Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2017, 06:02 AM   #1

Another Directv question

Hello all, I'm looking for any new/updated information on my options for using satellites with Directv. I have Directv HD at home now, I would like to have it in our TT. We're new to camping, so we don't have passed experience with using portable sat. Using it at most camp grounds isn't our concern, our concern is we'll be setup at a camp in the hills of WV for several months. This area has no over the air tv or cell phone service. A few of the permanent camps have mounted dishes that seem to work fine. What options do I have?
carwash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Take your receiver from home and get a portable DirecTV antenna to hook it to. Everything will work as at home except no local stations if you get far from home. No phone or internet is needed. See antennas at Winegard Company: TV Antenna, RV Antenna - USA.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:24 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our problem with Sat TV is getting a clear shot at the Sat's. With our roof mounted dish it is 75% of the time NOT in a clear shot. Setting up a non auto seeking dish is a PITA.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club

If you don't bother with satellite tv during your normal camping trips. You may find that a used slimline dish is not that difficult to setup for an occasional long stay.
You can get a tripod and slimline dish for under $100. You have to set it up manually but you can practice at home. Use the directv box as your meter if you want to keep cost down.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
HaHa, you mean the portable divorce dish ?!?

I sold my portable dish. [mod edit]

We use ours enough that we just got two more receivers and pay $6 more per month for use in the rv.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:15 AM   #6

I see there is a Technology forum, I probably should have posted this question there. Still feeling my way around on this site.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
We use ours enough that we just got two more receivers and pay $6 more per month for use in the rv.
You may want to check your DTV bill. Extra receivers are now $7 a month each plus any tax if due.

Two extra receivers are $168 a year plus any tax.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:26 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
directv

i have both the portable dish on a tripod and the King Quest. Tripod antenna works fine but is more of a hassle to set up. I paid $69.00 for mine. The king Quest is more expensive $395.00 at PPL and very simple to use. It can be mounted on the roof or just sat on the ground or tripod outside the coach. The mounted option will often be unable to connect because of trees etc. The ground option can be moved to a location that it can receive a signal. It is very simple to use, just push a button and it is all automatic. Be aware it is easy to steal sitting on the ground outside the coach. Download the app "Satfinder Lite" to your cell phone, you can see the location of the satellites and any obstruction that might be in the way. Place the antenna in the best spot, run your coax cable to the exterior satellite plug on the outside of the coach. A device will come with the King Quest that you plug into the back of your Directv receiver box and screw into the connection in the coach for Exterior Satellite. Plush the button on the device and it will find your signal. This unit is not HD, we use the non-HD box in our motorhome, HD is at home. Hope this helped jim
450 Cummins, Jeep Wrangler, Blue Ox
jimallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 AM   #9

The King Flex is also a portable, and automatic, and does have an alarm on it....works with Direct, Dish, and Bell.......have used mine all over the US....and will support two different receivers....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160621_115000524.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	162840
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So far I've gotten by with just the MotoSat dish on top of the MH but I did have to go without TV one night over Christmas. Need to investigate a portable unit. Main problem with mine is the connections inside might not be compatible and could take some recabling each time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #12

There several easier ways to set up a portable dish.The easiest, is probably an app called SAToolz for DirecTV. It uses your phone's camera. You point the camera in the general direction of the satellite, and the app superimposes red dots marking the locations of the satellites, onto the scene that the camera is seeing. There is also a version for Dish.

That way, you can find the one spot in the area, where you can put the dish, so it can point through that tiny hole in the trees.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
There several easier ways to set up a portable dish.The easiest, is probably an app called SAToolz for DirecTV. It uses your phone's camera. You point the camera in the general direction of the satellite, and the app superimposes red dots marking the locations of the satellites, onto the scene that the camera is seeing. There is also a version for Dish.

That way, you can find the one spot in the area, where you can put the dish, so it can point through that tiny hole in the trees.

Joel
J Birder, will this app work if you in an area that doesn't have cell service?
Old 05-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #14

No cell service is required. It knows the location of the satellites, and just uses the phone's camera. None of the other phone functions are used.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv