Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #1

An unusual Class C

Driving home from Safeway this afternoon, I saw a very unusual Class C that I assume had come off the San Juan or Victoria ferry.

On the back wall, there was a Winnebago logo, but there were no manufacturer logos on the side I saw.

The unusual thing was that, though it was a Class C, it was at least 32' long. Unlike most "Cs" the cab was that of an F350 pick-up (with badges to prove it) rather than an E-series van, and the chassis was a much longer wheel base than any of the vans. It also had dual rear wheels.

Maybe someone custom built a Class C rig on the F53 chassis, with a pick-up cab. If the owner reads this, I'd sure be interested in the rig's history.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Too bad you were not able to get a photo of it. I think it could have been a custom order. Maybe that's why you only saw the Winnebego logo on the back

Old 09-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I actully prefer a truck chassis for doing any kind of mechanical maintainence. Much easier getting to things under the hood.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #4

Here is 1 type I know of not a winnie but still pretty neat.
http://www.xplorermotorhome.com/xcursion_ford22.html
Old 09-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #5

Just a newer version of my old scamper...and yes they r a dream to work on compared to the other style MH's...
Old 09-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #6

And another in 4 wheel drive.
http://www.tigermotorhomes.com/overview.htm
Old 09-06-2011, 02:14 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
try one of these
GXV Overland Vehicle Model Lineup | Global Expedition Vehicles

Xplorer Motor Homes - Home

Can't afford one but would love to try a couple of them
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:01 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Driving home from Safeway this afternoon, I saw a very unusual Class C that I assume had come off the San Juan or Victoria ferry.

On the back wall, there was a Winnebago logo, but there were no manufacturer logos on the side I saw.

The unusual thing was that, though it was a Class C, it was at least 32' long. Unlike most "Cs" the cab was that of an F350 pick-up (with badges to prove it) rather than an E-series van, and the chassis was a much longer wheel base than any of the vans. It also had dual rear wheels.

Maybe someone custom built a Class C rig on the F53 chassis, with a pick-up cab. If the owner reads this, I'd sure be interested in the rig's history.
My Diplomat is built on a Chev 1 ton chassis and it has rear dual wheels and is only 24 feet long. My son is a mechanic and he has worked on 'Tinker' and he says that the frame under the unit is not from Chevrolet at all and has been really beefed up by the builder.