Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #43

Mid Atlantic Campers
The Amish have good and not so good carpenters just like the general public. They do excel with a strong work ethic and consistency. We had several pole barns built by a crew out of Lancaster however I would not call them finish carpenters. The funny thing was the crew leader owned 2 Super Duty Fords but could not drive them because of the church. He hired two illegal aliens for that job!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve
....... We had several pole barns built by a crew out of Lancaster however I would not call them finish carpenters. The funny thing was the crew leader owned 2 Super Duty Fords but could not drive them because of the church. He hired two illegal aliens for that job!
We're the alien truck drivers Finish drivers?

flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Salesmen tend to over use the term "Amish Built", but I owned a Travel Supreme for 10 years, an "Amish Built" coach that was so outstanding I just ordered another one. Same coach, same people, but now being built by Jayco under the name of Entegra with the same Amish quality. Take the factory tour and you can really appreciate "Amish Built" quality.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #46

I've been told that the Amish do not pay into or receive Social Security. That would be a 7.5% cost advantage for their employer. Maybe the salesman would be willing to give us an additional 7.5% off the already low cost of one of those "Amish" built coaches.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
Old 02-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #47
rtz

Some of these RV's are built like they are in a race or on a game show. I've never built an RV before; but I know I could keep up slopping it together without a care in the world like these guys! Why do they work at a million miles per hour?

Jayco - Building A Jayco Travel Trailer In 7 Hours - YouTube
Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana journey View Post
I've been told that the Amish do not pay into or receive Social Security.

I was curious and researched that, it appears you are correct, they are also exempt from Obamacare . So perhaps there are employer benefits other than skills and ethics.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:42 PM   #49

Great video, but sort of scary...
So basically it is a lite weight yard shed on a trailer frame built with 2x2 instead of 2x4.
Now I imagine the wood rot from a unaddressed leaking roof
Makes Living lite trailers look even better

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtz View Post
Some of these RV's are built like they are in a race or on a game show. I've never built an RV before; but I know I could keep up slopping it together without a care in the world like these guys! Why do they work at a million miles per hour?

Jayco - Building A Jayco Travel Trailer In 7 Hours - YouTube
Old 02-11-2014, 06:07 AM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
I am just thankful my salesman didn't tell me my new MH was "Chinese Built."
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Have you seen how quick a car or a TV is built on an assembly line? Do you understand "just in time" delivery of component parts directly into the production line? Optimization in manufacturing? And how much is that trailer...$12K?

50 years ago, my folks had a component built house built. The walls up to the dry wall, ceiling joists, everything was shipped in on a semi-trailer and bolted together on a cement pad. The house was "built in three days" and still stands today. You watch the volunteer houses built in a couple of days with Habitat for Humanity. fast doesn't equate to poorly built. Quality of component inputs is a major factor in quality of the final product.

I doubt Jayco, a well-respected builder, put that video out because they are embarrassed by their build techniques. JMHO, but our country has been built of the craftsmanship of factory workers on assembly lines, and I think some of these comments made suggest a little more circumspection might be appropriate.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I am just thankful my salesman didn't tell me my new MH was "Chinese Built."
There was actually an article I read about that how it would be difficult for Chinese manufacturing lines to adapt to the way we build units here. Lots of changes happen from floorplan to floorplan and even then, it's not the same plan from one trailer to another.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:44 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Location: We fulltime, so "Home is where we park it!" (Originally Las Vegas)
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
I think the longer the same model is built with the same people, the better they get at it!

'06 Newmar Dutchstar 4320 400hp Cummins on a Spartan tag-axle chassis w/ 2014 CRV
CWinLV is offline   Reply With Quote