Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #43

Freightliner Owners Club
I always think my horn says: "Hello inattentive driver, sorry for interrupting your stupor, but there is a large vehicle occupying the area you are intruding upon. Now would be a excellent time for you to consider a more favorable solution to your dilemma- Have a nice day"
Of course that takes practice...so as not to be misunderstood.

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 05:14 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I always think my horn says: "Hello inattentive driver, sorry for interrupting your stupor, but there is a large vehicle occupying the area you are intruding upon. Now would be a excellent time for you to consider a more favorable solution to your dilemma- Have a nice day"
Of course that takes practice...so as not to be misunderstood.
Lol! That made my day!

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
As a professional school bus driver for over twenty years I'd like to weigh in. All this talk of laws and rights is all well and good, and an endless source of bull sessions among drivers, but the bottom line is safety.

This issue effects not only for you and the fool that won't yield, but all your loved ones riding with you. Also remember the lives of all the innocents traveling the same stretch of highway as the unyielding fool and the self righteous RV driver who knows he's doing what he's "suppose to."

If slowing down to give the hot rodding half wit a way in is the safest option, DO IT! It will mean little to your surviving loved ones that they will be able to chisel into your gravestone "He had the right of way!"

Stay safe, stay alert. Leave legal arguments to the lawyers, and should arguments to the moralists. Focus on coming home safe, the rest means nothing.
There you go.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #46

Oh, and, around here in my area if you rear end someone it's automatically your fault. You are going to end up in court, pay a fine, possibly lose your license, and for sure your insurance is going through the roof.

The first ;court; part might not be too bad if you can prove the other drivers was driving in a unsafe manner but, the ;insurance; part is going to happen. Your insurace will go ballastic
Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #47

This is where the dash cam comes into play. I'm so glad I installed one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
Oh, and, around here in my area if you rear end someone it's automatically your fault. You are going to end up in court, pay a fine, possibly lose your license, and for sure your insurance is going through the roof.

The first ;court; part might not be too bad if you can prove the other drivers was driving in a unsafe manner but, the ;insurance; part is going to happen. Your insurace will go ballastic
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #48

Quote:

Agree, in Texas if you hit someone's rear bumper it is your fault, no questions asked.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
This is where the dash cam comes into play. I'm so glad I installed one.
Dash cams are a great idea, and they save drivers butts all the time, but I was a union rep for ten years and I've seen many accident investigations and trials from start to finish. Just because you've got evidence in your favor, it's only one factor in the court. Judges are frequently unreasonable, unfair and biased, and appeals to a bad ruling in a traffic case are almost an impossibility.

Before feeling too confident that your cam or your witness is going to save you from the idiot who is obviously in the wrong, I highly recommend avoiding the accident as the first plan. Being right means nothing when tons of metal are spinning out of control at high speed and you and your loved ones are strapped into the middle of it.

1,250,000 people died last year in traffic accidents world wide. The vast majority of those were in the right or innocent passengers. Being right, proving your right, and all the other stuff being talked about here is so meaningless compared to being safe and driving defensively.

In this thread only a handful of people have mentioned doing what ever they needed to do to avoid the accident in the first place, and I applaud them. For those who are focused on the right of ways and the wrongs of others, I repeat, stay safe, stay alert. The only thing that matters is getting yourself and your loved ones home safe.

We all need to get our head out of this attitude of being right, and instead focus on being alive!

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #50

Quote:

Dash cams are a great idea, and they save drivers butts all the time, but I was a union rep for ten years and I've seen many accident investigations and trials from start to finish. Just because you've got evidence in your favor, it's only one factor in the court. Judges are frequently unreasonable, unfair and biased, and appeals to a bad ruling in a traffic case are almost an impossibility.

Before feeling too confident that your cam or your witness is going to save you from the idiot who is obviously in the wrong, I highly recommend avoiding the accident as the first plan. Being right means nothing when tons of metal are spinning out of control at high speed and you and your loved ones are strapped into the middle of it.

1,250,000 people died last year in traffic accidents world wide. The vast majority of those were in the right or innocent passengers. Being right, proving your right, and all the other stuff being talked about here is so meaningless compared to being safe and driving defensively.

In this thread only a handful of people have mentioned doing what ever they needed to do to avoid the accident in the first place, and I applaud them. For those who are focused on the right of ways and the wrongs of others, I repeat, stay safe, stay alert. The only thing that matters is getting yourself and your loved ones home safe.

We all need to get our head out of this attitude of being right, and instead focus on being alive!
X2 - well said.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

All very true, yet insurance rates are only a small part of the aftermath of an accident. Even assuming no fatalities or lasting injuries (because for some reason we don't like to talk about the human cost of bad driving), there is often other issues. The spouse who is afraid to drive or ride along since the accident, the loss of that great feeling of freedom of the open road. Lets not forget the expensive RV that's night quite the same after the repairs, the costs of all the things the now more expensive insurance plan didn't even cover.

Accidents haunt us long after the vehicles come to a stop, the police go home, the judge makes his ruling, and the insurance check clears. I've been involved in a serious accident, all those issues are nothing compared to the horrible memories and images that never go away, even decades later. Thank God no one I loved was involved. Silly me, I forgot, we don't like to talk about the human costs.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 05-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't speak for other states, but in Ga. you are not automatically at fault if you hit someone in the rear. I was on jury duty several years ago. I sat on a jury where a dump truck had rear ended a car. The judge instructed us that in Ga. If you rear ended someone, it was not always your fault. He then asked if anyone disagreed with that. Two jurors were excused from the case because they raised their hands. The woman had pulled out in front of the dump truck and gone fifty feet and stopped to turn left. She did not signal the turn and the dump truck was unable to stop. We found the driver of the truck innocent.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #53

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
In this thread only a handful of people have mentioned doing what ever they needed to do to avoid the accident in the first place....
I do believe in recognizing right of way and doing what is expected, and this gives you a better than even chance of avoiding an accident. You can yield the right of way but you cannot take the right of way. You reach a point where it is necessary to avoid an accident. That point may be approaching the merge or during. I think there are very few "horn blowers I'M not moving" drivers, those that are can be easily recognized by the dents, scrapes and missing parts.... Also realize if you blow your horn, he knows you see him and to some, that's a pass....

Yesterday- Eastbound on I-10 in Pensacola, merging onto I-110 South. The Fla. DOT in their wisdom, has 2 lanes exiting I-10, The right merge lane ends at the same point that the on-ramp enters I-110. I'm looking at the established traffic to merge on my left while trying to track the pick-up on my right that is attempting to merge between the MH and the toad. He's obviously angry at the toad for not making room. Some horn and an abrupt head fake to the right with the MH, made him reconsider... (Not my favorite maneuver)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I do believe in recognizing right of way and doing what is expected, and this gives you a better than even chance of avoiding an accident. You can yield the right of way but you cannot take the right of way. You reach a point where it is necessary to avoid an accident. That point may be approaching the merge or during. I think there are very few "horn blowers I'M not moving" drivers, those that are can be easily recognized by the dents, scrapes and missing parts.... Also realize if you blow your horn, he knows you see him and to some, that's a pass....
)
I agree fully. Knowing the law and using every reasonable means to keep doing what's required of you by law is almost always the safest option. It was the attitude of "I blow my horn and just blast on through knowing I'm right" that I was speaking against.

Also I agree that yielding the right of way can be a very unsafe and disastrous practice, and it is indefensible if you're struck by a third vehicle.

My whole point is there is no one correct way to handle every driving situation, and only the driver themselves can make the determination. My pet peeve is when people take on the attitude of "the laws says, and that's all I have to do." Defensive driving is entirely about being flexible and making allowances for both the stupidity and malice of other people.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 05-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A lot of driver's do not know how to merge into the freeway lanes, etc. I've seen it many times. They will be driving at 35 or 40 mph on a on ramp. The safest way is to get up to the speed on the slow lane before merging. I usually maintain my speed, if I can change to the next lane, I will. If I cannot move to the next lane, I will toot the air horn to wake them up. After doing that, they will stick their foot into the car floor and do what they should have done before getting along side of me.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #56

What is even more aggravating is that some States contend that merging cars must yield to the oncoming lane traffic, instead of lane traffic yielding to the merging traffic. So now you have merging vehicles slowing down or even stopping at the end of the acceleration lane. This even occurs in States where lane traffic is supposed to yield to merging traffic and is a very dangerous situation. If lane traffic would just maintain its speed and merging traffic accelerated to match the lane traffic speed, then if it looks like one needs to move to the left lane, or if that is not possible, slow down a bit for a merging car to make it safely into the traffic lane one can do so.