Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #113

Tiffin Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Just wish all the aggressive drivers understood that the bigger the RV , truckers etc... The harder to stop! Can't say how many times we ve had to break for some little #%* cutting in and out...ahhhhh ! Take a deep breath and breathe
GFDOUCET is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #114

Aint it frustrating to know that there is nothing we can do to fix frustrating drivers?
Complaining is just venting. It can make you feel better for a moment though.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #115

Monaco Owners Club
Sometimes you just wish you had a cannon mounted on the front of your vehicle!
But then that would mean the stupid's would have them too.
Road rage is frowned on.
I guess your right all we can do is vent.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
I was right damn it............dead right!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #117

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Road rage is frowned on.
Don't have any cannons, but that air horn is an attention getter. I don't use it often because it sounds like a freight train coming at you. Yesterday we were coming back home through Seattle. I was pulling the boat (which makes me about 60' long) and this woman comes down the ramp next to me. She wasn't paying attention at all. I had cars on my left side and trucks behind me. I had plenty of space for her to get into in front of me, but she wasn't taking it. I kept waiting for her goos it and get up to speed with traffic. With very little on ramp left for her I hit the air horn. She turned her head and you should have seen her eyes. She waved, put the pedal down and got in front of me. Seems like a lot of people have their mind somewhere else instead of driving.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Amen!

Reminds me of the old George Carlin bit where he talks about stupid drivers and asks, "ever wish your headlights were 50 cal machine guns?" The answer is yes.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #119

So after reading all the posts, here is what I am now doing.

I'm being more careful on merging traffic, assuming they are not looking. I try and slow down to accommodate their inability to look to their left to see if another vehicle is present. I also now give a little toot of the horn if need be, that is if I cannot move over or slow down. Although I write this as tongue N cheek, it has actually helped a great deal. The horn toot has helped the most. Some drivers wave to say thanks.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #120

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
So after reading all the posts, here is what I am now doing.

I'm being more careful on merging traffic, assuming they are not looking. I try and slow down to accommodate their inability to look to their left to see if another vehicle is present. I also now give a little toot of the horn if need be, that is if I cannot move over or slow down. Although I write this as tongue N cheek, it has actually helped a great deal. The horn toot has helped the most. Some drivers wave to say thanks.
Check the position of the middle finger on those who are waving at you.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #121
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
That's why those Hadley air horns are mounted on the of the coach. A good long burst from them usually works wonders.
Yup, installed mine after several "brain dead" drivers tried to merge into the side of the motor home. Sure does wake drivers up. The other day had an idiot pull out from a side street right in front of the MH. Gave him a good blast and he responded with his age and mental capacity.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Amen!

Reminds me of the old George Carlin bit where he talks about stupid drivers and asks, "ever wish your headlights were 50 cal machine guns?" The answer is yes.

Rick

Just above the head lights!
TexandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #123

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexandLinda View Post

Just above the head lights!
Now I like that. The wife will never go for it, but . . .
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:44 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
This has happened to me more than once.

Driving my MH with toad in the slow lane as required by law on two lane each direction divided highway. Car is merging on to the highway. There is a car next to me so I can't get over, I can't rapidly accelerate and don't want to slam on my brakes and get rear ended. Driver looks and sees me next to him as he is merging and can't merge. Driver flips me the bird and all in a huff.

I see the situation as the driver not looking over his shoulder to see what's coming.

How to avoid? Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
This situation is the most common reason for calls to the safety departments of trucking companies on those 800 numbers on the back of trucks. They're so common, they have a script that goes something like this:

"Thank you for expressing your safety concerns to XYZ Trucking. Please note that XYZ trucking does not encourage its drivers to change lanes to facilitate your merging, since every lane change increases a driver's chances of an accident. We DO encourage our drives to slow a little, if that helps, but we would also like to call your attention to the law that requires the vehicle merging onto the freeway to yield the right of way. Thank you and have a safe day."

If I were ever to put one of those backward-reading signs on my front bumper, it might be, "So MERGE, dang it!"
Old 06-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
Agree, in Texas if you hit someone's rear bumper it is your fault, no questions asked.
Not so. Police DO investigate accidents, and if they find that this wasn't a routine rear-end accident, they may very well cite the rear vehicle, such as when a car stops nowhere near a turn location and there is good evidence it was intentional.

By the way, more and more trucks are equipped with video recorders, and more and more trucking companies are suing car drivers for damage. You DO carry enough insurance for a $125,000 truck, a $50,000 trailer, and a $500,000 load, plus down time, right?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #126

Quote:
Road rage is frowned on.
How about issuing everyone a paintball gun with 5 balls of non-removable paint in it, sealed, each time you renew your registration. If the inspector finds more than 4 paint ball hits on your car at renewal, you're an idiot and need discipline. If your paint ball gun is empty, you're the problem and need discipline.