Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Another EternaBond Thread (this time with paint!)

I've seen threads where it was implied that paint and Eternabond don't work well together. I have a 73 Holiday Rambler - Aluminum roof (nice!) but some of the white has gone away. (I have a large grey patch of aluminum just soaking up the sun!) So I need to paint the roof, and I plan to paint the whole roof with a product like KoolSeal. The seams were pretty bad, someone tried using Henry's on it, so that's all coming off. And there's a good amount of SilverSeal still hanging out (original roof sealant, I believe), so I'm trying to scrape that off or at least smooth it out. I'm not aware of leaks, but I have trouble believing it based on the condition of the sealing at the seams. (The SoCal drought does have its up side.) So once I get the seams cleaned out and acetone the heck out of them, I expect to EternaBond.

Question is, do I KoolSeal first then EternaBond, or EternaBond then KoolSeal? I like the second idea better, just for the aesthetic of a single uniform color and finish up there. I'd even be happy if I could paint just over the edge of the EB, especially on the roof inside the seam. But if painting or coating the tape has a detrimental effect on its longevity then I may reconsider my options.

So wondering what experience people have coating their roofs after EternaBond, or is it better to paint the roof (including the seams where I expect to tape) before applying the EternaBond? Just don't want to do a helluva lot of work to set myself up for a later failure.
micalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #2

Contact Eternabomd customer service. They were great when I had questions about using their product on my TPO roof.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #3

micalk-

No personal experience- but I used to own a Lazy Daze, and their user group has a lot of experience. Here's a link to the Lazy Daze Companion articles on Eternabond.

I suspect it's better to apply Eternabond to bare metal and then paint. But what do I know? ;-)
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
Contact Eternabomd customer service. They were great when I had questions about using their product on my TPO roof.

X2
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:54 PM   #5

You might find your answer in the Eternabond video library.
There are videos showing us how to apply Eternabond correctly in most every situation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:30 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
cool links
Old 04-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Note that Eternabond makes a number of different tape products and some may be more readily paintable than others. The usual stuff with the shiny (TPO, I think) skin might need priming to get anything to stick to it. I think the Eternabond product recommended if you plan to over-coat is named Webseal.

You can read about all the various Eternabonds at Eternabond Roof Tape
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:01 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks, Gary. I came to the same conclusion about webseal. And so that answered my other question about which to apply first. But now my paint question is... Do I need to prime any bare aluminum or can the Dicor Metal RV Roof Coating be applied without primer? Most of my roof paint is sound on the large flat areas, but there are bare spots. For regular paint I know you apply primer first but I'm not sure about this. Dicor website doesn't say, and I just sent them an email to ask.
micalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond