Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Folks that do not know how to merge often become organ donors. Bless their hearts !!

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #72

Merging traffic

Here's a discussion regarding merging traffic and who has the right away from The Grand Rapids Press. This is Michigan law and I bet it is the same in all states.

"While readers may continue to argue over appropriate etiquette at highway on ramps, Michigan law leaves little room for debate: Merging motorists "shall" yield the right-of-way to existing traffic and adjust their speed accordingly. Failure to do so can constitute a civil infraction.

"This makes perfect sense because the non-merging vehicle may not be able to move or slow down depending on traffic conditions," said Sgt. Mike Church of the Michigan State Police. "The merging vehicle has more control over what it does.""

Old 05-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #73
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Folks that do not know how to merge often become organ donors. Bless their hearts !!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #74

I just recently finished an OSHA DEFENSIVE DRIVING COURSE since I drive so many miles for the JOB.

It is the responsibility of the person entering the highway/interstate to adjust their speed to merge safely.

BUT, one of the films highlighting accidents that occur in different situations made the comment:

This driver was right. DEAD right.

There are way too many idiots on the road today. Drive to protect yourselves.

If you consider every vehicle driver on the road incompetent (of course not every one is) you have a better chance of avoiding catastrophe!!

I will not state how many years or miles without an accident because that might jinx the MOJO, but it's a bunch!!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
Could be we have a problem with driver experience. Here on the left coast drivers license are issued after a short drive on city streets, which now lets you drive on 70 MPH plus freeways. Now add in the lack of the growing up experience of watching your parents drive (remember sitting in your Dads lap and steering) along with the modern attitude of "I come first" and we ended up with a generation of poor drivers who think they are great.
Nuf Sed !

Don G.
Ya, Drivers Education really took a dive here in MN. When I had Drivers Ed it was a high school class that took a semester and then you had all summer of riding around with the driving teacher as he taught you to drive. Back in the 90's MN decided to privatize Drivers Ed. Now you can go get your driverís license after 3 days of training.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #76

We all know who has right of way and who doesn't. For those that just hold their ground and not slow or speed up when a vehicle is merging to help the situation... do you really trust them with your vacation and your family's well bring that the merging driver will make the correct choice and yield right of way?

Since these situations can be anticipated well enough in advance, I'll slow a couple/few MPH or speed up a couple/few to remedy it before it happens.

My driving instructor when I was 16 told me something that sticks to this day... he tells everyone "You're a great driver, and you have to assume that everyone else is a complete and absolute idiot behind the wheel. Drive defensively, anticipate situations and adjust ahead of time and you'll be better off as a result."
Old 05-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #77

X10 Dieharder! Well said.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #78

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieharder View Post

My driving instructor when I was 16 told me something that sticks to this day... he tells everyone "You're a great driver, and you have to assume that everyone else is a complete and absolute idiot behind the wheel. Drive defensively, anticipate situations and adjust ahead of time and you'll be better off as a result."
My Dad was my driving instructor and he took that a step further! He advised me to assume that every driver on the road was out to get me, and that Victory is mine if I "anticipate" and thwart their efforts to do so.

How they must hate it when I yield the right-of-way just to ruin their day... Another notch in my belt!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #79

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Had that happen to me on Hwy 4 in Orlando.
Thank goodness for air brakes and engine brake. Saved me from running over the jerk!
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieharder View Post
We all know who has right of way and who doesn't. For those that just hold their ground and not slow or speed up when a vehicle is merging to help the situation... do you really trust them with your vacation and your family's well bring that the merging driver will make the correct choice and yield right of way?

Since these situations can be anticipated well enough in advance, I'll slow a couple/few MPH or speed up a couple/few to remedy it before it happens.

Nothing I hate worse is when im merging into traffic and I have my spot picked out and some idiot has to speed up so I cant merge where I was originally planning. Then I have to recalculate where im merging or just let my horsepower do the talking. I usually let the horsepower do the talking and let that moron get mad.

This is in my cars and not the motorhome.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
My Dad was my driving instructor and he took that a step further! He advised me to assume that every driver on the road was out to get me, and that Victory is mine if I "anticipate" and thwart their efforts to do so.

How they must hate it when I yield the right-of-way just to ruin their day... Another notch in my belt!

As I age, I find that I have made that mental shift.

When I was younger, I guess I was much more ruled by testosterone and was much more likely to stand my ground, not tolerate idiots, and maybe even press my point a bit.

These days, my mindset is that if I can just get off the road without one of the idiots killing me I have done well.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #82

Freightliner Owners Club
I wish people merging into traffic would at least come up to the speed or speed limit with the general traffic and then find their spot to merge. But, no, I always get the drivers who come down the merge ramp in slow motion and eventually everybody in the right line has to hit their brakes to let the guy in and then he takes off. On most interstates in WA, signs are posted for "thru traffic" to stay in the outer left lane(s) and this does help a lot.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
I wish people merging into traffic would at least come up to the speed or speed limit with the general traffic and then find their spot to merge. But, no, I always get the drivers who come down the merge ramp in slow motion and eventually everybody in the right line has to hit their brakes to let the guy in and then he takes off. On most interstates in WA, signs are posted for "thru traffic" to stay in the outer left lane(s) and this does help a lot.

That's because they are to busy watching the green leaves grow on their instrument clusters for maximum points on gas mileage.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #84

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

As I age, I find that I have made that mental shift.

When I was younger, I guess I was much more ruled by testosterone and was much more likely to stand my ground, not tolerate idiots, and maybe even press my point a bit.

These days, my mindset is that if I can just get off the road without one of the idiots killing me I have done well.

Rick
My sentiments too Rick. I had a guy going road rage on me just this Monday. I was passing a semi at 72 or so in a 65. It was a casual pass. I passed the semi, set the cruise and a guy following passed me. Without changing my cruise speed I passed him and he started going nuts flipping the bird and yelling whatever. I mean the guy was going beserk in the seat. I ignored him but he followed me off of the freeway. This nut case had me concerned to the point I called my 27 yr old son to have him meet me with a lasered .380 as I pulled into the driveway. False alarm as it was when the guy turned off before my street. Monday was a great day in spite of that fella.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote