Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #15

Where I have noticed it the most is our two nearby state parks (38 miles away each) we like to use for week long stays while still commuting to and from work every day. Used to be able to drive in, pick out our favorite site and stay as we wished. Now, I have to book in January or I won't get a site. However, living near Buffalo, NY we are just across the Niagara River from Canada and I swear 3/4 of the either park is filled with Canadians, and I think there are more RV'ers amongst them. This year will be interesting because the U.S. dollar is now up by about $.25 on the dollar though our gas is now near half of Canada's.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #16
Commercial Member

its great to see people enjoy the outdoors. i travel 25 to 35 thousand a year in my motor home because of work, and i enjoy every minute of it. some minutes more
than others.
the campgrounds will keep up with the demand. new ones are opening every year. the price of a campsite is going up because of the demand.
its about time the economy started recovering for the middle class too.
i can live with the increase as long as its not too high. i rely on passport a lot.
there are a lot of creative ways to find an overnight spot.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Canada experienced one of the worst winters on record last winter. This winter saw one of the largest exoduses of snowbirds from Canada to avoid the possibility of having to experience another dreadful Canadian winter.

I'm sure this added to the current congested condition.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:49 PM   #18

An issue we've seen increase in the last few years is the amount of either "Full timers" or, what we call "Live-ins", in many parks and campgrounds across much of the western U.S. So many times when we're traveling, we pull into a campground or, an RV park and see folks that have literally TONS OF STUFF, hanging all over the coach/trailer/Fifth wheel etc., tons of stuff tucked underneath, sometimes dog pens, and much, much more.

It seems that many, many campgrounds/RV parks are now accepting more and more "live-ins" which, extremely limits the amount of available spaces for overnighters/few dayers/weekers etc. WE almost never do reservations as we mainly free-flight it all over the place and end up when and where we end up. We've not been turned away too many times but, you sure see most camp grounds etc. with almost full situations more than it used to be.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When the economy went south, many folks either put off buying a new rig or those thinking about getting into the hobby waited for better times. It created a pent up demand. Now that things are a little better, many people are diving in head first. The rv business is better than before the recession.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Can't speak for others, I make reservations ahead of time, never had a problem.
Fred
Fred
We have been traveling in the south and southwest from Nov - April for 14 of the last 15 years.
We "fly by the seat of our pants"...(seldom making advanced plans and/or reservations).

Only ONCE in those 14 winters did we fail to find a campsite when we wanted/needed one.
That one time was at Potters Creek COE park at Canyon Lake in Texas and we were allowed to dry camp overnight outside the gate, (at no charge), until the next morning, (when a site was vacated).

Mel
96' Safari, 140k miles, (heading home to WI)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #21

We fly mostly by the seat of our pants as well. What we've noticed is that if you are going to have problems doing that, it's going to be in more heavily populated areas of the country on a Friday or Saturday evening. The other situation that may bite you is along major freeway corridors during popular travel times (especially for Fri. and Sat. evening!). During color change may be a good example of that, as well as snow bird migration, Christmas, and spring break rushes.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Only place I've ever had a problem finding a place to stay was South Florida in the winter. Usually can find something though
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #23

To answer your question; no I do not think RV parks are keeping up with demand. Many closed during the depression/recession and probably will not reopen due to start-up costs. Especially in Florida, many RV parks are being bought out by corporations building condos, apts., etc. because land availability and land values have reached the point RV parks owners cannot charge the money required to ward-off developers in their zeal to acquire land for projects.
One instance I remember happened on Florida East coast. A developer offered each lot owner in the RV park $1,000,000-if everyone in the park accepted his offer, which of course they did. Now how can any RV park owner ignore that?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Speaking for North of the Border on the West Coast, I would say that parks and spaces haven't kept up with the demand.

There are a couple of reasons for this.

1. many of the parks up here are of the older variety. They were initially campgrounds that have tried to make accommodation for the increasing amount of RV's. The result, a few "RV spaces" which in no way really is able to handle the explosion of trailers, camper vans and class C's. I attempted to "book" a space in one of our provincial parks for this easter weekend. Good luck. All the suitable spaces were gone within "minutes" of the season opening of the reservation system. I ended up going south to Wash. St. where I was able to book a spot and many of the State Parks I visited during the days I was exploring had plenty of room. I can find space in a foreign country easier than I can my own back yard.

2. this is still relatively speaking a fairly inexpensive way to holiday. With money tight, this is very attractive for some.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #25

We always boon docking so no reservation needed
cees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:53 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
The ONLY times I will make reservations at a specific RV Park is when we plan to stay in that location for a long time.

If I want to stay a night or two to rest up from driving every day, do laundry and check email I never make a reservation. If they are full and don't want my business I move on. If there is none to be found I pick a FREE spot and settle in for the night.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:58 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have always been fly by the seat of our pants types but it almost bit us this winter. We have spent time in Florida other winters but came close to turning around and heading home. We eventually stayed in two parks and heard time and time again about how busy everyone was. Harsh winter, decent exchange rate in 2014, cheap fuel? Who knows but we would have saved a lot by booking in advance. It is scary though to commit to two months sight unseen. In our area in Ontario campgrounds are not keeping up. I can't recall the last time I saw a new campground open or an existing one expand. Far too many expensive regulations and insurance requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also think the American Dream of own stick and bricks is changing. More people are realizing that what makes them happy isn't having more "stuff", but enjoying life while they still can.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote