Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
12vdc usually can get wet.. let the part dry out a day or two and recheck..

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
You are not the first , nor the last to do this I suspect. You might try removing the board and drying with a hair dryer. Then let it air dry under a fan for a few days. It has worked for me in the past. Good luck..

95 Newmar Kountry Star, Spartan Chassis, Venice, Fla
C-PHartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
You are not the first , nor the last to do this I suspect. You might try removing the board and drying with a hair dryer. Then let it air dry under a fan for a few days. It has worked for me in the past. Good luck..
And putting a wet cell phone in a baggie of white rice has worked for me.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I just tried bypassing the black box and the fridge cut in so obviously it is the box that is the issue.

76 degrees out and I had to turn the furnace on to dry it out. We'll see what happens.
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #19
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
12vdc usually can get wet.. let the part dry out a day or two and recheck..
I've used a hair dryer when mine got wet from blowing rain; just watch the heat, (doesn;t get to hot) worked for me.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #20
I know this is going to sound strange -and I have not tried it myself - but I have read several different threads on another forum where you can take a magnet and run it on the limit switch by the led light. If you hear a click, then the switch should work.

I have no idea if it works and of course I never saw these threads until AFTER I had my Norcold repaired.

Try it, what could it hurt?

Here is one of those threads which took place yesterday. Apparently the magnet trick worked for the OP.
Samantha and Larry
Furkids-Duchess and Sweetie
Clouds and Oceans
SouthernNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #21
Does anybody know where I can purchase the Norcold 634677 Temp Sensor without having to take the RV in and pay for a service call?
nondropframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
Here is another company that sells a controller

Purchase | Dometic Control | Norcold Control | RV Fridge Safe

This has positive reviews although I have not installed.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #23
Fleetwood Owners Club
Takes a rather strong magnet, but the black box can be reset.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #24
I agree, try the KISS principle first. Get a magnet, hold it to/swipe the edge of the black box until the red light goes out/resets. Then if that doesn't work you can spend money on a new black box.
OTOH, if something other than the recall black box is the cause, try this Norcold reset pdf from bryant RV.
Here is another pdf for resetting the power board.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #25
Dogpatch sounds like he isn't having a good day1
Someone suggested he use a hair dryer to dry out his control box. I wouldn't have taken the risk and suggested this to the poor fellow.
These dryers get hot. Heat causes fires and with Dogpatch's luck his luck might turn even worse.
( I've got a sense of humor too)
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #26
Monaco Owners Club
Actually, I've been through this very same deal a couple of months ago. However, mine was caused by a pinhole leak in the water line to my ice maker that sprayed the Norcold recall module.

First, IF you are SURE that no overheat condition existed AND you NEED to have the refrigerator operating, you can simply jump the recall module by removing the 12v in and the 12v out wires from the module and inserting a jumper wire between those two wires. That process completely bypasses the overheat protection provided by the recall module.

It is POSSIBLE that the water on the module has caused it to trip, even though no overheat condition existed. The module, after it's dried out, MAY still be working. In that case, using a strong magnet placed on the module near the red light MAY reset the module.

It is POSSIBLE that the water has damaged the module in a way that it needs to be replaced. If that's the case, you'll probably need to have an authorized repair facility do that replacement. They'll be asked by Norcold to certify that the reset procedure (magnet) did NOT work. Norcold will send a replacement module to the repair facility. The good news...this is all covered by the recall.

At least, that's how it worked for me.

I did see a module advertised for sale on ebay.

Good luck.

Take care,
"A superior pilot is one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the demonstration of his superior skills."
777 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:08 PM   #27
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used the strong magnet trick a couple of times after washing. Blue beacon or my self.. Pass magnet somewhat slowly over black box with refer off.
Magnet size about 3/4 x 1 1/2 can be sourced at lowes or any good hardware store. Stronger is better. I keep mine in the refer access compartment ready for next use.. Good luck
08 Diesel Bounder 38V
phranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:35 PM   #28
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
Unfortunately, she saw the replies on her iPad and she is in Toronto visiting her sister. Couldn't delete them before she saw them LOL.

She can always tell when something has happened by the sounds coming from the garage. I have invented many choice words not recognized in the English language a few times over the things that happen. She knows to stay away at a time like that and give me time to let her know what I did.

I love that about her!!!

Just because I'm out in the garage swearing doesn't mean I'm not having a good time.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote