Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #15

We just got our renewal bill.
2017 toy hauler $463 for the Full year in Central NY.
kimmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2018, 06:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
There are a lot of threads on IRV2 about insurance, and one thing they all have in common, is, that none of them have anything in common. Insurance is dependent on your particular situation, the phase of the moon, its Zodiac, the timing of the next +tide......you get the picture.
Yes. Your statement is so true. But I am comparing two companies with the same amount of coverage and the same deductible on the same vehicles for the same driver registered in the same state. I am only asking what experience anyone has had with Geico customer service and claims service.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

They are as good as any other. They have online claim reporting and status plus an army of claims adjusters on hand, both in the field and back at the office.

What you probably want to know is whether they are generous or stingy, but there is no way of answering that until you have a specific claim.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #18

Give the Hartford through AARP a try. I'm not a fulltimer, but they usually beat everyone and are easy to work with.

Happy Trails
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #19

as an INSURANCE AGENT, let me add something important:

no one should be saying that 'xyz' company DOES NOT do this or DOES DO that... every company can do things different in every state - they may do a 'full time' policy here in this state, but not in the one next door. They may offer RV coverage in your state, but not in mine - even when it's the SAME EXACT COMPANY.
State regulations confuse the insurance environment - please do not assume that just because 'xyz' company does something for you that they do it for everyone else around the country.

Some companies view certain 'risk' or 'niche' markets as not in their appetite. They choose to do what they think will be profitable in the long term, not what everyone else is doing at the moment. With state regulations in play, companies sometimes WANT to do certain things, but are handcuffed, even when another company in the same state DOES do it.
Every policy is also different, do not assume that just because you bought 'xyz''s policy 20 years ago that folks who buy from the same company today have the same coverage, or that the policy reads the same way. It's a contract.

Insurance is simple, in some ways, and very complicated in others. Simple liability on your automobile sounds straightforward, but for some states it has variations and minimums versus others. Some states require Uninsured Motorists coverage, some do not, and some require you to either choose from 'Reduced' coverage or 'Added On' coverage. Some states require Personal Injury Protection, while some states just allow insurers to offer Medical Payments coverage. It's amazing how different it can be.

Throw in the fact that there are over 3,000 companies in the U.S. offering automobile coverage, and you can start to understand the nature of the 'business' - some are National, we all know the names, many are super Regional, somewhat regional, some in only a few states, and even others only in a single state(NY is a good example!).

We can all discuss what company we deal with, whether we like them, and whether we like the premiums, but other than that, comparing what you have to what I have is almost a lesson in senility. Do your homework for you and your needs, not what everyone else might be doing. Even your neighbor next door with the same house, cars, and rv will have a different company, different premium, and different experience, and claim that their company is the best!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #20

so true on post above. when i get a quote i always copy my policy sheet with blacked out premiums.. i always want the same coverage quoted so as not to skew the numbers. then you can get into multiple vehicles ect.. to many people get prices for a product and the product is not comparable. that's why the coverage sheet with premiums blocked is same same
Old 03-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I have used Miller Insurance in OR for many years. They have me with Nationwide. Just got my annual 12 month renewal and was shocked at the rate. $3,844 for a full time RV plus $1,383 for the Jeep and $421 for the Harley. $5,648 total. Called around and got a quote from Geico $1,153 for the RV and Jeep together but for 6 months and $184 for a 12 month policy on the Harley. That would be $2,490 for the year. All three vehicles less than the RV alone ($3,844) with Nationwide. What am I missing? This should be a no brainer. Does anyone have Geico and can tell me about their customer service and/or claims service. I’m ready to make a change. And yes the coverage limits and deductible are the same.

What does Miller say. I am surprised they have a lot of good feedback.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Well said, MisterT!

Miller is great on the initial placement, but I suspect they just let the Nationwide renewal process roll on. These days few big agencies bother to automatically review each renewal to see if its still the best deal possible. I think they rely on the customer to contact them if the rate or coverage is no longer satisfactory, and then they do a new search.

If you work with a smaller, local agent you might get the level of personal service needed to get an automatic review at each renewal and some comparison shopping in your behalf, but it's just not common anymore. On the other hand, if you call the agency and ask, most will tackle the job promptly.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance