Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #85

The more time I spend traveling overseas the more aware I become of how lacking in common courtesy are the majority of American drivers who have this sense of entitlement - it is my lane and to helll with anyone who tries to get in it and causes me to have to slow down or be smart and pull into the next lane.

An average car or pickup is 20' or less in length. The average RV with a tow is going to be 55' in length and in many areas there is not enough physical space to have motorists in cars merge with a RV or for that matter a tractor and trailer rig (much less if the driver is pulling doubles).

It is stupid to expect a motorist to slam on their brakes and come to a stop and then try to merge after an RV has passed the on-ramp. This is going to result in the person behind them crashing into them as they are most likely going to be looking back at oncoming traffic.

The smart thing to do when approaching an onramp is to expect one or more vehicles attempting to SAFELY get onto the highway and pull over to the next lane ahead of time. What does it cost anyone to move over one lane for a distance of 100 yards and then pull back into the "slow" lane? Good grief let's get real for a moment and step down off our high horses and get a little perspective for a change.

This attitude is distinctly "American". I see motorists in Europe, Central America, Asia that may vary in skill level but are universally more cooperative in sharing the road. They understand that owning a vehicle is not the same as owning the road.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
sense of entitlement - it is my lane and to helll with anyone who tries to get in it and causes me to have to slow down or be smart and pull into the next lane.
In PA you can be ticketed if you slow down or change lanes when approaching an on ramp. You would be held legally liable if you did this and caused an accident. The law states the merging traffic has to adjust their speed to merge. Thru traffic maintains their legal speed and maintains their lane.

This week there was a very serious accident about 3 miles from my home when a vehicle illegally changed to the left lane when approaching an on ramp and hit a vehicle in that lane.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #87

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
In PA you can be ticketed if you slow down or change lanes when approaching an on ramp.

Pennsylvania Vehicle code

Here quoting from Chapter 33

Quote:
§ 3313. Restrictions on use of limited access highways.
(d) Driving in right lane.--
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) and unless otherwise posted,
upon all limited access highways having two or more lanes for traffic
moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the righthand lanes when available for traffic
except when any of the following conditions exist:

(i) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the
same direction.
(ii) When traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow.
(iii) When moving left to allow traffic to merge.
(iv) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
The smart thing to do when approaching an onramp is to expect one or more vehicles attempting to SAFELY get onto the highway and pull over to the next lane ahead of time.
-
Ignoring the uncomplimentary generalization about an entire nation, I'm not sure if you are aware that in some states vehicles towing another vehicle must remain in the right hand lane.
-
I'm all in favor of using common sense when driving, but after forty years as a professional driver in one role or another, I can assure you that many traffic laws have nothing to do with common sense.
-
It is nice to know that somewhere in the world is a nirvana of courteous drivers and logical laws.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The more time I spend traveling overseas the more aware I become of how lacking in common courtesy are the majority of American drivers who have this sense of entitlement - it is my lane and to helll with anyone who tries to get in it and causes me to have to slow down or be smart and pull into the next lane.

This attitude is distinctly "American". I see motorists in Europe, Central America, Asia that may vary in skill level but are universally more cooperative in sharing the road. They understand that owning a vehicle is not the same as owning the road.
We have had completely different experiences driving in Europe, Latin America, and Asia.

I found the UK to be courteous but, try cruising along the Autoban in the left lane at 75 mph and I'm sure there will be a German come up behind you very quickly and let you know that you need to get out of HIS lane.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #90

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Raining Star
Can you give us examples of states that would require a motorhome with a towed vehicle to remain in the right lane?
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s MotorHoming since 1952
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Raining Star
Can you give us examples of states that would require a motorhome with a towed vehicle to remain in the right lane?
I believe that California is one. And the speed limit for anything towing is 55 mph.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Raining Star
California I know of. I'm new to the lifestyle so I'm just assuming there are others as well.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #93

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Raining Star
If you're trying to make a distinction between a motorhome towing a car and a vehicle towing a trailer, forget about it.

Lots of States push trucks and towed combinations to the right lanes on three-lane highways (Oregon and Washington also on that list) and they make no distinction when it comes to tow type.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a week made up of 6 Saturdays followed by a Sunday. I'm not in a bad enough hurry to worry about a little time lost in giving up the right of way on a highway merge issue. I base my driving attitude on joke I heard years ago in a military drivers safety course. The joke goes, "Young man appears at the gates of Heaven before St. Peter. He ask St Peter why he and his family are there and is answered in that he, his wife and children were killed in an auto accident in merging traffic. The young man responds, why me, I had the right of way. With sadness in his ancient eyes, St. Peter slowly responded, Yeah, you were right, Dead right!"
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #95

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The smart thing to do when approaching an onramp is to expect one or more vehicles attempting to SAFELY get onto the highway and pull over to the next lane ahead of time. .
Always room for one more.... Just get your turn signal on early..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #96

Vintage RV Owners Club
"Acenda Nesta"??? That there road sign's in Portuguese!

Got one of those amphibious RV's, Hooligan, or didja take that pic last time you were in Brazil?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #97

Freightliner Owners Club
Just an appreciation of the- other than American- cooperation and skill level expounded upon, resulting in this smooth flow of traffic.
Would not be in keeping with the theme to show accommodation and courtesy among the "entitled" drivers on our interstates..

Quote:
This attitude is distinctly "American". I see motorists in Europe, Central America, Asia that may vary in skill level but are universally more cooperative in sharing the road..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #98

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I believe that California is one. And the speed limit for anything towing is 55 mph.
In Calif you can use the right 2 lanes while towing, but should be in the right lane when safe to do so. I doubt there is any state who's laws require right lane travel under all circumstances unless specifically posted in some areas.

Glenn