RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #15

WHOA! I just accidentally turned on the hot instead of cold in the bathroom sink and it work at nearly full force. But I could hear what sounded like a foreign object bouncing around under the sink. It's got to be a foreign object in the line right around where it goes up through the floor to the sink. If only there was an easy way to access that stuff...

Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
WHOA! I just accidentally turned on the hot instead of cold in the bathroom sink and it work at nearly full force. But I could hear what sounded like a foreign object bouncing around under the sink. It's got to be a foreign object in the line right around where it goes up through the floor to the sink. If only there was an easy way to access that stuff...
Interesting! What you observed is consistent with something dislodging from the water heater and, first, getting stuck at the T and obstructing flow. Now, at least, you have flow and the object seems to be in the proximity of the bathroom sink.

Keep us posted, please.

Edit: Question for the brain trust. Do these RV continuous hot water heaters need yearly descaling/flushing like a household unit, and can scale build up enough to develop a chunk that could clog a PEX fitting?

Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At least you can get to the PEX under the sink and open it up to clear the problem. I added standard facet cutoff valves under my sinks.

Making progress.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Pull the hot side off the faucet and run it into a bucket. should push out whatever is bouncing around. If not you may have to cut the Pex near the floor and re-connect after flushing it out.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:32 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you don't have PEX crimpers, a SharkBite 1/2" coupler will work well on PEX (it is rated for it) and makes a repair quick and simple, just get a good clean cut. IMO- best done with a PEX cutter, a sharp utility knife might do an OK job.

If you can try to post a picture of this object when you get it out. We'd all like to see it and learn a little more.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:06 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
X2 on the pex pipe cutter....unless the end is cut square and burr free, it will leak.

Not fun to re-do the job.
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #21

Update for those that are curious!

I was not able to actually get the object to flow backwards and flush out of the line. It seems to have managed to lodge itself pretty tightly. Instead, I ended up splicing into the main hot water line and running from the discharge of the water heater straight to the low point drain. That establishes a second path of water flow that bypasses the foreign object. Yes, I put a few shut off valves in it just in case. It's currently just running under the trailer up against the frame and isn't insulated yet.

Preliminary tests show it working perfectly again. Nice full flow in the shower and all other hot water sources. It's not the perfect solution, but it's a solution so I'm putting it in the "win" category.

Thanks again for all of your advice and suggestions.

Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water