RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #1

An interesting experiment, not for the squeamish.

I'm not sure where this question belongs so moderators feel free to move it.

With all the black tank additives on the market, some of which make incredible claims about the miracles they will accomplish I was wondering if anyone has ever done an experiment by taking five or six small glass jars with lids, putting some water in them, a small amount of toilet paper, and shall we say, what would normally be found in a Black water tank, a pinch of each of the commonly used additives in each jar, put a top on the jar, punch a small hole in the top, and see what it looks like after a week.

I think that would be an interesting, informative, and possibly money-saving experiment. Now I imagine some folks are saying, "you thought it up, why don't you do it". And maybe one day I will but I'm a full-timer and right now I'm moving too often, and the fact that the jar lids have a hole in them kind of concerns me. And anyway maybe somebody already did it and I would be interested in the results.

theboondork

theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #2

Well I didn’t take it that far, but in a quest to determine if RV TP was necessary I put one square of RV TP in a full Dasani bottle with a half a teaspoon of happy campers, then the same thing with one square of Charmin ultra strong. Let them both sit overnight. The results were identical, the TP was more or less dissolved. Conclusion, I don’t by cheap overpriced RV TP.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #3

Results probably posted a dozen times across the forums.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple H View Post
I don’t by cheap overpriced RV TP.

So, what is it. Cheap or Overpriced
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #5

If TP says septic safe, then they all do,that if safe. Don't need RV type.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #6

Wow! I'm impressed already, Happy Camper actually dissolved toilet paper in one day? I think that alone is pretty impressive.

The reason I even brought this up is in the summer I park my Arctic Fox in my daughter's driveway and spend a large part of the summer there, there's no hookups so I take my Arctic Fox to a nearby state Park and dump the tanks about once a month or so, and I was looking for an additive that would actually dissolve things over time so my black water tank didn't get plugged up. I make sure there's plenty of liquid and it, and it hasn't give me any problems so far, but an additive that would really work would help a lot. Thanks for that info Triple H.

theboondork.com
Old 10-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #7

There is some guy on YouTube that made a plexiglass fake black tank and apparently is doing all sorts of tests. I haven't been watching the videos I just see them in the sidebar.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #8

I looked at his videos and he's not testing any black tank additives, he tested the ice cube thing to clean out the tank, and a tank flusher to see if it was effective. But I didn't see anything about additives.

theboondork.com
Old 10-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

A septic safe TP should dissolve in a couple of hours in any water. No Happy Camper (or whatever) needed.

TP that is embossed or colored or perfumed necessitates a stronger grade of paper, so usually slower/harder to dissolve. Best to avoid those types if you are having clog problems.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:07 PM   #10

Pretty much any TP will dissolve adequately in water overnight. Sure, you can add special chemicals to it, but those chemicals will be too diluted to do you any good in the 30 gallons of what goes down there. There are some exceptions that can do wonders for dissolving TP in extremely low concentrations, but they'll also dissolve your black tank's plastic, so you don't want to use them. It's probably not worth turning your black tank into Swiss cheese just to dissolve a little TP a few hours faster.

Use the additive that makes your black tank stink the least. None of them are going to help dissolve TP in any significant manner when compared to water.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:46 PM   #11

I try to make sure I drive and "slosh" the tank a little before dumping.
Might sound dumb but it makes me feel like I'm helping dissolve any solids.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #12

We buy the 1000 sheet single ply rolls, which we double or triple to use but it dissolves by the time we need to dump. The key to dissolving any TP is water, water, water. Make sure you fill the bowl and flush it a few times to get adequate water to dissolve everything. Just don't flush anything other than TP - no wipes, etc.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:31 PM   #13

This isn't a thread about dissolving TP: it's a thread about dissolving the other stuff in a black tank.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #14

Thank you for pointing that out tfryman. It's mostly my fault for not writing clearly enough that I was interested in the toilet paper dissolving and the "other stuff" dissolving. When I'm sitting still for a long time without hookups it's really the "other stuff" that concerns me the most. I use plenty of water but since the Arctic Fox might not move for a month or more I was really hoping someone might have proof that the high tech tank additives actually do "liquefy solid waste" like the advertising says.

theboondork.com