Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
A lot of driver's do not know how to merge into the freeway lanes, etc. I've seen it many times. They will be driving at 35 or 40 mph on a on ramp. The safest way is to get up to the speed on the slow lane before merging. I usually maintain my speed, if I can change to the next lane, I will. If I cannot move to the next lane, I will toot the air horn to wake them up. After doing that, they will stick their foot into the car floor and do what they should have done before getting along side of me.

What about the retards that decide to slow down to 35-40 on the freeway when they are about ready to get on the off ramp.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Could be we have a problem with driver experience. Here on the left coast drivers license are issued after a short drive on city streets, which now lets you drive on 70 MPH plus freeways. Now add in the lack of the growing up experience of watching your parents drive (remember sitting in your Dads lap and steering) along with the modern attitude of "I come first" and we ended up with a generation of poor drivers who think they are great.
Nuf Sed !

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
What is even more aggravating is that some States contend that merging cars must yield to the oncoming lane traffic, instead of lane traffic yielding to the merging traffic. So now you have merging vehicles slowing down or even stopping at the end of the acceleration lane.
I've never heard of this. Do you know of which states this is true in?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #60

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
What is even more aggravating is that some States contend that merging cars must yield to the oncoming lane traffic, instead of lane traffic yielding to the merging traffic. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
I've never heard of this. Do you know of which states this is true in?
Actually, I thought that merging traffic had to yield to lane traffic in most States....is it the other way around????
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Actually, I thought that merging traffic had to yield to lane traffic in most States....is it the other way around????
Your right, I misread the comment.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #62

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
What is even more aggravating is that some States contend that merging cars must yield to the oncoming lane traffic, instead of lane traffic yielding to the merging traffic. ..... This even occurs in States where lane traffic is supposed to yield to merging traffic
I read the post the same as RainingStar. I am not aware of established traffic being required to yield to entering traffic. One state (MN?) was reported in a previous thread to require a mutual merge and burdened both vehicles to give way...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #63

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are coming onto the highway and I can't move over, then you should speed up or yield.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post

X2 on the post:-..Here in Pensacola we have several 2 lane left turns, really have to watch drivers on the inside lane, about 1/2 through the turn they are in the other lane. Often more a capability problem that lack of knowledge... Of course if they put down the cellphone, big mac, Oversize drink and fingernail polish bottle- it might make a difference.
My son was a paramedic for firedept. He was riding in the back of the ambulance ( no seat belt) treating a seriously injured patient and going code three. Came to a two left turn lane corner and had to take the outside lane to miss traffic. Halfway through the turn the idiot on the inside decided to change lanes and knocked the ambulance over on its side. He has never been the same since. You can't cure stupid but I would love to reduce the gene pool.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
There is only one yield sign and we all know where that is.

Through traffic yielding, causes accidents.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #66

The law on Interstate roads is that merging traffic is to yield to traffic as they enter the highway. It's nice to pull over and give the merging traffic room or time if available. But the merging traffic is required to yield to the traffic on the highway if space is not available.
Oliver-Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Merely a case of TWO drivers failing to respond to the situation where road markings clearly indicate that neither vehicle has absolute right of way and they need to drive cooperatively to sort things out. Given that these sort of situations are normally apparent several hundred yards ahead, it is usually possible
Perhaps if one driver had lifted his foot for a second or two and the other one had accelerated slightly, there would have been no conflict.

This is not completely true. The "Yield" signs are to be followed by the person merging onto the throughway. The vehicles already on the throughway have the right of way.

But don't fret about having not moved over when you could not. You did right by maintaining speed and not braking hard. If you braked hard and caused a wreck, that would not be good.

...my two cents
Old 05-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #68

I am amazed by all of the maintain speed and to H311 with the traffic trying to merge mentality. I think that it is important remember the goal is to keep traffic moving fluidly and safely. Whether that means safely creating space in front of you by braking slightly, or creating space behind you by safely accelerating slightly, or by safely moving over one lane that is the appropriate thing to do. We should all always do our best to be courteous and realize that most of the folks driving cars and light trucks that are attempting to merge into our lane have no clue as to our limitations and restrictions.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #69

As a retired TT driver having driven all the lower 48 and to AK I have seen this time and time again. I do the same thing in these situations too. I keep my TC down to 55mph and that seems to help. Your are correct - you can not fix STUPID. Happy trails, leo.
MASlowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
I am amazed by all of the maintain speed and to H311 with the traffic trying to merge mentality. I think that it is important remember the goal is to keep traffic moving fluidly and safely. Whether that means safely creating space in front of you by braking slightly, or creating space behind you by safely accelerating slightly, or by safely moving over one lane that is the appropriate thing to do. We should all always do our best to be courteous and realize that most of the folks driving cars and light trucks that are attempting to merge into our lane have no clue as to our limitations and restrictions.

what happens if you both accelerate at the same time or brake at the same time. By either braking or accelerating, now there are 2 variables. I will let the merging traffic base what they need to do by me keeping my speed constant so they can make the decision on what they need to do based on my current and steady speed. If I cannot get over, they will need to decide what they need to do to get onto the highway safely. I just followed a idiot getting on the highway at 40 mph while there were semi's and heavy traffic. Those kinds of drivers really cause serious traffic conditions.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote