wanted" signs everywhere.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #16

No, it is bashing every salesman I run across claiming their RV is Amish built. It has nothing to do with the Amish themselves, but the false claims of the salesmen, companies, and their advertising.
At best it is a false assertion, or claim of quality.
I have relatives that work up there in various factories, and they are not Amish.They are just Kentucky men from Appalachia who went north to find work.
My bet is the management are not Amish, as I doubt you'll see a Amish guy setting in front of a computer doing CAD Cam engineering work.
You might see a Mennonite, but not an old Amish guy with a beard, and no electricity.
Just because a company employees some Amish guys does not make it Amish built anymore than it makes it Jewish Built, African American Built, Muslim Built, Baptist Built, Holy Roller Built, or Methodist Built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I'm not sure if there is something specific going on here - or this is general Amish bashing. We have guessed that you're referring to Jayco, Newmar, The Cooling Unit manufactured by Pines, Dave's house, handmade furniture,or the FROG Jelly we bought the last time we were in an Amish store. Can you clarify your complaint?
The jelly was great BTW
Attachment 55715

Old 02-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^ have ya tried the jam?

Ok - I guess being out of the market and not dealing with many salesmen - I have not experienced what you're referring to - and Still don't know who pushes this as a sales talking point. I guess everyone.

I guess the one thing ya can be sure of is if it's Amish built / made - is it's made in America. Which brings us to the distinction between manufactured, built, assembled, constructed, made, etc.

Sorry ya have to put up with so much at your job. Sounds like it could drive a man to vilify an entire industry and group of people.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
F-R-O-G Jam

But did they use real frogs?

Did it come in 'smooth' and 'crunchy' like peanut butter?
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
But did they use real frogs? Did it come in 'smooth' and 'crunchy' like peanut butter?
Dave, Carol, it is Fig, Raspberry, Orange, Ginger (FROG).
If was going to PA before the GC, I would bring some there!

And it is Amish and grand stuff!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol
But did they use real frogs?

Did it come in 'smooth' and 'crunchy' like peanut butter?
No frogs were harmed in the Amish production of this fine Fig Raspberry Orange and Ginger Jam. Although various toasted and untoasted breads were destroyed during consumption.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
relax jeeery!!! If you don't like the product or the salesmen, hire a couple amish guys to build you a coach
Old 02-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
I just wish more Americans had the community values and work ethic of the Amish.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
Hi Fred,

Please describe " big dump in '08" Are you talking about the financial meltdown that led to a lot of MH MFG bankruptcies?? Fleetwood, Country Coach, National RV ( and subs) Monaco, Travel Supreme ( not Newmar, not Jayco, not Winnebago) So funny, the Amish in Indiana are so better off than the union folks in Detroit, run your Dolphin over to Elkhart county, you will see " help wanted" signs everywhere.
Yes, I was referring to the financial crisis, my understanding is that when the RV manufacturers had to let employees go, the Amish returned to their traditional lifestyles and didn't return to the RV industry.

No need to worry about traveling to IN, I was born there and not going back.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Being somewhat of a quality person in a previous life, I guess I'd offer the following:
- It doesn't make any difference who builds it. If the dollars allocated for plywood, veneer and staples, whether Jayco or anyone else, then that's what you're going to get. If the time and dollars are allocated for solid wood cabinets, like you see in the Newmar and Entegra coaches, then that's what you're going to get. And Jayco/Entegra is Amish owned. But back to craftsmanship. The Amish are known for quality craftsmanship in their work; supposedly a cultural thing.
- Quality is both a management and an individual worker thing. If quality control at all levels is emphasized, then you'll find quality in the product. But there is a cost to quality and it usually amounts to about an extra 10% in a product. You saw it with kaizan in cars coming out of Japan in the 70-80s, and if you remember, Hondas were pretty expensive for what they were. people also paid a premium then and, IMHO, continue to pay it today.
- If quality control is emphasized, and if quality OEM and wood products are factored into the cost of a trailer, 5ver, or coach, then you'll see the difference...but don't expect $500K quality in a $20K trailer...that seems kinda silly.
- And don't confuse quality with quality control...two different animals.

JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
JerryP: My bet is the management are not Amish, as I doubt you'll see a Amish guy setting in front of a computer doing CAD Cam engineering work.
You might see a Mennonite, but not an old Amish guy with a beard, and no electricity.
Just because a company employees some Amish guys does not make it Amish built anymore than it makes it Jewish Built, African American Built, Muslim Built, Baptist Built, Holy Roller Built, or Methodist Built.
Hey Jerry,
I hate to burst your bubble... but check out the link to Newmar...

The Newmar Mission & Guiding Principles | Newmar

And note the presidents beard... Or talk to anyone that's visited the Newmar factory when the employees show up at 6 AM on their bicycles and horse drawn buggies...
Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mrusa I coulndt agree more!

I don't have any statistics as to how many amish people work for which MOHO companies but I would bet there are at least a few. That being said, i would also surmise that they might have a great work ethic and possibly take great pride in their work. Now, lets switch over to the subject of grape juice. On your next trip down the grocery aisle, pick up a few different bottles of grape juice and read the label. Some have less than x% of grape juice and use many other types of juice and flavors to come up with a product they still call grape. Based on the federal labeling guidelines of fruit juice I would argue that whatever the percentage of amish labor that goes into a coach, it can still be called amish built.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Mrusa I coulndt agree more!

I don't have any statistics as to how many amish people work for which MOHO companies but I would bet there are at least a few. That being said, i would also surmise that they might have a great work ethic and possibly take great pride in their work. Now, lets switch over to the subject of grape juice. On your next trip down the grocery aisle, pick up a few different bottles of grape juice and read the label. Some have less than x% of grape juice and use many other types of juice and flavors to come up with a product they still call grape. Based on the federal labeling guidelines of fruit juice I would argue that whatever the percentage of amish labor that goes into a coach, it can still be called amish built.
This is going to be fun...
Old 02-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I love new mars mission statement! It will definitely sway me to look at their product. I knew about Entegra and that is the direction I am going due to their quality.