Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #1

And everything's destroyed

It's been a while since I've posted on here, but I love the help and feedback when I need it! We recently were leaving Rhode Island after being there for 5 years and I had told DH we needed new tires before the trip. Of course he said "I'm not wasting money theses have only been driven on once" All true, but they had been sitting in one place for 2.5 years. I repeated my sentiment, oh about 50 times, but finally just said whatever you know everything (like husbands do right? ) Well we pull out and I radio to my husband that the back right tire look wobbly. He stops, checks it, says it's just from where it's been sitting, it's fine. Well I hate to always be right but less than 5 miles later back right tire blew. Well this was 2 days before Thanksgiving, we wanted to get home to family, and my husband had to be at a job right after which was close to our family. So we left our 5th Wheel, and our Truck there thinking it would be done in about 2-3 weeks and we would fly back and grab it.

Fast forward to FIVE MONTHS LATER and the damn thing was just completed this past weekend. They took it to a body shop to be painted and blew the right front tire. How they didn't know that tire was bad I will never know, it was literally brought to them with metal pressing into it. But even before that they just kept giving excuse after excuse on why it was taking months and months to fix a blowout. SOOOO we JUST got it back yesterday. As full timers, everything we owned was in there, it is ALL ruined. Everything inside. Mice ran ramped and destroyed the fridge (ate the frigging seal ) the brand new mattress is ruined after 5 months of mice procreating like bunnies and having sleepovers on it. All of my photography props for my business are ruined and chewed through. Our entire wardrobes including the thousands of dollars of work pants for my husband chewed.

So is this really on us? For not buying a thousand dollar plane ticket every month to check on it. I naively thought it being in their care meant it was safe. I expected dust, dirt, even a few mice. Not this. I'm so upset

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Expensive lesson!

Since my coach is my home I stay with it or in it while it is being repaired.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 04-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph1217 View Post
It's been a while since I've posted on here, but I love the help and feedback when I need it! We recently were leaving Rhode Island after being there for 5 years and I had told DH we needed new tires before the trip. Of course he said "I'm not wasting money theses have only been driven on once" All true, but they had been sitting in one place for 2.5 years. I repeated my sentiment, oh about 50 times, but finally just said whatever you know everything (like husbands do right? ) Well we pull out and I radio to my husband that the back right tire look wobbly. He stops, checks it, says it's just from where it's been sitting, it's fine. Well I hate to always be right but less than 5 miles later back right tire blew. Well this was 2 days before Thanksgiving, we wanted to get home to family, and my husband had to be at a job right after which was close to our family. So we left our 5th Wheel, and our Truck there thinking it would be done in about 2-3 weeks and we would fly back and grab it.

Fast forward to FIVE MONTHS LATER and the damn thing was just completed this past weekend. They took it to a body shop to be painted and blew the right front tire. How they didn't know that tire was bad I will never know, it was literally brought to them with metal pressing into it. But even before that they just kept giving excuse after excuse on why it was taking months and months to fix a blowout. SOOOO we JUST got it back yesterday. As full timers, everything we owned was in there, it is ALL ruined. Everything inside. Mice ran ramped and destroyed the fridge (ate the frigging seal ) the brand new mattress is ruined after 5 months of mice procreating like bunnies and having sleepovers on it. All of my photography props for my business are ruined and chewed through. Our entire wardrobes including the thousands of dollars of work pants for my husband chewed.

So is this really on us? For not buying a thousand dollar plane ticket every month to check on it. I naively thought it being in their care meant it was safe. I expected dust, dirt, even a few mice. Not this. I'm so upset
steph1217
Methinks it's all on you.
Sorry.

However a call to your insurance company, (assuming the coach and the truck are insured?) couldn't hurt.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #4

First thing I do before leaving my rig anywhere for work to be done is remove anything of value, minus the TVs. The "techs" I see at some shops can be a bit sketchy.

As far as mice and 5 months..... wow. I would not have been as content as you and allowed a 3 week job to turn into 5 months. Guessing you were "out of site, out of mind" to them. And your rig was "out of site, out of mind" to you and the DH. That said, and given the valuables inside, I believe you could've/should've been a lot more diligent. No disrespect intended.

Your DH owns 99.9% of this for not using common sense with the tires in the first place. Seems all would have been avoided if the signs the tires showed were heeded.

"brought to them with metal pressing into it"

Did he think the shop would swap the tires just to be safe??????
Old 04-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've never had to winterize and store a coach since I live in California, but I often see these threads where people leave their coaches at a repair shop for three, four or five months and don't complain. I'm guessing in many of these situations, the owners are happy or maybe even saving money, by leaving the coach and not complaining about the time frame to avoid storage and winterizing.

I think you might still have an insurance claim with your insurance, but certainly don't have any complaints with the repair facility. I would never leave my coach anywhere without a time frame for repair and constant follow up. You said maybe you should have flown down there for a $1000.00 a pop, but phone calls and emails with photos of the progress are free.

I'm guessing you had your own reasons for leaving it there, but now are astounded at the damage because you didn't care. I think it's an expensive lesson that can only be attributed to you.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #6

I really have nothing to add because you have already received the answers to your questions. Especially the part of the 99.9% being on your hubby's shoulders.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
First thing I do before leaving my rig anywhere for work to be done is remove anything of value, minus the TVs. The "techs" I see at some shops can be a bit sketchy.

As far as mice and 5 months..... wow. I would not have been as content as you and allowed a 3 week job to turn into 5 months. Guessing you were "out of site, out of mind" to them. And your rig was "out of site, out of mind" to you and the DH. That said, and given the valuables inside, I believe you could've/should've been a lot more diligent. No disrespect intended.

Your DH owns 99.9% of this for not using common sense with the tires in the first place. Seems all would have been avoided if the signs the tires showed were heeded.

"brought to them with metal pressing into it"

Did he think the shop would swap the tires just to be safe??????
I know, but being thousands of miles away with the insurance blaming the shop, the shop blaming the adjuster, they just didn't care. We are not typical full timers. We take it to jobs and there's no staying for 3 weeks without pay unless you want to be fired! The whole insulation and metal underneath was hanging down along with slide out wires. As far as the second tire we had explained to them several times we wanted all new tires before leaving and they were ordering them. They knew we weren't driving it without them, yet they did so without talking to us, hence the second tire blow out! But I get what everyone means. DH was so scared of another blowout he bought all new top line tires for our dodge 3500 dual wheel truck. I guess I should be grateful insurance hauled it to the place and paid for 2 tires, rims and all the outside damage. I just wish I didn't spend every other day for 5 months on the phone with one party or the other. Finally we had to pull the "I have a plane ticket for Monday and I'm getting it even if it's not done" (we have another job we leave for in couple of days) they argued with us, but in the end they finished it.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I've never had to winterize and store a coach since I live in California, but I often see these threads where people leave their coaches at a repair shop for three, four or five months and don't complain. I'm guessing in many of these situations, the owners are happy or maybe even saving money, by leaving the coach and not complaining about the time frame to avoid storage and winterizing.

I think you might still have an insurance claim with your insurance, but certainly don't have any complaints with the repair facility. I would never leave my coach anywhere without a time frame for repair and constant follow up. You said maybe you should have flown down there for a $1000.00 a pop, but phone calls and emails with photos of the progress are free.

I'm guessing you had your own reasons for leaving it there, but now are astounded at the damage because you didn't care. I think it's an expensive lesson that can only be attributed to you.
Oh there were plenty of pictures. Phone calls at least 3 a week. There was always an excuse, and we were lied to on several occasions. We were given a time frame of three weeks and we had already winterized the coach. All of that is easy peasy, even the storage. But a repair shop disregarding you, avoiding your calls, your pictures etc. Is unacceptable!
Old 04-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #9

I'm just wondering what kind of a service center wouldn't notice that something was destroying the inside of your MH. I always nudge when my MH is in the shop. This is a set of circumstances that should never have happened. As upsetting as is is you really should have either taken things of value off and ask that your MH be checked if it were going to be in for a while.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #10

So sorry for your issues. As full-timers we've never waited for repairs. We always told them it was our home and they got right on it.

We would have disregarded the family get-together and stayed with the RV. If they couldn't give you a definite date of finishing, we'd have it towed to a more reputable company nearby. If hubby had to get to work, you could have stayed there to pressure for the repairs being done quickly. Did you have full-timers insurance on your contents? What did you do about clothes for the 5 months you were gone?

As for the inside mice damage, if it was a 5th wheel would they have any reason to go inside it if doing the repair work on the tire damage outside? They might not have known about the inside. Mice can get in easily in RVs.

I'm definitely not saying the repair facility was right in any way but I don't think they're liable for your inside damage.

I'm sure you're furious and hope you can put it behind you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
So sorry for your misfortune!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #12

While I'm not sure this will help.... If you in fact have email documentation... I would strongly advise you contact two parties..

First... I would contact the Attorney Generals office of the state your RV is in... If you have documented fraud... That would be the place to start..

Second... I would contact the Insurance Commissioner of that state too.. Again, if you have documentation between you, the adjuster and the shop... I would turn them on to the case as well..

I don't know if this will help.. but it's been my experience, businesses DO NOT like getting calls from the Attorney Generals (Consumer Protection Div.) Office and Insurance Companies DO NOT like getting calls from the Insurance Commissioner and definitely don't like them sniffing around their SOP (standard operating procedures)..

Good Luck !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a bad lesson to learn, and costly.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #14

i feel you pain... this bodyshop is the problem... to prevent fellow rvers from getting the same tragedy, after you are settled, could you enter a record at RV Service Reviews? they do not deserve our business.