Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-29-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
Anderson Hitch Report

I posted this on rv-forum so sorry Gary, you don't have to read it again.

Wanted to follow-up with an earlier post on the new rig and switching to the Anderson hitch. Moved up from a 2012 Layton Joey M253, 24', 6100lbs dry, to a 2016 Keystone Sprinter 316 MKS, 35'-11" and 8100 dry. What is they say, Bigger is Better....... Anyway, I never did like the typical WD hitch with the arms, grease here and on my clothes, eventually, and the popping and creaking. I have a set of the Anderson levelers and they are fantastic so I was looking at their website and noticed the new hitch. Did some research and read through some reviews and it sounded like what I was looking for. The DW and I have been eyeing a bigger unit for a few months and after the usual several dozen up and down rv steps and getting blurry eyed we kept coming back to the Keystone Sprinter. Did the entire deal by phone and email and now are the proud owners of the Sprinter. Added the hitch and rv ladder and we're off to the campground. I have to make a confession first. I still have my 2010 Hemi Ram 1500 4X4 to end out this years camping and know that I'm at the top limit of it's rating and was a little concerned on how it would handle this monster. I should have known better. It's a Dodge (Ram), it's a Hemi and it surprised me at how it handled the load. Now, would I take off to Arizona with it, of course not. Not that dumb. but for a short 125 mile run to Johnson's Shut-ins with friends and one more in October about 15 miles away it will handle it fine. This is our 6th rig and I'm still impressed at how the truck performed. And yes, it will get a 3/4 ton replacement next spring. Just wanted to comment on how well it did. Just can't get in a hurry and leave plenty of space on the road.
Now on the hitch. This is the easiest to hook-up, adjust and remove of all hitches. Quiet as can be, smooth on turns, bumps and backing and you don't have to detach the bars; as there are none. This is one slick design and it flat works. No more greasy bar ends and hitch ball and fits in half the space. When you back in you raise the tongue up to slack the chains, pull one pin and drop the plate and chains, lower and disconnect at the ball and pull away. Just reverse it when you hook up and it's already set for proper chain tension. I am flat impressed with this hitch. Nice job Anderson.
First impression on the Keystone Sprinter 316 MKS. 3 slides and nice floor plan. Everyone in the camping group loved it. I think a couple were even a little jealous. Other than the usual rv manufacturer scratch your head things they do here and there, (cheap China made sound bar) this is one nice rig. At first we thought we were going to be a little short on storage space, but after doing a gut check on what came out of the other unit we have plenty of space for "necessary" goodies. I have to say we are very happy we went with this one. We've got all the amenities of a 5er without the inside steps to the bed and bathroom. And of course, no big basement storage space, but that makes you pay more attention to what you really need to take with you. Bottom line, If you're not happy with your current hitch or ready to buy your first one go with the Anderson. You'll love it.
Now I have to update my forum info. Happy, safe camping everybody.

Bruce & Sarah, 2016 Keystone Sprinter 319MKS, 2016 Ram 2500HD 6.4L, 1997 Ranger Rebel I/B Jet Bass Boat (not at the same time)
St. Charles, MO.
bttravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Glad to hear the Anderson hitch is working for you. It is a slick design, but we had to replace the one we had for an Equilizer. The dampening cushions (I don't know what they are officially called) kept cracking. They replaced 3 of them before we said "enough!." I would love to know what was really wrong with ours.

BTW, we were using a Tundra v8 at the time with the trailer as shown in my signature.
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240 RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote