Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2019, 02:55 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Another Carlisle failure

I’ve been on a mission to get these dangerous tires off the market. I think a class action suit is in order.

in Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2685.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	232482
RROLDSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Got any more info? Date code, mileage, speed driven, load per wheel, etc.

Evidently not your tire or you would have gotten rid of them since you say you are on a mission. I have nothing for or against the current Carlisle tire but before they introduced the radial trail you could not have given me one. Now they do not appear to fail nearly as often as the Trail King or other china bombs. Go back through the forums 8 or 10 years and look at how many many more tire blowouts were reported. Many of those were Carlisle tires. Far fewer tire blowout threads in general now and I don't see nearly as many trailers jacked up on the side of the road as before.

A little more evidence would be required before I could condemn this failure to a dangerous tire. Nothing gets more abused than a trailer tire, or more neglected.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did the Demco Kar Kaddy come with the Carlisle tires or did the OP change them?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I’ve gone through enough of them myself when they were one the only “trailer” tires available. You can use them if you want, I won’t and will tell anyone I can to avoid them like the plague. They are outright dangerous.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Odd thread.

The OP is on 'a mission' against the tire, and wants a class action suit.

So quit buying the tires and/or replace them.
I dont hear about catastrophic blowouts with them as much as I did 15+ years ago.

If the OP is on an agenda, don't just post a pic of something you found on the internet somewhere, tell us what happened to you.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #6

ST tires are rated for a maximum continuous speed of 65 MPH; and that is only when inflated to sidewall maximum when not exceeding tire load rating.

Tread separation occurs when the tire is overheated for a prolonged period. ref: rvtiresafety.net

A little-known fact about ST tires; mfgrs recommend replacing ST tires every 3 years regardless of appearance or tread wear.
BTW, there was a class-action lawsuit about 10-15 years ago. Best I remember it went nowhere, run a search.
If that were my tow dolly I would replace the ST tires with pickup tires - LT designation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Tire failure rants should be banned right along with the your truck is too small rants.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:22 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I hope you or any of your loved don’t suffer from using them. I’m outta here.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

In my opinion, a "mission" against a product that includes no substantiating evidence is just a nasty rant. That's not a defense of Carlisle tires - just a general observation.

Given how often tires, especially trailer tires, are under-inflated, abused and neglected by the owner, a photo of a failed tires tells us nothing at all. We make a judgment of our own, we need facts about the circumstances.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:24 AM   #10

I’m not on a mission but I had one of these blow out on me last May on I-80 between Sacramento and Reno, near Colfax. Speed was 55-60, all four tires were inflated to maximum, on a 2012 Montana 3100 RL, weight on axles was under 12,000 (rig has 2, 6,000# axles) didn’t hit any obstacles, it just blew! Tires were same brand/model as OP’s, load range F, 3 years old. Trailer placard recommended load range E.

I replaced all four of them with Goodyear G614’s.

Like most of you, I’ve read all kinds of antidotal information about trailer tires, which I take with a grain of salt. What would be helpful would be some factual information, perhaps from insurance companies claim departments, regarding brand, models and number of reported failures. Of course, the unknowns would still be loading, inflation, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2392.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	232538
Old 01-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
I’m not on a mission but I had one of these blow out on me last May on I-80 between Sacramento and Reno, near Colfax. Speed was 55-60, all four tires were inflated to maximum, on a 2012 Montana 3100 RL, weight on axles was under 12,000 (rig has 2, 6,000# axles) didn’t hit any obstacles, it just blew! Tires were same brand/model as OP’s, load range F, 3 years old. Trailer placard recommended load range E.

I replaced all four of them with Goodyear G614’s.

Like most of you, I’ve read all kinds of antidotal information about trailer tires, which I take with a grain of salt. What would be helpful would be some factual information, perhaps from insurance companies claim departments, regarding brand, models and number of reported failures. Of course, the unknowns would still be loading, inflation, etc.

Attachment 232538

One of these what?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROLDSX View Post
I’ve been on a mission to get these dangerous tires off the market. I think a class action suit is in order.

in Attachment 232482
You do your "mission" no help with your vague post.

Someone on a mission should have at least some information for the rest of us to climb on board with.

Provide so or you will be seen as a crackpot by the population.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:21 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
OK, consider me trolled. You have successfully brought me back to respond to your “Crackpot” accusations. I’m not sure what kind of evidence you need. Obviously pictures don’t lie. Google is your friend. Do a little research. The picture I posted was not my tire so I did not have any additional data. In my own experiences were the tires were not over loaded or over inflated. Don’t assume everyone is a moron and don’t check and monitor their tire pressures. I spent two minutes on a Google and here are some more “Happy Crackpots”:

Name:	IMG_2689.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	232732Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2690.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	232733Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2691.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	232734Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2692.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	232735
Old 01-22-2019, 12:23 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club

Name:	IMG_2693.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	232736

I could keep going but if this doesn’t convince you then I guess the “Gene pool” thing needs to take affect.